Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 09:50:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDelve Deeper: Our first indie title
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Delve Deeper: Our first indie title  (Read 1890 times)
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »

First TIGForums post.  Hope I'm doing it right!

Our first indie game release, Delve Deeper, has been out for a few months now, but seeing as how we're currently in the patching/DLC stage of the game, as well as the planning stages for a sequel, I figured it'd be good to get some feedback from you guys on the original iteration.  You can get a detailed description, screenshots, and a demo from this page.

Delve Deeper is, at its core, a board-game-influenced title with an adventure/strategy approach.  The game style is peppered with retro art and a quirky sense of humor you can only find in an indie game.

We're looking for any input; from art, to gameplay, to interface questions.  All suggestions are welcome.  The demo is, I think, version 1.1 of the game.  Version 1.2 has some fixes, which you can see here.

Thanks for your help.  I look forward to getting involved in the TIGForums community!

-----

edited to reflect game format
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:09:08 PM by Poplicola » Logged

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »

Not that it bothers me personally, but I think most would recommend you post in the introduction thread first perhaps?

Your game looks interesting... What format is it for btw?

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »

Are those dwarves on their quest to Lonely Mountain or to collect treasure? Make up your mind. Durr...?
That single screenshot makes it look interesting. Makes me wish I could give it a try (error: insufficient RAM). That's my feedback.
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:24 PM »

@Jasper - Done!  I've posted on the intro thread.  I also found the post setting that allows you to tag what format the game is in: ours is Windows only right now.

@Player 3 - I'll take a look into the error. What kind of computer are you working off of?

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:42:56 PM »

@Jasper - Done!  I've posted on the intro thread.  I also found the post setting that allows you to tag what format the game is in: ours is Windows only right now.

@Player 3 - I'll take a look into the error. What kind of computer are you working off of?

Ubuntu Linux. There's not much I can do with 256MB of RAM. That's a problem on my side.
theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »

I am sorry, but the trailer made me not want to download the game

-The (overly) ambitious open source cross-platform game engine.
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »

That's funny, we've actually gotten a lot of praise for our trailer!  Was there anything in particular that you didn't like from it that we could take away as constructive criticism?

Sorry you didn't like it.

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »

I played the demo a while back now, so apologies if there are patchy parts of my memory but as I recall I felt a little overwhelmed once the game was finally going.

Although the tutorial is comprehensive, it doesn't really show you as much as just tell you. This is okay in itself but maybe consider a level before the one you start on at present without opposing dwarves. Let the player get a feel for how to lay tunnels, fight beasties and retrieve gold first.

Having other dwarven teams progressing around you pushes you to experiment less and stops you progressing at your own speed.

Another thing that annoyed me was the AI constantly beating me down. I found that once one of my team was knocked down, he could never stand up again, other dwarves were knocking him down again as quickly as it was possible, I remember playing three turns without ever getting to choose anything to do, I was just forced to continue fighting.

Otherwise, it's quite a pretty game and it likely will be fun if you can learn it, but I strugggled to find time for it.
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »

capn.lee,

I really like the tutorial suggestion - I think pacing in the tutorial is something we need to work on, and I'll see if we can get that into DD 1.3.

As far as the overwhelming AI, you're not alone in that concern, and you might be happy to know we fixed it in our recent 1.2 release by enabling an enemy spawn cap, amongst other fixes.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »

that's good to hear, when you've updated it, i'll give the demo another try.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic