Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 06:55:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[Game Announce] - Evolution War
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Game Announce] - Evolution War  (Read 1465 times)
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:02:21 AM »

Hi folks,
this is my current indie project, I'm working on it with 2 friends and I'm proud to announce you:

Evolution War is a turn based strategy game with strong RPG overtones. The game is set in a virtual universe in which AI bots have evolved to become independent beings in cyberspace. The bots fight for dominance in their environment to conquer their own cyber arenas and struggle to survive.

You can create your own bots, make them grow and evolve by adding new components and by upgrading and enhancing existing traits allowing for deep customization in true RPG style. Once your bot is strong enough it is ready to take on the universe in a campaign to conquer every planet in cyberspace!

The main feature of Evolution War is the evolution of the AI bots controlled by the CPU. They are procedurally generated and constantly changing, improving and evolving to continuously provide a new and exciting challenge for players as the game progresses.
The evolution of the bots will be controlled by genetic programming and other advanced AI techniques to provide a unique and individual gaming experience for each player.

Evolution War is a free game and initially will be released for Linux and Windows. If interest is shown from other OS communities then other porting options may be taken into consideration.

For more news and updates check out the website, follow us on Twitter or sign up to the forum.

Davide "m3xican" Coppola - Vindicta Games

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »

Hey, that sounds interesting!

I wonder how not having direct control over AI behaviour will be... especially if somehow the GA can't find some decent solution!

Keep us posted!

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:55:58 AM »

Thanks J.G. Martins,

The player keeps the full control on his bots during the game, the GA evolves just the CPU-controlled bots.

Anyway, more will come soon Wink

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:25:53 AM »

Sounds very interesting, indeed. But also very ambitious. Are you sure it's not insanely overambitious? Smiley

I'm not sure Announcements is the best place for this, seeing how far into the future the completed game is. Perhaps you would benefit from more interesting feedback by writing in the Devlog forum or perhaps in the Feedback forum? (But I have no idea what Announcements is supposed to be for to begin with, so never mind me Wink)

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:45:41 AM »

Sounds very interesting, indeed. But also very ambitious. Are you sure it's not insanely overambitious? Smiley

It's ambitious indeed Grin
But we spent several months working on the base technology before to be sure the game can become reality, as I wrote in my last dev-log post.

I'm not sure Announcements is the best place for this, seeing how far into the future the completed game is. Perhaps you would benefit from more interesting feedback by writing in the Devlog forum or perhaps in the Feedback forum? (But I have no idea what Announcements is supposed to be for to begin with, so never mind me Wink)

I'm not sure too, the Rules thread didn't help me, so I went for this section cause it looked the more appropriate, but if I'm wrong could some mod move the thread?

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 01:59:07 AM »

I actually read that devlog post and I really hope you can pull it off. But even with an AI in place it will be a huge challenge to get things to evolve properly and make sure the player can relate to what's going on. But, hey, I'm rooting for you!

I really don't think it's "wrong" to post here. Just that you'll have a better chance at getting some real feedback elsewhere. But it all depends on what you are looking for by posting here Smiley

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 02:19:53 AM »

I actually read that devlog post and I really hope you can pull it off. But even with an AI in place it will be a huge challenge to get things to evolve properly and make sure the player can relate to what's going on. But, hey, I'm rooting for you!

We really hope the same, well, we'll see Wink
I've just read your "Conway’s Game of Bigotry" thread, now I know why you're interested in EW, basically it's like a game of life with angry bots Grin

I really don't think it's "wrong" to post here. Just that you'll have a better chance at getting some real feedback elsewhere. But it all depends on what you are looking for by posting here Smiley

Now I see your point, but my idea is that when posting a "mere" announce like this, people can't give you a real feedback, they can only be interested or not, and it's not their fault of course, it's just they don't have enough "data" to make a feedback.
But I'm definitely going to post next important updates in the other sections you suggested.

BTW, thanks for the support Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic