Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 10:25:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBest Friends Fighter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best Friends Fighter  (Read 1524 times)
edwood_grant
Level 0

The problem with life is that there is no OST

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

Hello,

We are Italo F. Capasso B. (Programming)
Diana E. Pacheco (Art)

I already made a post in announcementes, but apparently, it is only for announcements (me ->Facepalm)... and well I wanted feedback on the game, either good or bad. I hope I am not doing something wrong by posting again here  Embarrassed... (if it is, you can remove it, no problem)

The game is Called Best Friends Fighter, it is right now participating in the Causal Gameplay Design Competition #9 from Jayisgames.com
Link is here
http://jayisgames.com/cgdc9/?gameID=6

And you can watch a video here if you want (just a very simple traielr, I guess is longer than the game itself... Embarrassed):

The music was used with permission from ko0x and joule (You can fin their profiles in the mod music archive if you want to check their music)

--

I have read the feedback on the jayisgames competition and other places,  and this is what we have so far:

For the good parts, looks like we nailed on the music and the art is also real good, according to the existing feedback, and many said the story and general presentation was nice Smiley. I think we are kinda good in getting the attention to detail in those aspects at least fine... probably

And as for know, this are apparently the main design issues...

1. The robot creator is too long and boring for many...
2. People can't figure out how to make robots that are better or worse (and look at differences).
3. The game is too short.

I don't know if we can update the game for the competition since we have little time for it... but I wanted to ask here, since well, any feedback for future reference of games we make will be always good:

* General feedback for the game, either good or bad.

* We have no idea of how we would fix those issues I mentioned before... about the length.. I guess we can make them sturdier, thus the fights longer, but I am afraid that it would be too long and boring to see them hit each other and nothing happening. My thinking is that we'd have to make different types of robots, with more controls and different game on the long run.

* Dunno how to make clear about fighting differences between robots, speed at least is visible if you put a very fast robot. I was assuming that people could identify faster colors with stats and associate them, but I guess I was wrong Tongue.

* Don't know how to make the creator go faster, you will have in the end to put all cubes.. and we understood that was the mayor hurdle we had to cross for our game. We created the auto robot option, but at first no one seemed to pay attention to it, so we made it bigger and obvious in the selection... I have been told that maybe using "evolving robots" would be nice... say you start with four cubes and then up to more cubes between fights. But owuldn't be that a completely different game, again?

I dunno I am kinda confused already...I always end up thinking that the concept may be nice in theory, but in execution it just won't cut it  Cry.

Anyway, any feedback about the game, or any suggestions about how you would fix those issues (or any other issue you may find) would help a lot

Thanks a lot for your time Smiley
Italo F. Capasso B. AKA "Edwood Grant"
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:09:39 PM by edwood_grant » Logged

Glitchy Pixel webpage
http://glitchypixel.com.co
My articles at egamers.com (spanish) here
Vengeance is cold and sweet... just like an ice cream! :D
PS: Bogotá-Colombia is in South America
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »

Italo and Diana: great work! I played a few rounds, using auto-robots each time. Very cute, and I've still got it open in the other tab just for the music. I did find it quite difficult... I only won one out of eight rounds or so, and I wasn't sure exactly why I won that one time.) Take this idea and run with it, I think it has great potential.

jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »

Hey face cube people,

I like the engine you've made here. Fighters made up of tiny pieces that are shorn away is pretty cool. However, I found it really hard to discern a decent strategy to win. Playing as one of the horizontal robots, against other horizontals I found my best option was to just back up to the edge of the screen and wait there, and the other guy would usually end up dying somehow from his assault against me. Playing against the vertical robots, it seemed like the horizontals had a broken advantage in that I could just push the vertical guys over, and they pretty much lost automatically. That worked for 1 or 2 guys, but then the next one just kept cutting me in half as soon as I got close to him. I guess his AI was better?

I don't have a problem with the idea of this game, but it was not obvious at all to me what kind of strategy I was supposed to be employing, or how to win. If I put more than 15 minutes into it, maybe I could figure it out.

Did you ever think about having guns that shot cubes?
edwood_grant
Level 0

The problem with life is that there is no OST

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »

Hello again,

Sorry for not answering in a long time, been very busy  Embarrassed

But we wanted to say that we managed to get third in the Jay is games competition n_n

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2010/12/cgdc9_results.php

We are so glad, we don't think we did half bad... for being the first time that is Tongue

Thank you jeffrobot and dice for the comments, we did really thoguth many other thing, like cannons and balls and houses made of facecubes, and many other wacky things n_n... but it was because of the short time frame that we couldn't implement all of the stuff we wanted Tongue...

Also we did not make any single test session... that was terrible and the problem was also the time frame, it was so short we did not have a single moment to test.. and of course that generated the problems with the final product... basically the contest was the testing session (^_^")
Next time we wiell deifnetly make a serious testing phase, we learnt our lesson n_n

Anyway, thank you to all who voted or commented or judged (if you did), we really appreciate that we won :D

Thanks
Italo F. Capasso B. AKA "Edwood Grant"
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:44:55 PM by edwood_grant » Logged

Glitchy Pixel webpage
http://glitchypixel.com.co
My articles at egamers.com (spanish) here
Vengeance is cold and sweet... just like an ice cream! :D
PS: Bogotá-Colombia is in South America
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »

Man, totally awesome concept!

hi
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »

I loved the presentation and the basis of the gameplay, and knocking things over is always fun. My biggest problem was the rather long time you had to wait in between rounds. I estimated it to be around ten seconds, which is a rather long time to have to wait. I would recommend allowing the player to speed up the process by clicking the mouse or pressing a button.

Other then that, I agree with other feedback that the robot creator took a rather long time, and it was unclear what the exact effects of the different stats were on the gameplay. As for how to improve the robot creator, I would recommend minimizing the part that the random selection process plays. Maybe have a larger selection of blocks per batch, and allow you to quickly view their stats without having to move your mouse over each one.

Anyway, like I said before, I love the concept, and hope you keep improving it!

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »

That looks fucking sweet! :D

Okay, just tried it. Nice concept and beautiful graphics, but I had no idea what the different cube's stats meant, and the game seemed...well, there wasn't really much gameplay^^;
I would love to see a standalone .exe (I generally don't like to play games in my browser), and more customizable robots (not just changing the cubes on the grid, but deciding upon a design of your own). Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic