Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 03:56:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMy newest game: Respawn Man
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: My newest game: Respawn Man  (Read 8072 times)
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »

Hiya guys. I've been working on this for a while. I'm not quite done with it yet, but I will be soon. Here's the trailer:

And here's the unfinished Beta: http://drop.io/solidplasma
It's an exe download, so if you don't trust me, scan it.

If you guys could tell me first impressions from the trailer, thoughts after playing the game, and any bugs you find, I'd really appreciate it! Smiley
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »

Well I haven't played it yet, but paddling your dead body across the water is a winner  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »

Thank you very much! Please let me know what you think once you've played it as well. Smiley
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

I have to say, I like the idea. Reminds me a bit of The Company of Myself, but with a more morbid bent.

The concept is great, but you might want to polish up the graphics somewhat.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »

Thanks, guys!  Grin I'm glad you liked it. Have you tried the pre-beta yet?

@GoldenMatenes: Thanks for your feedback! How exactly should I polish the graphics do you think?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »

Well, they're a little plain, kind of uniform. If that was the look you were going for, feel free to ignore me.

But maybe add some depth, some more background detail. Just a bit of polish.

AUST
ross
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »

I watched the video, but didn't try the game. It seemed like when falling from a height and trying to land where your corpse was, it would be hard to line up. Because you don't have any time to adjust once the land is in view. Maybe if there was some kind of triangle at the edge of the screen where each of your corpses is? I dunno, just a suggestion.

Another thumbs up for the corpse paddling. But the still images in your video had some pretty noticeable compression artifacts. Also the font isn't easy to read at large sizes. But that's just the video, not the game. Cheers.
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:52:01 PM »

Ok! Thanks, guys. I see what you mean about the art style, but I like the semi-retro feel, so I'll keep it for now. Thanks, though. Yeah, the video quality didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. The actual game is much better. As for the falling thing, it's easier than it looks, and you can place checkpoints wherever you can stand. By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for a good number of levels in a game like this? Though I guess you couldn't exactly know until you've played. Shrug I showed 3 out of 22 levels in that commercial, so you might want to give it a shot. I'll have a level select screen soon, but right now you can save and load your game. Also, you can only quit from the main menu, which you can quit to by pressing P. I may change that though.
SirDigga
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »

I kinna like the idea, it reminds me of braid, the fact you can not do sections without dying and using your dead-body to create a path.

I have not played it tho, but from the vid it looks pretty cool Grin

I don’t need to “GET A LIFE” I’m a gamer, I have “LOADS” of lives!
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:47 PM »

Ok, guys, thanks for the feedback! Though, of course I do need some feedback from people who've played the game. (Beat all 22 levels and you unlock zombie mode  Well, hello there! ) I know you're working on your own games, but it would mean a lot, and I'll test your game as well. Also, the commercial was put together in like, 20 minutes, so it's not necessarily an accurate representation of what the game is like.

Also, I'm thinking of charging $5 for this. How much would you pay for a full version of this?
LazyWaffle
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »

"semi-retro"? Bad graphics =/= retro. It's more like a half-assed doodle. Nothing wrong with that, if it's what you're going for, though.

Anyway, looks pretty interesting, I might play/
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »

Also, I'm thinking of charging $5 for this. How much would you pay for a full version of this?

It's an interesting concept, and could definitely be expanded but I would not pay for the game in the state that it's in. Especially with the programmer-art graphics, I think most people would pass on the game.

Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 08:06:28 AM »

Ok, thanks guys. Yeah, I can't draw. I'll consider redoing the backgrounds in particular. As for gameplay, have any of you tried it? I know; I'm not trying to be pushy, even if it comes across that way, but all you can really gather from a video is graphics, and that is clearly not my game's forte. Facepalm I appreciate the feedback though, keep it coming.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »

Team up with an artist. That's my strong advice to you. People will judge your game based on its appearance. Shrug

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »

The concept of the game is interesting.  However, without good animations, it feels glitchy.

Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 01:55:53 PM »

That was pretty fun, cool concept Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right, but as others have said, without fancy art it probably won't get too much attention.

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »

The concept is good and the level design has a lot of interesting ideas in it, but it's quite glitchy and the graphics are rather awful. I suggest you team up with an artist and fix the glitches, and make this awesome.

Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »

Ah, ok, thanks, guys. @Craig Stern: Thanks, I'll definitely watch your blog. I know some good artists, so I'll see if any of them are willing to help. Any suggestions on what direction I should take the art style? As for glitches, I'm still fixing them, but could you tell me some in particular? Thanks again, you guys.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 08:01:54 AM »

Often if a game involves a lot of dying, the art is either thematic to death (the latter half of Eversion) or entirely antithetical to it (the first half of Eversion.)

So either dark and moody or bright and colourful with lots of happiness that is weird and unnerving in the face of death. Not just bright colours, but also smiley things and happy suns and grass and trees and cute animals etc etc etc.

AUST
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:24 AM »

It reminds me A LOT of "The Company of Myself". Other than that, it's good (not good loking Smiley)

EDIT: With this I'm not saying that you copied, but that you must do something about it or other people will feel the same.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic