Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 08:37:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJUX (Collaboration with Amon26) DEMO
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: JUX (Collaboration with Amon26) DEMO  (Read 4703 times)
Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »

JUX

Amon26 and I are working on a new shmup called JUX. It has a neat little gimmick that I think you'll like :D

Anyway, we just finished the first stage of the game, and we wanna know what you guys think about it so far.

For those of you wondering, here's our duties in the collab

Me: Programming, some graphics, level design
Amon26: Most of the graphics, Music

Get the demo here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2074248/JUX.zip

ACTION-52-51114E85

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »

This is pretty cool.  HIGH FIVE.
Frostblade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:18:53 PM »

Christ that was hard.

Graphics and music were trendy-awesome, and the concept is pretty interesting. My only complaint is that the level design seemed a bit less "enjoyable but challenging" and a bit more "punch you in the face over and over again".
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »

I like it, probably your best effort yet, Scatman Smiley
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »

That IS a neat gimmick!

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »

Demo cleared! Score: 3400

This was pretty cool, definitely ended too quickly though... make more! 

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:44:05 PM »

I love shmups, and the mechanics/set-up of this one make a nice change from the usual. Great stuff so far; nice graphic style and music. Keep up the awesome work guys! I'll be keeping my eyes on this one. Grin

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »

I got this when I started it:

for object musictitle:

Failed to play song -
The music still played and stuff though.

I agree with Frostblade's comments...

The direction mechanic is neat, and I wish I had a bit more vertical room to play around with.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:49 AM »

Christ that was hard.

Graphics and music were trendy-awesome, and the concept is pretty interesting. My only complaint is that the level design seemed a bit less "enjoyable but challenging" and a bit more "punch you in the face over and over again".

Pfft, this was easy as hell. Once you figure out the general movement of the enemies, it's simple to get through.

Anyway, I look forward to more.  Smiley

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:07 AM »

Are those blocky ships you see after the orange jumping monkey things indestructible? Weaving between them is monumentally difficult with the current movement system.

If you want anybody to make it more than about ten seconds into your game, something's gonna have to change.

I like the concept, but it's too crowded at the moment. I would appreciate a much larger playing field. As things currently are, you basically have to die whenever anything new is introduced, then you memorize where the enemies show up at that point only to immediately die at the next set of enemies. If there were advance warning (IE, a larger field so that you could see the bad dudes from further out) of enemies approaching, you could more effectively deal with them instead of dieing until you understand their movement pattern.

I don't really like the jumping monkeys, because they only display their mechanic once (jumping). If you turn it into a pattern, that is to say having them jump twice while on the screen (once as soon as they enter and then again about halfway down the screen), the player can get an idea of what their movement pattern is before having to deal with them.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:21 AM »

This is a good concept, with funky art, fast gameplay, and even checkpoints. WOW!
I want to see at least 5 totally different levels and crazy tentacle bossfights and then this won't be removed from my harddisk.

<3

Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 06:49:43 AM »

I have just test it and even if I really enjoy the concept of the vertical shoot while having an horizontal progression, I share Valter's comments:

- There is no way to avoid successive and cumulative deaths in order to progress in the game (fortunately, there is no "life" in this demo so people can try and try again without losing patience).

- As Valter suggest, a larger playing field will be more than welcome

One question : What are your next steps? Create more levels? Adding features (e.g.: an upgrade area after each level or some power booster bonus in game)? Change some mechanics such as pattern rules, level design, movement system, etc.?
Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »

I have just test it and even if I really enjoy the concept of the vertical shoot while having an horizontal progression, I share Valter's comments:

- There is no way to avoid successive and cumulative deaths in order to progress in the game (fortunately, there is no "life" in this demo so people can try and try again without losing patience).

- As Valter suggest, a larger playing field will be more than welcome

One question : What are your next steps? Create more levels? Adding features (e.g.: an upgrade area after each level or some power booster bonus in game)? Change some mechanics such as pattern rules, level design, movement system, etc.?

I was actually just thinking of adding 2 more stages and a boss at the very end. an upgrade shop would be awesome, but I just don't know what I could update... ( I'm also gonna make it so the ship can take 3 hits before dying, except on big things, like the carriers)

@ Valter: I actually like your idea of establishing the gold armadillos' movement pattern before it gets to you. I'll add that to the game and see how it goes  Grin  Hand Thumbs Up Right

@ starsrift: Hmm? That's odd... I'll check that out too

But yeah, thanks everyone! as a special treat to all of you, here's a screenshot of stage 2:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:00:27 PM by Scattle » Logged

ACTION-52-51114E85

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 06:30:41 AM »

3950! I win!

Cool concept!
The music however would do some remastering for big headphones. I mean, the tune is cool, but it's to heavy on my ears using headphones

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 07:05:39 AM »

This is a pretty great concept! Just need some better level design and this will shine like a diamond.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »

Yeah this is a lot of fun. Was very relieved when I reached the first checkpoint and confirmed their existence Tongue

Maybe a "precise movement key" would add a bit more depth? Like, hold C and you move at half speed or whatever.

Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »

It has a neat little gimmick that I think you'll like :D

Interesting... could there be levels where the line is vertical? Hand Thumbs Up Left

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »

Yay!  Demo cleared!  Very fun, clean graphics, and good fast gameplay.  I was also quite thankful for the checkpoints. 

As Sos mentioned, I think the music could use a little mastering work if only for the purpose of being less heavy for those wearing headphones.  I deal with this issue often, so I usually try to test out the music using different speak mediums.  Anyways, besides that this was really fun... I want more Tongue

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »

Thanks guys!!

I've been thinking recently about, maybe entering this game into this year's Indiecade!

Do you think the game stands a chance?

ACTION-52-51114E85

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »

Very cool, took me a moment to figure it out, but definitely interesting. Looking forward to see what else you can do with the idea.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic