Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 07:51:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMɪʀʀФяяɪM: Finished, mirror-based puzzle platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: MɪʀʀФяяɪM: Finished, mirror-based puzzle platformer  (Read 6440 times)
FreelancePolice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »

Update 1.01 released, hopefully fixing a lot of the issues mentioned on this thread.  Feedback would definitely be appreciated:

Mirrorrim Changelog
Release 1.01 3/26/2010

Major Additions:
-Game no longer forces 1280x1024 resolution at startup.
-640x480 "compatibility mode" added, accessible by holding 'L' as the game loads.
-Mouse cursor now limited to center of the window. Hopefully this fixes issues with deselecting the game when using a desktop extended across multiple monitors.

Additional Changes:
-Fixed bug where copies of doors would not retain rotation when closed.
-Added additional ways (Enter, space, left click) to progress dialog screens.
-Fixed cosmetic rotations of several objects.
-Added additional movement hints.
-Increased the alpha value of "ghosted" objects from .3 to .4
-Level 1 geometry tweaked for easier platforming.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:36:38 PM by FreelancePolice » Logged
BinaryMind
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 08:48:39 AM »

The game runs perfectly for me now. Whatever you did worked. Smiley
AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:03 PM »

Gave this a try a few days ago.  Bugs and thoughts:

My player got stuck on some blocks after jumping during the first scene (before you get the staff).  I had to restart.

The game wouldn't always let me use the staff to mirror stuff, was I doing it wrong?

How does the game decide to reset?  There were times I was stuck, and it would eventually reset, but it wasn't clear how it decided to do that.

TBH, I think the puzzles of the game were a bit hampered by the bugs (or perceived bugs), so my gameplay feedback should be taken with a grain of salt.  That said:
I like the Portal-esque idea of the gameplay, but the results of mirroring the world seemed to be too difficult to picture before actually doing it.  And since mirroring the world seems to be permanent, this is more of a problem than in Portal where you can just create another portal to erase the last one.  It would be nice if the mirroring previewed before doing it permanently.

So, really great idea, probably need to work on execution and user experience to make it fun.

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
FreelancePolice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »

Hi Andy,

I think you mostly ran into our biggest issue, which is that we did not create an intuitive (or mandatory) enough tutorial process to ease the player into the game.  Here's a couple pointers that could have been useful:

1.  Mirroring the world is actually very temporary, and mirrors do not stack; every mirror is a reflection of the original geometry of the level.

2.  You can dispel your mirrors and return to the original level geometry from anywhere as long as your position in the "real" world is free.  Look for transparent blocks and other objects behind your character - these are "ghost" objects showing the original, non-mirrored level layout, and for obvious reasons we had to restrict the player's ability to essentially teleport into solid objects.  Right clicking or pressing space will dispel mirrors on keyboard and mouse; Right Bumper and Y dispel on the 360 controller.

3.  Placing a new mirror operates on the same restrictions, as the game dispels any existing mirrors before creating a new one.  If you're having trouble placing a new mirror or understanding how the mirrors affect the geometry, try dispelling manually first to have another look at the unmirrored geometry.

4.  Level resets are all triggered manually by the player.  You can activate them by pressing the R key or Back on the 360 controller.

Getting stuck in the blocks is just a fault with my collision code, sorry.  I thought I'd fixed that, but clearly it still crops up occasionally.

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:47:18 PM by FreelancePolice » Logged
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »

Just confirming: mouse issue in multimonitor configuration seems to be fixed.
Good work!
FreelancePolice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »

Playthrough videos uploaded to Youtube for those who don't feel like downloading.  Hopefully these might shed a bit of light on how the mechanics work:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic