Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 01:31:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWonder, new video.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Wonder, new video.  (Read 4003 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »

I have made a WIP video of my RPG engine "Wonder".
My typing are extremly slow for some kind of a reason.
Feedback is welcome.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »

Yea, well I thought more of an asthetic and general impression.
Also, if you have keen eye you might notice the gameplay elements of this game. But it's not clear enough I guess.
The reason it is slow is because it's sort of a "multiplayer Rogue" in the sense that each turn everyone are doing one step simultaneously.
If it would be fast then the turns would lose their meaning.
Also, it is suspiciously happens to be more convinient doing the multiplayer this way. Smiley

Master of all trades.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »

Yea, well I thought more of an asthetic and general impression.
I think that an engine couldn't be aesthetically judged by the graphics of a specific game (it could be better to make a video with the best graphics that it can manage).

Instead, if you want impressions about the graphics of this specific game, imho it looks nice, but you can also improve it. I think that you could improve it operating in various ways: you can use more various tiles, you can add "background" elements (more trees, rocks, ...), and you can improve the animations of the characters (these are too simple).

So, I think that the graphics style is nice (and this is the difficult part to reach), but you should work more to add variety, then you should obtain nice results.

Also, if you have keen eye you might notice the gameplay elements of this game. But it's not clear enough I guess.
The objective of a video is exactly to highlight these things, so, if this isn't clear, you've to higlight them better.

The reason it is slow is because it's sort of a "multiplayer Rogue" in the sense that each turn everyone are doing one step simultaneously.
For example you can put a big writing about this on the video.

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »

Ops, I forgot... Please change the favicon on your site, pick one that is unique. Wink

Kottis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:58 PM »

Just a small design niggle: you need to move the comments closer to the names of the commenter, or do something else that unifies them somehow, right now the names part is pretty much useless because there is no visual link between them.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »

@Kottis
Oh, that's a good point.
But the GUI is a bit of a "placeholder" right now.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 12:38:08 AM »

New WIP screenshot.
The main issues are the head and the tiles being too bright.
The head is very difficult to improve and change, but the tiles are easier.
What do you think?

Master of all trades.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:50:34 AM »

There isn't enough contrast for the printing: the printing is white and the rock is lightgray, could you get the rock darker?

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 01:27:53 AM »

I intend to change the font.
It will be "pixel art" font. Made from bigger pixel. It will be a white font with black outline, so it should be more readable that way.

Master of all trades.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 02:01:03 AM »

I agree! That will increase the readability!

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 03:17:27 PM »

Here is my hand drawen font. It's big, but that's ok for the dialogs. The problem might be with chatting, because people need to write long sentences.
The font needs more work, such as the I and T which are too fat, but I just wanted to show it anyway.
By the way, I am not sure if it's ok to bump my thread like that.

Master of all trades.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »

Here is my hand drawen font. It's big, but that's ok for the dialogs.
Yes, you've gained readability. Have you lowercase characters, too? They're suggested for readability issues.

The problem might be with chatting, because people need to write long sentences.
I agree.

laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:43:37 AM »

I would go with more contrast all around.  Also the walking animations need work.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »

I have reduced the font's size from by to 75% of the original. Since the original size was too big. It was actually difficult to read sentences when your eyes need to travel so far for each word. Tongue
I will also make lower case characters for the font.
The funny thing is that the smaller font size made it a lot easier to make the font look consistent, without much effort.

Master of all trades.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 07:39:11 AM »

I hope it's ok to bump this thread.
Just wanted to show you a new screenshot with the font I made.

Master of all trades.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 07:46:02 AM »

That's really difficult to read. May I ask why you don't just create a bitmap font from an existing font?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »

I might do it for the chat. But all the font formats for windows support only one color for the font, if I am not mistaken.
For the chat I might choose a really small and readable font, but for dialogs this font might do better.
Do you have a suggestion for any specific font?

Master of all trades.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »

Don't really have any specific font in mind. It's just that the font you've made has a lot of issues with letters not being the same height and having various thickness. The height issues make the lines of text very 'wavery'.

How are you making these fonts? Are they bitmap fonts? And I'm not sure what you mean by "all the font formats for windows support only one color for the font"...? If they're already bitmap fonts, can't you pretty much blit them to the screen in any color you want? And, if you're already using bitmap fonts, you can easily create a font map from a Windows font by using free and downloadable programs for doing that... instead of drawing the font yourself from scratch.

Laserbrain Studios
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 05:33:57 AM »

A new video showing Rhen Pendragon from Aveyond!
I got permission from Amanda Fitch to make this avatar.
I already got two Avatars that "users" were making because they loved the idea they can get their own avatar in the game.
I am going to create a tool to generate avatar files in the format I am using.
Tell me what you think.

@chrknudsen
Windows fonts are made of vertices. They don't have any color. You can select a color for the font, but you can select only one color for the font. There are not fonts with color values in their vertices.
So you can't produce bitmap fonts from windows font that will have more than one color.
Although, I could write something that draws an outline around the font, not sure if it will look good.

Master of all trades.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 10:40:49 AM »

So you can't produce bitmap fonts from windows font that will have more than one color.

If you make the bitmap fonts white, you can blit them to the screen in any color if you can control the RGB value of the sprite when blitting.

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic