Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:55:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThis House Is Not A Home - ALPHA DEMO OUT NOW! (Updated: Nov 30th, 2023)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: This House Is Not A Home - ALPHA DEMO OUT NOW! (Updated: Nov 30th, 2023)  (Read 6160 times)
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »

Keep going!

The preview looks great! I was a little uninterested at first because it felt like a tech demo, with filler text for the button that didn't tell me anything about the narrative. Something to consider for marketing. But the back wall retreating really does show off your visual style quite nicely, and it makes the name stick!

While its challenging to let go of a meaningful name (I'm still bitter over No Truce with the Furies...), I do think "This House is Not a Home" lets a potential player know what they're getting into much better than "Feducia".

You got this!

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2023, 04:39:40 PM »

Really appreciate it. Although most of this is driving me crazy with all the constraints I need to put in place where UE4 makes it hard to do.

No one said it would be easy but you are not alone Newsom.

I just wanted to say, congrats on your release on Steam!

Thank you! Very nice of you to say that, and I am sorry I missed this post, I got so excited with the release that I lowered my time invested in networking to a minimal.
Now I started a devblog for the sequel.

It has been a LONG time since I've updated, posted, touched my dear FEDUCIA. A lot has happened in my life, highs and lows, gains and losses. Hell, I moved across the US and work Project Management/Game Design for a small upcoming game studio.

After touching grass and thinking about what i've done, I brought back Feducia, rewritten in a non-destructive form and improved many systems of the game in Unreal Engine 5 (Overkill much?)

I'll update everything in the future, but for now, a short update...and a new name. Feducia is now "THIS HOUSE IS NOT A HOME". The next step in my mental health journey.

Animated preview at https://twitter.com/sbnewsom/status/1703187762231263274

Glad to hear you are back on Feducia, also considering the current market event I am also glad you use Unreal and not unity Smiley

Keep the updates coming and use the passion for your project to recharge you with energy

Gentleman

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2023, 08:54:40 AM »

Keep going!

The preview looks great! I was a little uninterested at first because it felt like a tech demo, with filler text for the button that didn't tell me anything about the narrative. Something to consider for marketing. But the back wall retreating really does show off your visual style quite nicely, and it makes the name stick!

While its challenging to let go of a meaningful name (I'm still bitter over No Truce with the Furies...), I do think "This House is Not a Home" lets a potential player know what they're getting into much better than "Feducia".

You got this!

Thanks Sustrato. Currently any game content seen are temporary and don't represent the environment.Only functional demonstration. There will be a bit of Diegetic UI work, but anything seen is just there to trigger and demonstrate. But the sort of disassociation like that moving wall is something I want to be able to do more of, even more so as I want to utilize the dynamic nature of Unreal Engine to make seemingly 2d visuals lively.

But yeah, I feel that Disco Elysium gripe. lol But it didn't last long when the game was really well done. I think they settled for something that'd be memorable for the masses, not meaningful. Which is sometimes a very valid thing.

Stay in touch! Smiley

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2023, 09:01:36 AM »

Thank you! Very nice of you to say that, and I am sorry I missed this post, I got so excited with the release that I lowered my time invested in networking to a minimal.
Now I started a devblog for the sequel.

Oh, that's a mood. The juggling of marketing and getting shit done is insane. Glad to hear from you nonetheless. I'll have to check out your new devlog. Hell, just happy you're managing a sequel! :D

Glad to hear you are back on Feducia, also considering the current market event I am also glad you use Unreal and not unity Smiley

Keep the updates coming and use the passion for your project to recharge you with energy

Gentleman

Who would have thought using such an engine for something such as this, just to prove something to oneself, would be beneficial. XD I mean, I had my own gripes with Unity beforehand, but this and all the pain I see all over X Twitter. It's just horrible.

Also learning Godot currently now that Unity isn't a fallback option at work. Got to learn something viable we could use for projects that aren't "proving" anything and lighter for less intensive projects. Really happy with the engine and can see why a lot of other indies are able to switch to it with praise and comfort. Still a bit to learn, but it's worth the time.

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2023, 02:14:12 PM »

Your graphical style has developed into a very original one. It was interesting to read about the progress.

For some reason, Obra Dinn’s graphics caused me a headache after about half an hour of playing. Maybe this one works better for me.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2023, 12:58:42 PM »

Your graphical style has developed into a very original one. It was interesting to read about the progress.

For some reason, Obra Dinn’s graphics caused me a headache after about half an hour of playing. Maybe this one works better for me.

It might be a long shot, but I hope this game will be more playable for you since the gameplay is semi-fixed camera.

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2023, 01:25:38 PM »

b a b y s t e p s

Missed out on Screenshot Saturday, but better late than never. The last week I've been focused on integrating the intended features from the 2021-2022 development.

This includes palette swapping, functional gameplay interface, grid movement system, per-char bitmap fonts and markup for custom animations and colors, heartrate/stress mechanics, a bunch of new graphical assets and a few other minor background elements.

With the addition of grid-based player movement, I have to rethink how environmental elements are laid out and conveyed to the player. On the beneficial side, this would allow me to expand on a few other horror elements and give the world a more interactive feel. Gameplay will still offer mouse only input, but for those needing it, WASD is still an option for movement.

This week I'll be working on integrating the inventory system and its visual counterpart. If there is still time, I'll continue greyboxing the rooms of the house and the exterior.

With that out of the way, I made a short video of where I am at with the game. Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/sbnewsom/status/1706419655601004695
(and the gif preview in case you don't care for eX-Twitter.)

Nevermind, gif doesn't work. Laaaaaaaaame.

BestFriendStudio
Level 0

One man studio with ton of pixels

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2023, 03:29:40 PM »

Gameplay preview felt really disturbing in a strange but good way. It's far more advanced that what I've imagined while looking at previous screenshots, and old computer interface at the beginning is just spot on.

People need to hear about this one, since I'm sure there's many fans of the genre who would enjoy playing it.

And your current logo is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. All my compliments.

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 07:53:46 AM »

Gameplay preview felt really disturbing in a strange but good way. It's far more advanced that what I've imagined while looking at previous screenshots, and old computer interface at the beginning is just spot on.

People need to hear about this one, since I'm sure there's many fans of the genre who would enjoy playing it.

And your current logo is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. All my compliments.

Thanks for all the kind words. I hope everyone will enjoy the intended atmosphere I hope to give players. Hopefully when I release the "remastered" demo of the original game jam release next month, people will get a better idea of what I'm going fore.

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2023, 08:09:26 AM »

Control and Config

Sometimes you just got to be impressed with yourself to prove you aren't completely worthless. As I brought up before, since the 2021 version of Feducia where Integer Scaling and Palette switching was all Duct Tape and Bubblegummed together, I had created a more non-destructive system of that.

Now the Integer scaling system overrides not rewrites the engine so using a custom build of UE is no longer needed. So this week, I set out to do more.

The Integer Scaling system now relies on a custom Game User Setting's object, storing and retrieving things like Base Resolution (Any resolution a game would need to scale up from). Why is this special? Well this system can now be used for any game that wants to use retro styled game resolutions. All of this can also be change and retrieved through blueprints, so things like UMG can take this into account when calculating scaling or virtual cursors.

With that sort of educational revelation during my journey to get sh*t done, I took it to the next level. I had now incorporated that system with the Color Palette system. The player can choose to use the "Original" color palette (This just means the game will swap out palettes intended for any given scene in the game) or a selection of palettes.

That isnt all that got done this week. I programmed and designed the game's intro(s) and main menu(s) for the game. Since it's retro inspired, I wanted to go all in on the aesthetic. Especially since this sort of thing I can shove a ton of easter eggs and world building that you have to go in and search for, throughout the game.

Currently the main menu music is temporary. It is "copyrighted". It's Welcome Home by Coheed & Cambria by 8-bit Misfits. There's a whole story behind me adding this song for the hell of it. It was a Spotify generated playlist and after realizing the name of the song and how I use to listen to Coheed back in high school...I realized the premise of the song and this game fit so well together...now if only I could get my boss to manage licensing the song for me. That'd be super sweet. No, I don't think so. I'd rather the game stand on it's own, with its own musical score and assets. Cool thought though.

You can check it out below in the video I quickly made to prove i'm not useless. lol

What else was done? I started working on the glitch system. A sort of tile-based displacement of the screen to imitated data corruption.

I posted a short video of it on my X Twitter. If you haven't done so already...gib follow? -w- I wish it didnt feel like screaming into the void on my prof social media accounts. haha
https://twitter.com/sbnewsom/status/1706767419715596352

I also have begone working on the Save/Load system. You might have spotted a "Continue" button on the main menu. It works ok. Three save slots, each with their own thumbnail, date, location. Trying to hit all the function development first before I go all in on the creative flow. Less time I spend flip flopping between programming and art, the better. Trying to get all of that out of the way so I can get at least a demo out by next month.

That is all for this week. Let me know what you all think!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 08:25:42 AM by s.b.Newsom » Logged

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2023, 08:27:14 AM »

I will not stress myself out by thinking I can get the game up on steam with all the visuals, info and links with demo....by Next Fest. It'd help if you all could say the same thing....so I don't even try. lol

wristworkdev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »

I will not stress myself out by thinking I can get the game up on steam with all the visuals, info and links with demo....by Next Fest. It'd help if you all could say the same thing....so I don't even try. lol

The art style is extremely cool! In your shoes I'd personally take my time with things and wait until the next one, only because it would be a shame if the timing is too tight to do it full justice. The potential is clear!
s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2023, 05:46:45 AM »

The art style is extremely cool! In your shoes I'd personally take my time with things and wait until the next one, only because it would be a shame if the timing is too tight to do it full justice. The potential is clear!

Yeah, I agree. I did a little digging and found the next fest 2024 will be in February, which will be a better time to go all in. I'll most likely just keep the October demo on Itch.io for the time being so I don't stretch myself thin with marketing assets.

I should be done with most foundational systems for the game this week. Then hopefully, I can start making assets for the game and have viable screenshots of the prototype remake for a halloween demo.

Flenn
Level 0

Composer musician

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »

Hi, I like your game, if you think about adding music or sound effects, I'm willing to create them, I leave you my previous works:
https://www.instagram.com/flen__campos/?hl=es-la
s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2023, 02:22:06 PM »

Hi, I like your game, if you think about adding music or sound effects, I'm willing to create them, I leave you my previous works:
https://www.instagram.com/flen__campos/?hl=es-la

Thanks for the offer. Currently I'm stuck between composing the music myself and possibly work with my boss for the soundtrack. If I do need an extra hand, I'll definitely throw a bone your way!

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2023, 02:50:31 PM »

Road to Nov 15th

If you don't follow me on Twitter or Itch.io, I made a lengthy announcement October 31st. You can check it out at https://sbnewsom.itch.io/notahome/devlog/231309/new-screenshots-name-change-devlog-poll-early-alpha-demo-date

Among the article, I posted up new screenshots, announced the name change publicly and a release date for the Early Alpha Demo to get everyone's toes wet for the game. (November 15th - Itch.io)

Originally, I wanted to release the demo unexpectedly on Itch.io on that day, but obstacles like depression, underestimating the work needed to get done for the demo and a variety of obligations IRL, got in the way.

So now it's November 10th. About five days until I package the demo for release. Still quite a bit of work left to do before I can comfortably release it.

On my docket, five audio tracks, four character models (three NPC meshes and one recreation of the monster from the original Feducia Game Jam demo) and the final touches to the writing and cinematics.

As much as this sounds like a tough order...I've done some of my best work on tight schedules. Don't worry though, I'm setting my limits and not crunching it. Don't need the mental fog of crunch to degrade the quality of the demo. If need be, I'll make the necessary delay announcement come Nov 15th. No more than a few days delay at most.

Just played what I have so far and I feel like it captures the unique feel I want for the game. Alan Wake 2, which I have fallen absolutely in love with, gave me the confidence that my vibe-based design decisions will work in the end for the game and the demo. (Seriously, Alan Wake 2 is THAT F*CKING GOOD).

And for #FollowFriday, I posted up two new screenshots. Gradually populating environments wherever I can to give the world that look and feel of a hand drawn PC-98 adventure game.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. Smiley

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2023, 05:03:14 AM »

Nice, so 4 days until the Demo release, please do share your results with us.

Regarding visuals, I see you are on top of high atmospheric value.

Gentleman

s.b.Newsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2023, 04:52:46 AM »

Early Alpha "Concept Demo" Out Now!

A lot of love and time was spent on this ever since its conception during the Brackeys Game Jam back in early 2021. There is a lot in store for the full game, but with this demo, I'd love to hear what you think with the direction its heading. A variety of elements were implemented over the last two years, taken from a few of my older game ideas. Elements such as FMV cutscenes, vibe-based game design and secondary game mechanics that give life to every step of the game.

Like it says at the start of the game, if you spot bugs/crashes, please let me know on your social media platform of choice (@sbnewsom) or as a comment on here. I'll do my best to get hotfixes and patches out as soon as I can.

Every bit of response I can get, will help me sell this project to my team and prioritize its development. Like, share, review.

There still so much to the game to explore. Love you all! Now I'm going to take a much-needed vacation.

RECOMMENDED SPECS (NEEDS TESTING for more Accurate Specs):
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i3 or AMD Ryzen 3
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080/ AMD RX56
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 2 GB available space

Download Now

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic