Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 07:23:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSlug
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Slug  (Read 7302 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »

status update: I am currently coding a brute-force algorithm meant to determine the shortest route in a level. No more of this human-error rubbish, I want people to have to work for those precious high-score-achieved stars.

In the future, only about 2/3 of the game's 200+ levels will be unlockable through beating or skipping levels. the other 1/3 will require the player to get the highest score possible on previously unlocked levels. (Which, let me tell you, is a hell of a lot more difficult than simply beating the level in the first place.)
Quikding
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »

download doesn't seem to work (0 bytes)
Xishem
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »

download doesn't seem to work (0 bytes)

Works fine for me.

I've played until I got to 3-7. I'll probably finish the levels you have tomorrow some time. I stopped there because I'm getting cranky and didn't feel like doing another 150+-move level again (but I'll check it out again tomorrow!) Also, at first I didn't realize that you could see which levels you got stars on already. On my first playthroughs of levels, I got 9/11, 4/11, 5/8 so far in respective worlds.

However, I really enjoyed the levels I played, and I really hope you can continue to add ingenuity to your level designs to create harder and more complicated levels.

I haven't had a ton of issues finding the solutions, but some were pretty tough, and some I found a few solutions a lot better than the high scores, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Speaking of, good luck with your shortest-route algorithm; I think it will add a lot to the game if you can find the shortest possible routes to each level.

Also, the moving guys will really make it a pain to find the shortest route possible. That's going to suck Sad

I had to play the game with the sound muted, so I guess I can comment on the music the next time I make a post.

I honestly can't think of any complaints. The game is simple, fun, and pretty addictive. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:13:06 PM by Xishem » Logged
rtpg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »

These puzzles are really neat.  I love the old aesthetic too, reminds me of.....well it reminds me of old things.

I guess the only real complaint is that on teleporting levels there's no real way to have an overview of the entire level..... but I guess that's done on purpose isn't it
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »

However, I really enjoyed the levels I played, and I really hope you can continue to add ingenuity to your level designs to create harder and more complicated levels.

It's my intention to introduce at least 1 new 'special' tile per world to enforce the feeling of constant newness and increasing complexity.

Speaking of, good luck with your shortest-route algorithm; I think it will add a lot to the game if you can find the shortest possible routes to each level. Also, the moving guys will really make it a pain to find the shortest route possible. That's going to suck Sad

I wrote a piece of code that brute-forces every possible combination of moves (of the lowest quantity I've found manually) but it's completely impractical because it is so slow (on my i7 processor, 1 1/2 hours for the first, 11-move level; more moves will result in an exponential increase - ie 12 moves would take upwards of 6 hours). I think, however, that with clever use of A* I could make the algorithm much more effective.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »

Demo download updated.

4 worlds.
54 levels.
And a whole lotta awesome.

There is now a reward for earning a star on levels (which is done by matching or beating the high score). There's also a level skipping feature now. Go to options to enable it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic