Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:20:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBeginner's Guide to Indie Gaming (WIP)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Beginner's Guide to Indie Gaming (WIP)  (Read 167352 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »

Some gentle critiques/issues that I noticed:

* The frames are really messed up on my browser (Firefox 2, 1024x768) - I have to scroll over to the right to read the article, and the picture on the left doesn't move with it Sad It's probably designed for a slightly bigger screensize, I guess.

* As much as I love Varicella, I think Photopia is the one to highlight, especially at a list aimed at newcomers. Also, after having another look at that description, I'm not sure it's really apt ("mixes wit and history"? I don't think that's quite right - the game's setting is sort of a freaky alternate history.)

* On the topic of Varicella, "Spider and Web" would fit in better as an "Also Try" for this game than it does for Galatea. Actually, Rameses makes a very good "Also Try" for Galatea, I think.

* I dunno if Façade should really be on that list... well, whatever Smiley

* Just a small thing: It might be nice to have a little notification if a game isn't free - maybe write "Free" in a dark colour beside the games that are free, and a price beside the other ones. Not a big deal, though.

* It looks like Aveyond is the only RPG on the list... Personally I'm not sure how well it represents the Indie RPG scene - but hey, good on you for giving A Blurred Line a mention, a totally overlooked classic in my opinion, heh :D BTW, you've linked to the original version of ABL - there's a relatively newer one that's about twice as long here.

I don't think I've got anything else to add Smiley Well, except to say that I really quite like the list - probably because there's more personal crossover here than I usually see, but also because they're really good choices. It's a great cross section of of the different indie genres out there, and a great introduction to indie gaming. Kudos!

Also, the introduction article is fucking hilarious :D

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2007, 08:40:59 AM »

@sequence: I already changed it.  Sorry about that.  It was the link on the top post of the thread, which I copied over (now also fixed).

I tried to link to the original developer's page whenever possible, although I made concessions for a few games, most notably Cave Story.  It's just easier to go through Aeon Genesis to get all the files.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:54:35 AM by Derek » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2007, 08:45:31 AM »

Yeah, I enjoyed the intro too, a great read and some fine metaphor there Smiley

Marking up the free games would be a great addition IMO.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2007, 08:57:31 AM »

Good work Derek!
The introduction is very good! Grin

I don't think there's anything I don't like about the list. It's simple, effective and you can know why you should play the game, as well know about related games or topics.

Good job!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2007, 09:26:54 AM »

Hey, thanks guys!  Wasn't sure if the intro was too much style over substance, but then I figured that "substance" just meant a lot of complaining.  This way, I think you get the idea and it's also a little more entertaining.

Echo, I really enjoyed Varicella, although I haven't gotten to spend as much time with it as I'd like.  Didn't try Photopia.  Honestly, it was your description of Charlotte that made me favor Varicella over Photopia. Smiley

I'll change Galatea's "also try" to Rameses.

Façade ... is pretty cool.  Although I have to admit I haven't played with it much.  The concept is cool, though. Smiley

Will display prices next to the games.  And later, maybe systems?

Don't know anything about indie RPG's, but I do feel that Amanda Firth is in a pretty unique position as one of the few successful female indie developers (that we know of, at least).  Aveyond is also a game that I've heard a lot about, so I figured it was worth mentioning.  It also looked a little more unique graphically than A Blurred Line, which appealed to me.  Wouldn't mind hearing about some other ones, though! Wink
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2007, 09:50:46 AM »

Don't know anything about indie RPG's
Oh, we forgot about spiderweb games.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2007, 10:45:21 AM »

this is wonderful, derek.
now i can just link the uneducated unwashed amsses to that page and well, they can begin.

only thing, i hate that giant exploding TIGS thing.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »

Why?  It's like the Kool-Aid Man, but even more awesome. Undecided
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

come on, spit us out one of your crazy-sexy digital paintings or something.
as sexy as indie gaming.
as sexy as you.
 Kiss

Monothu
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »

Breathing - America's true national pastime.
Oddbob
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:59 AM »

Love it. Great list, great write up. Superb introduction.

Can't really ask for more. Grin
Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »

Want another good RPG? Try Transcendence

Raf Vermeulen
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »

Loved the intro. One typo though.
- "We both new it was for the best..." -> knew

And I get the same awkward problem as Terry, I have to scroll to the right (on Firefox 1024x768) to see all of the page text.

Last release: sync::routine
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2007, 04:16:03 AM »

Ooh, good catch, Jimbob.  Thanks!

And try it now and let me know if it works at your resolution.  I think I killed two birds with one stone, because now the "Explodey TIGSource Mascot Brick Wall" that phil hates so much is smaller, too. Tongue
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »

Its awesome, but of course I don't need to tell you that, do I?  Kiss

So why isn't it on the front page yet? Wink

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2007, 01:58:52 AM »

Sweet! Kiss

It's quite a bit of text and I wanted to proofread it a bit more before I put it up. Smiley
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2007, 11:18:50 AM »

Echo, I really enjoyed Varicella, although I haven't gotten to spend as much time with it as I'd like.  Didn't try Photopia.  Honestly, it was your description of Charlotte that made me favor Varicella over Photopia. Smiley

I'll change Galatea's "also try" to Rameses.

Façade ... is pretty cool.  Although I have to admit I haven't played with it much.  The concept is cool, though. Smiley

Don't know anything about indie RPG's, but I do feel that Amanda Firth is in a pretty unique position as one of the few successful female indie developers (that we know of, at least).  Aveyond is also a game that I've heard a lot about, so I figured it was worth mentioning.  It also looked a little more unique graphically than A Blurred Line, which appealed to me.  Wouldn't mind hearing about some other ones, though! Wink

Well, Varicella is definitely the better game, subtler than Photopia but with a lot more depth... Though Photopia is the one that really strikes a chord with most people. I even know one guy who said he cried at the end.

On Indie RPGs - Aveyond is not really My Thing, but I can see why you included it. Honestly, my knowledge of indie RPGs is pretty limited too - I've played five or six really good ones, but there are dozens more that I've heard are "supposed" to be good that I haven't gotten around to yet. Just to give a few examples of ones that I liked, though:
Anything by Lysander ("A Blurred Line" especially, also "A Frozen World" and all his smaller projects, all of which are really well written and really well designed)
Blorp Zingwag (Short, but really enjoyable),
Diver Down (Gripping Story and fantastic Direction),
Exile 2: Crystal Souls (didn't care for Avernum, though),
Legacys of Dondoran (nice enough little game that kept getting better)

P.S. seriously, play Photopia already :D

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »

I apparently missed this thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.  I was on the GameTunnel round up crew nearly 3 years ago, so we ran in to much stuff the current maturing Indie Games movement seemed to miss.  I know GameTunnel is a bit of a taboo around here, but whatever, you're missing out.  Tongue

I'll try to save you the effort of digging through the archives.  Here's a handful of personal picks that aren't on the front page list, with brief descriptions why they should be. Wink

Mexican Motor Mafia - A top down car "arena combat" game very much inspired by Death Rally, with a classic Mexican themed "crime lord killed my brother" 'esc story.  Classic.  If you're unfamiliar with Death Rally, it's like the oldskool Micro Machines racing game, but with guns.  I'm not a racing game guy, and this isn't a racing game.  It's a combat game with car like controls, upgrades, weaponry, and such.  Excellent.

Land of Legends - The graphic have it's good and meh points, but the game is great.  A fantasy Advance Wars 'esc game, with many races, and each race has their own abilities.  To be honest, if you like strategy games, you should play it.

Jets N Guns - A beautiful game.  Side view SHMUP.  From the great atmosphere of a rock soundtrack, to all the subtle details of people running along the landscape being crushed by crashing/exploding enemy ships.  I'm personally torn between this and Tyrian as my favorite SHMUP.

UltraTron - Alright, I love Puppygames's work.  Their latest stuff all has this awesome minimalistic look, with great atmosphere and audio.  The best way I can describe their work is, as good as your memory of how much you loved certain older games.  Of course, when you play many older games, you realize many places they actually suck, but I'd say the Puppygames titles capture that vibe and modernize it.  Anyways, Ultratron is your Robotron/Llamatron 'esc arena shooter.  Two sticks of control, one for movement, one for your gun.  It's probably too difficult for some gamers, but it captures the vibe.

Titan Attacks - Puppygames awesomeness for the masses.  An arcade single screen shooter.  Very nostalgic.

The Mastermind - This was actually a very buggy game when I reviewed it, but I really *really* enjoyed it.  I  imagine it's been lost in obscurity, but I really had to bring it up again.  You play a criminal mastermind trying to build your crime empire.  Excellent.

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space - Dude.  I love this game.  Conquer the universe in about an hour.  Space combat, strategy, trading, fantastic atmosphere (Coffee?  Copy that.  Napkin?  Roger), I don't know what else to say.  I love it.

Virus (From Tamestorm) - It's probably a really short list of people that liked this game, but I think it's something special.  It's a sort of computer network/virus RTS.  It's very simple to play, all clicking with simple tweaks, as you amass a large virus army to take over the network.  Sure, it's not pretty, but IMO notable.

Magic Blackboard - Back in my day, we were amazed at how many people opted to make breakout/arkanoid clones for the casual games market.  There's a couple I think are notable.  This first one, Magic Blackboard is wacky.  It features fullscreen blur, and oddities such as what I call the "space gator".  I know a lot of people thought Plasma Pong was wacky, but they haven't played Magic Blackboard.  You just have to see it.  It's a breakout/arkanoid, but it's crazy.

BreakQuest - Number two for our breakout/arkanoids, BreakQuest.  It's exactly what it is, but it's physics and theme crazy.  Each level is a completely different challenge/theme.  Not just lame ass different block arrangements.  Many have different rules, like a centipede themed one, and so on.  If there's an ultimate or winner as far as creativity among the assault of breakout/arkanoids, it's BreakQuest.  Few games are this diverse.

Cactus Bruce - An oddball game.  While the round up was full of breakout/arkanoid clones in my day, this game took the perspective and did something different.  Given a breakout'ish puzzle, you have a stationary extendable claw that can grab things, and throw them.  In some situations, the claw acted like a shield too.  A very neat game.

Little Soldiers - Classic DMac Smiley.  I adore this game, 'cause I was working on something like it a few years before that I never finished.  Though my direction was towards an action strategy game, Little Soldiers was a puzzle game.  I'm not sure how to describe it.  A puzzle platformer with moves instead of controls.  Each tile is a place you can move to, in a number of ways.  Rockford/Boulderdash with gravity that affects the character, and no normal need to dig.  It's tough to describe.  Still, I think it's very cool.

Super Dudester/Super Elvis - This game doesn't exist anymore, but it was great.  A Puppygames title, almost Wario Ware'esc, with a great dark atmosphere.  You controlled Elvis through several rooms, playing minigames with different rules all derived from moving a character, and interacting with things in a room.  Sometimes it would be "collect" the things, other times it would be kill the things, and several variations in between.  This was a fantastic lost gem of a game.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »

The "Roguelike" link in the Dwarf Fortress description just links to the list itself.  Judging from the "Interactive Fiction" link below, you probably meant for it to go to wikipedia?

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2007, 04:02:23 PM »

Little Soldiers - Classic DMac Smiley.  I adore this game, 'cause I was working on something like it a few years before that I never finished.  Though my direction was towards an action strategy game, Little Soldiers was a puzzle game.  I'm not sure how to describe it.  A puzzle platformer with moves instead of controls.  Each tile is a place you can move to, in a number of ways.  Rockford/Boulderdash with gravity that affects the character, and no normal need to dig.  It's tough to describe.  Still, I think it's very cool.

Dear PoV,  (Little Soldiers only fan)  You will be happy to know that we are indeed working on a new version of this with rescaled art that's better suited to PC play.

The artist has all the animations rescaled and has the basis for several different tilesets to help add variation Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic