Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 02:45:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWonder, new video.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Wonder, new video.  (Read 4005 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »

I mean having two colors in the same char.
You can have only one color for each character.

Master of all trades.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 01:33:17 AM »

Ahh, that makes more sense. But you don't seem to use more than one color for the characters in your screenshots?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »

Well, the bitmap font is white with a black outline. So those are the two colors I was talking about. Smiley

Master of all trades.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 07:28:05 AM »

Bitmap fonts can be made from Windows fonts with a black outline, no problem. Here's the free program I use:

http://www.nitrogen.za.org/projectinfo.asp?id=12

You'll save a lot of time by using this instead of drawing your fonts by hand, and (with all due respect) the results are going to be a lot better and easier to read. Just make sure that it's okay to make a bitmap font from the font you choose.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »

chrknudsen is right about the font, and maybe you should try using an existing font. However, I think what you've got is already quite nice, if a bit unweildy. If the letter size is more consistent it would be more readable. I would probably add a dark semi-transparent background behind the text to make it easier to read too.

Font design is an art form in itself, and you can probably google for some best practices. If you're using the text for dialogue it might be better to have something that's been professionally designed, as the player will have to read a lot of it. For minor stats displays this would probably be fine as it is.

It's up to you about how you approach it. I'm inclined to agree with Chrknudsen becuase there'll be a lot to read in the final game and you'll probably save yourself a heap of effort. But I thought I'd point out that creating your own font is not a bad idea if you have enough energy to put into it.

Another thing I'd add is that boxes around/behind the text would make it seem more finished and solid, and it'll make the thin text easier to read. Just make sure the box is dark and simple.

I know it's early days on this project and the proof of the pudding will be in the game you make out of it, but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes Smiley

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »

I hope this thread necroposting make sense.
I can make a new thread if this is a problem.

Anyway, I want to post here an alpha of my game. I wanted to do so for some time, but I kept wanting to add more features so it will be more ready for an alpha. So I decided to just release an alpha now, otherwise I would never release an alpha.

There are some menus at first. You need to choose Play->Multiplayer->Guest Log In.
There you need to fill your Nick name, and Avatar. Avatar can be:
Warrior, Rhen, Girl1 and others.
Don't worry if you mistype the Avatar, it will give you the default in that case.
In the game itself, press Enter to chat(instead of 't' like it says). Arrow keys to move, and Ctrl to change war STATE.
You want the "sword state" to fight enemies.
In the game there are four areas, you are supposed to defeat the four areas before you can enter the cave of despair and fight "the boss" :D. But since it's an alpha you can enter the boss without defeating all 4 areas(if you know what you are doing).

So download the zip file and extract it. Then simpley run it.
Important, if the game crash, then please send me the Memory.dmp file to the email support a pompipompi dot net

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8025882/Wonder_Alpha_2010_12_5.zip

Master of all trades.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic