Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 01:06:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTrike --- public beta released :]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trike --- public beta released :]  (Read 1449 times)
UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:26:22 AM »

Hi all!

I've released a public beta for a game I'm working on called Trike.  I'm posting it here in the hopes that... well... somebody will play it!  Tongue  Best case scenario, somebody might actually like it.  :]

Download here

Trike is an action game with fast survival horror-esque controls. Your must fight against a mass of randomly drawn lines, using triangle bullets and nukes to clear the path. You should try to grab as many score balls as you can before you die --- and then post your score to the online high score chart!

This game is currently in BETA 0.1 form.
The final version will have more game modes, including 2-player versus.

I've actually completed most of the game modes, I just thought they could probably use a bit more tweaking before people start posting highscores and stuff.  Maybe later I'll post a video that shows off the other modes.

Thanks very much to anyone who plays the beta!  I hope you like it... and if anyone has any suggestions I'll be sure to read them.

---UltimateWalrus

Hansel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »

What a good thread to unlurk in.

I've played it and even more... liked it! My highscore was 15. I suck at those type of controls...

It was fun running away from squiggly lines and blasting some nukes around. One thing I didn't like was the control mapping. Using shift as a fire button made this Accessiblity Options dialogue pop up every 8 seconds, and broke the flow. I know that I could just turn it off myself but what if someone needs that feature?

Nitpicking I know Smiley

All in all I am looking forward to those new play modes. Will there be online play or hotseat kind of deal in the versus mode?

As for suggestions: custom made ship graphics! Would be great as avatars for online play (if there would be any). Many people would just draw penises, but hey, that's the internet for you Wink

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »

I admit, I didn't expect this game to be quite so fun!  WTF

The graphics and music touch me in all the right places.  My only concern is the controls seem a bit touchy... but I guess you can't slow them down either.  Maybe I just suck?  This is likely.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys!

The multiplayer will be hotseat only... I'd love to put in an online mode but I just don't have the time to do all the coding for that.

Maybe I should add in different control configurations.  Thanks Hansel!

A while ago I was thinking of adding a "beginner mode" that would be a lot easier and ease players into the game.  It could have less touchy controls, and less aggressive lines.  It would have its own high score chart too --- it would just be easier to get higher scores.  What do you think?  Is it worth making a beginner mode?  (I might decide to call it something else of course)

Hansel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »

Aw poopers. No indie friends to play hotseat with.

Begginers mode is always a nice thing, but I don't think it is necessary in this case. It'a always better to better the alredy existing modes than to add on new to cover for the older one's shortcomings. The challenge is a bit much now but with some tweaking of movement it would be really awesome.

But if you decide to do the begginers mode name it so it would taunt the player to go into 'expert mode'. "Wuss area", or "You are not that good at this game, are you?" Wink

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »

I like this! I'm not very good at these kinds of games (best I got was 4 after a little while) but I wouldn't want a beginner's mode.

There are a lot of great elements to this game, like the zoom of the camera, the multicolor explosions, the music. Good work!
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »

That triangle... IS SO CUTE! X3

But seriously, fun game. I loved the little instructions thing. I don't know why, but I just found it cute about how you did it.

Gameplay itself was pretty great. I didn't find any flaws in it. The nuke sprites seem out of place in the graphical style though...
UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I like the zooming too, though I was afraid it would bother some people because of the lack of anti-aliasing.  I guess that's why I put in a "disable zooming" option.

I put some love into the tutorial, too... glad you noticed that :]

And I appreciate the comments on the music too!  I am trying really hard to become a better composer, so I'm happy to hear that my efforts are at least somewhat worthwhile.  Smiley

Hmmm... well I thought the nuke sprites looked pretty OK.  Did anyone else think that they didn't fit the style?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic