Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 02:36:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCleril Calamity Studio Games: 5 playable, 1 done, 6 total, *Peekaboo Finished!*
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Cleril Calamity Studio Games: 5 playable, 1 done, 6 total, *Peekaboo Finished!*  (Read 12203 times)
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:36:41 PM »

Haven 2 is the sequel to Haven.  since I cannot work on Haven anymore due to disorganization i decided to just do a better game, Haven 2, which kicks things off from Haven.  You don't have to have played Haven to understand the story.

Download the intro here:  http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lj3znwwdnum

It's just the intro.  I made all of the music and the crying sounds.  Only the laugh I didn't do.

Feedback would be nice on this specifically.

Hello, it's me, Cleril, the sole person in Cleril Calamity Studios.  I decided to just make one topic for all games made by me instead of making separate topics for each.  All of the games are free, always will be, I do ask for feedback though.

I will change the topic title when something is updated.

The games are in the order they were made:

Haven V 0.4.8 is a game involving a bard, Cleril, going to Haven to help out the town which is having economic problems.  The Mayor specifically wants cleril's help because of his way with words.  It's a Non-Combat RPG with puzzle and horror elements.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dxemtmtjjiw

Password is Cleril, capital C.

Time spent making: 200+ hours

Gameplay time: At least four hours.

Screenshots: http://img715.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=abandonedscreen.png

Soundtrack:  http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2D9CD655675A9FBF&search_query=haven+soundtrack

Trailer:

Grey is currently not playable.  It's going to be a visual novel type game that is completely hand-drawn in pencil.  It's not currently being worked on (priorities and I have interest in my other games).

Screenshots: http://img687.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=greytitlescreen.jpg

If you'd like to provide feedback on the images made for Grey that'd be fine.  There is nothing playable right now.

The Fall(en) V 1.0.1 does have it's own topic here as it's a completed game: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11342.0

Time spent: 9 hours

Gameplay time: 30 minutes with replay value, 50 seconds shortest play time, 3 minutes or so tops.

Screenshots: http://img175.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=thefallengraveyard.png

Trailer:

Peekaboo *Finished* is a psychological horror game.  That's all I'm gonna say.

Screenshots: http://img695.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=peekabootitle.png

Download the full game: http://www.mediafire.com/?azwjkdmztgq

True RPG is based off of a forum game I made with the same name.  Currently it's just a combat play test to see if everything is balanced.  I'll keep making combat updates until I feel comfortable that I can make balanced items on intuition.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?lhzyzyznlmn

Soundtrack:  http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5B634C77851E6366

Please don't forget to post your feedback for any games I've made here.  Or use the completed game threads as well.  I'm using these games for my portfolio later in life to get me a job in the industry as a writer/developer, that's why feedback is a must.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:20:08 PM by Cleril » Logged
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Cleril
Please don't forget to post your feedback for any games I've made here.  Or use the completed game threads as well.  I'm using these games for my portfolio later in life to get me a job in the industry as a writer/developer, that's why feedback is a must.

Welcome to TIGsource... a bit of advice though if you're truly interested in receiving feedback on your projects: People will be a lot more inclined to play your game and take the time to write feedback if they feel you're an active member of the community.  Whether or not your realize it, your post comes off as if you're doing the community a favor by posting your game, and in return we must give you feedback. 

You have to keep in mind that there are a ton of games posted here everyday, and people only have a certain amount of time each day to download and play them, let alone leave feedback... personally I'm a lot more likely to leave feedback if I notice the person is a regular poster and has left feedback for other people... I'm pretty sure others feel the same way; folks rarely check out games when they feel that the poster has just come to the forum to pimp their projects and aren't interested in being a part of the community.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:04:45 PM by supershigi » Logged

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »

Please don't forget to post your feedback for any games I've made here.  Or use the completed game threads as well.  I'm using these games for my portfolio later in life to get me a job in the industry as a writer/developer, that's why feedback is a must.

Welcome to TIGsource... a bit of advice though if you're truly interested in receiving feedback on your projects: People will be a lot more inclined to play your game and take the time to write feedback if they feel you're an active member of the community.  Whether or not your realize it, your post comes off as if you're doing the community a favor by posting your game, and in return we must give you feedback. 

You have to keep in mind that there are a ton of games posted here everyday, and people only have a certain amount of time each day to download and play them, let alone leave feedback... personally I'm a lot more likely to leave feedback if I notice the person is a regular poster and has left feedback for other people... I'm pretty sure others feel the same way; folks rarely check out games when they feel that the poster has just come to the forum to pimp their projects and aren't interested in being a part of the community.

It's 12:32am, I'm watching machinima to relax, and this is the second time I've been told this.  I get it, I just joined, I posted my games, etc.  I'll post more later, okay?  I don't mean to sound harsh, but really, it hasn't even been 3 hours since I joined, and I'm already getting told to be part of the community, by two people.  I got the game advertising out of the way so that I could be active/wait for any feedback.  It makes sense to me to do that first and then go around posting other things.  This is just ridiculous from my point of view.  Shrug
Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »

Not really, People around here don't like (I guess) when someone uses the forum for advertising purpose. Because a lot of people just come, post their games, and then go away.
Therefore we are more ready to spend time on a game if we realize that the poster is not a spammer!
Understood?Gosh I hate my english

Pardon my poor english T_T
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »

Not really, People around here don't like (I guess) when someone uses the forum for advertising purpose. Because a lot of people just come, post their games, and then go away.
Therefore we are more ready to spend time on a game if we realize that the poster is not a spammer!
Understood?Gosh I hate my english

I just joined though....I've obviously not gone away now have I?  I've got other things to do at the moment, then I get to sleep.  I don't see how joining a forum for less than 3 hours and not posting anything but my games is bad....I again, got it out of the way.

Expectations much?  Concerned
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »

I just joined though....I've obviously not gone away now have I?  I've got other things to do at the moment, then I get to sleep.  I don't see how joining a forum for less than 3 hours and not posting anything but my games is bad....I again, got it out of the way.

The point is not to post your game until you've made more of an effort to become part of the community Tongue

If anyone is telling you this, it's because they're only trying to be helpful... if you truly want feedback, going about it in this manner won't be very fruitful because a lot of folks flat out aren't going to pay attention to your thread when you've just joined and you're already pimping your game.  Being harsh or sarcastic towards us doesn't help either... like I said, tons of games are posted each day, are we really going to be compelled to take time out of our day to play your games and leave you feedback when you're rude to us?  I highly doubt it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:58:38 AM by supershigi » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »

Also, putting up pictures of each of your games will probably go a long way towards attracting people's attention. In fact, if you are an artist who works at a resolution of 320*240 or less, then you don't really need to worry about being a part of the community, people will love your games regardless.

More positively - Haven sounds like a really cool idea, hopefully I will find time to try it out soon.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:56:12 AM »

Yikes, 5 in one thread! This is my bookmark to note to try at least one of them sometime next week. . . It's too bad yourtubes don't have any action, just landscape stills and big dramatic text. Maybe you could borrow a friend's machine or visit #tigIRC to find someone to get some more excitey clips? Can you post some screenies?

What sort of feedback are you looking for? Any specific concerns?

/ And, IMHO, I'd suggest it's better to wait until later and make a positive post rather than immediately make a defensive post...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »

The point is not to post your game until you've made more of an effort to become part of the community Tongue

If anyone is telling you this, it's because they're only trying to be helpful... if you truly want feedback, going about it in this manner won't be very fruitful because a lot of folks flat out aren't going to pay attention to your thread when you've just joined and you're already pimping your game.  Being harsh or sarcastic towards us doesn't help either... like I said, tons of games are posted each day, are we really going to be compelled to take time out of our day to play your games and leave you feedback when you're rude to us?  I highly doubt it.

I'm not trying to be rude.  From my perspective I joined and less than 3 hours into joining two members have told me that I am going to be an inactive member in the community and should therefore shape up.  My response is not going to be "Oh yes, I planned to just join and go away" because doing so how would I ever read any feedback gotten to me or be active in the community?  I don't join communities in an effort to piss people off or be inactive in them.  I also don't join them to be accused of not being active when it hasn't even been 24 hours since I joined.  I happen to find it logical to get all the advertising out of the way and then while I wait for feedback I go around doing other stuffs.

Essentially, I feel I am being attacked as to what kind of member I am.  You are judging me because I am apparently expected as a member of this community to be active when it's 12:32am in the morning and I just want to relax watching some machinima and again it has yet to be even 24 hours since I joined.  Don't know about you but I'm not even getting a good impression of the community in this way.  Once more I am not trying to be rude in telling any of this to you.  I am explaining my situation and my viewpoint in it and assure you I am not simply showing off my games and leaving.  I am stating that I just joined, give me time to adjust to the way the community works.  Thank you.  Facepalm

Also, putting up pictures of each of your games will probably go a long way towards attracting people's attention. In fact, if you are an artist who works at a resolution of 320*240 or less, then you don't really need to worry about being a part of the community, people will love your games regardless.

More positively - Haven sounds like a really cool idea, hopefully I will find time to try it out soon.

I only use RPG Maker VX for the games which comes with graphics.  I'm not much of a spriter, just a writer/developer but I've made, for example; blood patterns, re-colored sprites, and a computer in terms of spriting.  I did put screenshot links for each game, True RPG doesn't have much to show yet as it's just a combat play test area, it's a turn-based combat system but it's flashy, see for yourself.  Well, hello there!

Yikes, 5 in one thread! This is my bookmark to note to try at least one of them sometime next week. . . It's too bad yourtubes don't have any action, just landscape stills and big dramatic text. Maybe you could borrow a friend's machine or visit #tigIRC to find someone to get some more excitey clips? Can you post some screenies?

What sort of feedback are you looking for? Any specific concerns?

/ And, IMHO, I'd suggest it's better to wait until later and make a positive post rather than immediately make a defensive post...

I've been developing for about 7 months, 5 games made so far, only recently finished one of them.  My computer is crap so I can't record anything without it being laggy and uglier than the game itself.  The games also focus on story, only True RPG has combat in it for example.  Haven has indirect combat (you not being in the fight but can still change things).  Showing any video clip would leak spoilers in the game but I did put screenshots up for each game, save for True RPG which is only in a combat play test demo so there's nothing much to see.

I didn't ask to be accused of being inactive.  Big Laff
Eraser
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »

Your trailers put me off wanting to play your games at all. For example, the "trailer" for fall(en) consists of one screenshot and text. That does nothing to entice me to play the game. Don't be afraid to post at least some spoilers, as this is what gets people interested enough to play.
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »

Your trailers put me off wanting to play your games at all. For example, the "trailer" for fall(en) consists of one screenshot and text. That does nothing to entice me to play the game. Don't be afraid to post at least some spoilers, as this is what gets people interested enough to play.

Yea, not the first time I've been this.  There's not much I can do to make good trailers but in all honesty The Fall(en) isn't meant to be an exciting game, nor depressing.  Most people who've played it liked it for what it was, an artsy kind of game that discusses suicide as it's subject matter.

If you want a meaty game, play Haven.  If you want some short little games then play The Fall(en) or try Peekaboo.  Be aware that Haven is only v 0.4.8 but it should last at least four hours.  The Fall(en) lasts 30 minutes with replay value and Peekaboo lasts about 10-20 minutes.  True RPG is for if you want straight up combat, it's just a play test to see if things are balanced so no story or anything.

I'll message you if you want to know a bit more of what each game offers.  All of them are different.  For example, True RPG is the only game that has you directly participating in combat.  Haven has you indirectly affect combat if any happens.  Peekaboo tells it's story mostly through sounds and drawings (which are missing the demo, I didn't have crayons at the time...) and The Fall(en) is a short but (perhaps) powerful experience.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »

That's good that you posted some screenshots, I think that's very helpful.  I noticed that you're using rpg maker VX graphics, which is fine, but I think spending some time improving your map layout and content would help them look more unique.  Right now they look very generic, and I wouldn't be able to distinguish your game from another VX game.  They also seem fairly sparce and blocky... I know that's the VX-style, but for certain maps (like the cliff in your trailer) the jagged blocky nature of the tiles just ends up looking distracting when juxtaposed with a realistic looking panorama.       

Also, I can understand that it's difficult to use game footage in your trailer due to your computer speed, but in all honesty your current trailer is really off-putting.  A single screenshot of a really blocky cliff made with generic rpg maker VX graphics and intersperced with overdramatic text just does not make me want to play the game.  At the very least the text could be a bit more descriptive about game.

I didn't ask to be accused of being inactive.
No one is accusing you of being inactive.  People are telling you not to advertise your game so soon after becoming a member.  The idea of "advertise first, join later" is just frowned upon here; people prefer if you wait until you've been here a short while *before* advertising. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:12:53 PM by supershigi » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »

The screenshots look nice, though maybe a bit sparse? Did you do the graphics?

And I think it seems a bit odd to make black & white trailers if the games are in color? If you've got nice and lush colors in your game, flaunt it! Grin

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »

That's good that you posted some screenshots, I think that's very helpful.  I noticed that you're using rpg maker VX graphics, which is fine, but I think spending some time improving your map layout and content would help them look more unique.  Right now they look very generic, and I wouldn't be able to distinguish your game from another VX game.  They also seem fairly sparce and blocky... I know that's the VX-style, but for certain maps (like the cliff in your trailer) the jagged blocky nature of the tiles just ends up looking distracting when juxtaposed with a realistic looking panorama.       

Also, I can understand that it's difficult to use game footage in your trailer due to your computer speed, but in all honesty your current trailer is really off-putting.  A single screenshot of a really blocky cliff made with generic rpg maker VX graphics and intersperced with overdramatic text just does not make me want to play the game.  At the very least the text could be a bit more descriptive about game.

I didn't ask to be accused of being inactive.
No one is accusing you of being inactive.  People are telling you not to advertise your game so soon after becoming a member.  The idea of "advertise first, join later" is just frowned upon here; people prefer if you wait until you've been here a short while *before* advertising. 

The stuff you see for Haven at least is just a small percentage of the maps.  The Fall(en) screens show everything but one map.  Peekaboo shows all the content in the demo but the demo itself is missing content since I lacked crayons and a microphone to add to the horror flair.

The Fall(en) is really just that.  You're a guy on a cliff.  That's all I can say without spoiling anything but really, that's it.  Don't judge it by the trailer alone since, yet again, I cannot make anything better than that with my computer.  It's a small game and short, no reason not to try it really....then there's the other games as well which each offer different stuff.  Haven is at least 4 hours, The Fall(en) is 30 minutes total to compare, and Peekaboo is just a demo.  True RPG is the only combat game there, no gameovers in Haven or The Fall(en) but you can die in Peekaboo (no combat though).

Well, pardon me for advertising first and going around later.  Logical to me.  Shrug

The screenshots look nice, though maybe a bit sparse? Did you do the graphics?

And I think it seems a bit odd to make black & white trailers if the games are in color? If you've got nice and lush colors in your game, flaunt it! Grin

In Haven's case your seeing very little of the total package.  In the other games I think only The Fall(en) is sparse, Peekaboo is missing content because I lacked a microphone and crayons to add things so the demo is not at all fine-tuned and the next thing I release is an update to the game or perhaps the whole game, depends where I want to go with it.

I'm not much of a spriter, most of what you see are standard VX (RPG Maker VX, the program I use) graphics but in Haven I've made blood splatter and a computer graphic while in Peekaboo it's mostly blood splatter I've made (different blood splatters that is).  The way everything is arranged is my own work, I can just place the graphics wherever.

The trailers are such a way because of the games tone.  The Fall(en) is about a guy on a cliff and Haven is darker than it appears, having an ironic name that's also part of Cleril.  The games themselves are in color though.
terloon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »

I liked your store humor in True RPG. I've only recently started downloading RPG Maker games, but man I wish I had that growing up. Facepalm Cool stuff.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »

The games themselves are in color though.

I know. That's why I found it odd to have the trailers in b&w. Wink I guess it's just a matter of taste.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »

I liked your store humor in True RPG. I've only recently started downloading RPG Maker games, but man I wish I had that growing up. Facepalm Cool stuff.

Don't expect all of that to be in the game.  I take this stuff seriously, it's just a combat play test so I felt like breaking the fourth wall there.  Ninja

The games themselves are in color though.

I know. That's why I found it odd to have the trailers in b&w. Wink I guess it's just a matter of taste.

I just think it suites the mood and themes the games discuss.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 05:05:18 PM »

I went to try Haven today. Leery of the last RPGMaker game that showed up in the feedback forums, I made a beeline for the background music directory.

I wasn't impressed to find copyright'd musics in there, and deleted it without trying the game. I'm not interested in being a pirate.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Cleril
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 06:48:18 PM »

I went to try Haven today. Leery of the last RPGMaker game that showed up in the feedback forums, I made a beeline for the background music directory.

I wasn't impressed to find copyright'd musics in there, and deleted it without trying the game. I'm not interested in being a pirate.

Hm?  I use MIDI versions of the songs, perfectly 100% legal.  The other songs were given to me by a composer, Mr. Bosa, who made a mod for Morrowind with that music and he said I could use it in my games.  A player of Haven also gave me the songs he made for me to use.

Honestly, listen to them, it's obvious they are MIDI versions, there is nothing law breaking in the game.  Why would I do that if I planned on using these games for my portfolio to get me a job?  Facepalm

I get all the MIDIs for here: http://www.vgmusic.com/

Again, it's legal.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »

Undecided Technically, I'm pretty sure it's not legal. It's just that, with a few exceptions, nobody seems to care.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic