Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:25:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallPush
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Push  (Read 3918 times)
Captain_404
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »

So I made a game which released this week. Actually, that was kind of confusing. I've been making a game (off an on) for over a year which just released this week.

Oh, and it got sponsored too. Am I still indie? Roll Eyes

Play here (<- co-developer) or here (<- sponsor).

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »

Oh, very nice! The mouse effect is really smooth.
I had some trouble figuring out that I was supposed to use the mouse, but once I did it was a pleasant experience Smiley

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »

I beat the first level without using the mouse cause I didn't know you had to use it

Might want to fix the "stick in the ceiling" glitch
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:57:22 PM »

I beat the first level without using the mouse cause I didn't know you had to use it

It's a feature!
(There is an early level dedicated to the explaining of this).

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

wasn't it actually the third level lol

the later levels are quite frustrating.

i dont know, but i felt as though the push mechanic could be put to better use.

I imagine that creating levels with a difficulty curve in mind must be really difficult for this type of game. (With screwing up the level design being a critical point of gameplay lol)
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »

Doesn't load.

ETA: Got it to work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:07:27 PM by Cheater » Logged
Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »

Saw this over on Rock paper shotgun yesterday. It's quite brilliant. Only minor fault, in my view, is that the jumping felt a bit too 'floaty'

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »

haha i did the exact same thing.. i had no idea you used the mouse for a while..
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »

Got to "the small tower", I hate disappearing blocks.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 12:27:42 AM »

Got to level 3. Pain and suffering. Skipped level 3.
ChevyRay
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:29:30 AM »

Great concept! I played this for about an hour Shocked which is the longest I've played a game for quite a while, I don't know what hooked me about this one, but it was cool.

A couple of the levels are just annoying, meaning not difficult in a good way. But other than occasionally having to fight the physics, it was a pretty awesome concept and not badly delivered!
jptsetung
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »

Congrats Ian, the game has been featured on indiegames.com (and on many other sites already).

It seems that, like Nitro Crate posted it, many people complain about the level design. JayIsGames told almost the same thing on their review. As far as I'm concerned I like levels with hard challenge, but I think most of the Flash game players prefer easier levels.

Maybe you can make a more casual version of the game later, with the easiest and funiest levels.
jptsetung
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 01:25:59 AM »

Sorry I didn't introduced myself, I'm the webmaster of bonuslevel.org. I just supported him during the game dev but all (idea, dev, graphics, music) is from Ian.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »

This is really polished. I'm not really grabbed by the gameplay to be honest, but it's a lot of fun to squish the levels around. Mouse interaction feels great.
Captain_404
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 07:00:13 AM »

You hold the jump button and use your sticky head to get across.

Oldest programming trick in the book, it's not a glitch, it's a feature!
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 07:16:49 AM »

You hold the jump button and use your sticky head to get across.

Oldest programming trick in the book, it's not a glitch, it's a feature!

you should have then put spikes on his head or something

It really looks a lot like a bug to anyone playing, because there's nothing to indicate that it's intentional other than level design (which, most levels can be broken really easily using this "feature")
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:18 AM »

So far I've played for a bit and liked it, but nearly instantly stopped when I got to the level with only the brown breaking blocks. Unless I'm missing the easy solution for that level, you have far too few time to get the pushing and then jumping right, several times. I'll give it another go, but if I didn't misjudge the level then it's far too hard for me.

It really looks a lot like a bug to anyone playing, because there's nothing to indicate that it's intentional other than level design (which, most levels can be broken really easily using this "feature")
Well, there's a level that says in big, even red letters "HOLD UP" Wink Granted, though, it could be made more clear.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Captain_404
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »

It's probably too hard. If there's one thing I've learned from the release so far it's that my level design/ordering needs a bit of work.

On the bright side, you can skip levels.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »

Naturally, right after posting this I beat the level easily. Still, I also feel that it's probably too hard for me in general, but I'll go on playing.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »

I'd say that your problem is that the "feature" of sticking to the ceiling interferes with most of your level design rather than being a part of it, and it's annoying as hell that you can't move a block left to right when you're stuck to it and stay stuck to it like you can when you're on top of it, it's inconsistent and unintuitive.

I'm all for bugs turning into features (a lot of features of my games evolved out of bugs), but you have to make it seem like you meant it, which in some cases means fixing the bug and implementing it in an intentional way so that you can expand upon it
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic