Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 05:15:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[D]-Jongg
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [D]-Jongg  (Read 2613 times)
Society
Level 0

बाहरी व्यक्ति

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:16:34 AM »

*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*
Title: [D]-Jongg
Genre: Mahjongg-inspired puzzle
Graphics: 3D (DirectX9)
Version: v1.0 - Release
Dev. environment: PureBASIC v4.40
Distribution: FreeWare OpenSource.
*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*

Not so much a project (too casual genre for me), more like test of Xors3D's capabilities - quite successful (and entertaining) in some parts, and not so in others (found 3 glitches in 4 days of development). It's still not perfect (I'm very picky about quality), yet completely fulfill my own requirements for coffee-break puzzle games and looks quite promising. There are also some (a lot more featured) sequel planned, so any constructive critics and reasonable suggestions would be really appreciated.

Rules: similar to ones in most of solitaire Mah-jonggs, yet with some adjustments for tridimensionality. The goal is to completely clean playing field by pairwise elimination of dices, exposed from at least one side by abscissa and applicate axises simultaneously.

Controls:
Esc - Quit game.
TAB - Minimize game to tray.
LMB - Select dice/Remove pair.
RMB - Cancel selection.
BackSpace - Undo last action.
Left/Right or A/D - Camera rotation.
MMB (when moving cursor) - Camera rotation.
Space - Darken unselectable dicez.

System requirements:
Pentium IV 2.0 GHz
Pixel shaders 2.0
DirectX 9.0c
Windows XP

F.A.Q.:
Q: Why there are no sound in game ?
A: It takes action in open space).

Q: Why there are no musical accompaniment ?
A: For the simple reason that something more worthy than some 8-bit beeping looped in one minute will take more space in archive than rest of the game. At this moment I find such things too wasteful.

Q: Why cube can't be rotated vertically ?
A: As you can see, this feature is already supported in source code, yet due to confusing effect on player it was temporarily disabled for indefinite period.

Q: I can't get the rules!!!11one
A: Unable to help you, sorry.

Q: What actually this game downloads after receiving from user agreement for updating DirectX ?
A: "Lite" version of official installer: http://latest.xors3d.com/dxredist.exe

Q: Why you not just distribute game with all necessary things ?
A: Thank MicroSoft - their EULA restrict me from adding required DLL directly in the archive.

Q: What means "WARNING: NO PS 2.0 SUPPORT FOUND" message ?
A: Apparently your video card just doesn't provide support for required version (2.0) of pixel shaders. Well, if it sure isn't so - contact me for the further investigation of this problem (EMail would be given further).

Q: How distribution type of this project corresponding with the propertiary license of Xors3D ?
A: It's just same situation as with a similar license for PB's compiler: although resulting product are free to end users, any developer who wish to utilize attached sources will have to solve all questions with rights for using corresponding software by themselves. Well, in the case that you really have something worthy to offer - just contact me.

Q: How can I contact the author (you) ?
A: ChronoSyndrome<@>Mail<dot>RU

Special Thanks 2:
Xors3D's team - for blooming shader and engine.
Sleeping-Dragon - for original sprite of cursor.
SynergyDigital - for additional GUI font.
Pixture - for application's icon.
BauerBear - for main GUI font.

Screenshots:

Download link: [D]-Jongg.rar (~2MB)
Official page: http://gamejolt.com/open-source/games/puzzle/d-jongg/1649/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:33:02 PM by Society » Logged

I are many. I are strong. I are Society.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »

I like the concept but it felt really easy.  There wasn't much strategy to it, I didn't feel like I had to plan every move or anything.  I'd like a version with dice that have actual mahjongg faces on them though.  Also I know you don't want to have sound/music but I guarantee it'd make it more enjoyable overall.

hi
Society
Level 0

बाहरी व्यक्ति

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:40:28 PM »

Thanks for feedback, JR Hill. Concerning your remarks:
I like the concept but it felt really easy.  There wasn't much strategy to it, I didn't feel like I had to plan every move or anything.
That’s, I believe, is a litimitation of current tileset. Also, kind of experiment: I tried to make at least one game without extreme difficulties, so it would be playable for wide range of people. May be some mode like Time Attack would help…

I'd like a version with dice that have actual mahjongg faces on them though.
I already got asked for Pokemon ones). Well, skinning is planned for sequel – not a big deal to make texture changer, I guess.

Also I know you don't want to have sound/music but I guarantee it'd make it more enjoyable overall.
Planned for sequel to. Also, if you got any appropriate tracks without copyright protection – just let me know.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »

Looks good but i don't understand the behaviour of some dices:
for example i clicked two 4's that were placed next to each other and nothing happened... but when i clicked on another 4 in the background both disappeared.
Either there are some special rules - that i don't understand - or this is some sort of a bug.

->Not really my type of game but as you said this isn't yours either and you are doing this simply to check out the engine and for that reason it's a pretty good effort so far.
Additionally a tutorial and some basic sound effects would be nice (and consider to change the fonts for a more consistent look)

What kind of game do you want to create after this one?

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Society
Level 0

बाहरी व्यक्ति

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:51:35 AM »

for example i clicked two 4's that were placed next to each other and nothing happened... but when i clicked on another 4 in the background both disappeared.
Well, being placed next to each other isn't really a reason to do anything, you know... Location on horizontal edges of playcube is a lot more required here. Just press Space to make things clear.

Additionally a tutorial and some basic sound effects would be nice
0) Oh, may be just auto-enabling of 'Hint mode' for first minute would be enough ?
1) Sounds is already planned for sequel, as well as some (disableable) imitation of radio noises. Btw, if you (accidently) want to contribute me bunch of pretty music – don’t restrain that desire, please).

(and consider to change the fonts for a more consistent look)
Hm, never seen any problems with current ones... Is there any variants you could recommend instead ?

Regarding further development of that project or in general ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:04:28 AM by Society » Logged

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »

Well, being placed next to each other isn't really a reason to do anything, you know... Location on horizontal edges of playcube is a lot more required here. Just press Space to make things clear.
space helps, thats true but it would be nice to know why some dices are clickable while other are not...

Additionally a tutorial and some basic sound effects would be nice

0) Oh, may be just auto-enabling of 'Hint mode' for first minute would be enough ?
1) Sounds is already planned for sequel, as well as some (disableable) imitation of radio noises. Btw, if you (accidently) want to contribute me bunch of pretty music – don’t restrain that desire, please).

0) well i thought it would be nice to have some sort of short explanation of the rules.
1) you can check out these sites which offer free sounds and music:

SOUNDS

freesound
http://www.freesound.org/

soundsnap
http://www.soundsnap.com/

if you want to create some sounds by yourself check out sfxr
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

MUSIC

ccmixter
http://ccmixter.org/view/media/home

incompetech
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

create music with musagi
http://www.drpetter.se/project_musagi.html

(and consider to change the fonts for a more consistent look)
Hm, never seen any problems with current ones... Is there any variants you could recommend instead ?
on the playfield there are 3 completely different fonts.
the slimmer font at the bottom which displays "dicez" and "moves" doesnt work very well with the big bold font timer font at the top. would be better to use the same timer font at the bottom too (or at least a similar looking one)

Regarding further development of that project or in general ?
in general...
what kind of game will you develop when d-jongg is done: platformer, shooter, puzzle...?

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »

Those graphics make me sick.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 11:36:11 AM »

Hey now.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »

This topic was merged with the one from anouncement, hence there may be a little bit of incoherence.

Now let's carry on. With class please. Gentleman
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:53:51 PM by Guert » Logged

Society
Level 0

बाहरी व्यक्ति

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »

space helps, thats true but it would be nice to know why some dices are clickable while other are not...
I already explained it.

0) well i thought it would be nice to have some sort of short explanation of the rules.
...How ‘bout some button to quickly open 'readme' file)) ?

you can check out these sites which offer free sounds and music:
Thanks, I would. Some specific recommendations for artists/tracks, may be ?

Those graphics make me sick.
Sea sickness from rotating backdrop ? Don’t worry, you aren’t alone here and it could be cured).

the slimmer font at the bottom which displays "dicez" and "moves" doesnt work very well with the big bold font timer font at the top. would be better to use the same timer font at the bottom too (or at least a similar looking one)
Hm, they all was from on grunge set… Well, may be you are right, I will overlook it again.

in general...
what kind of game will you develop when d-jongg is done: platformer, shooter, puzzle...?
Well, let’s see:
} I still can’t leave plan of mixing up indeas from Flow and Finite Height into some TRPG, preferable with randomly-generated stages. Already got about 3 variants of realization, but only 1 seems doable with my current resources. Well, looks like that Flow would donate not only mechanics, but also it’s graphics style (partially, of course) to that project...
} Being fan of hyperdimensional theories, I’m going to continue MonoDrome-styled experiments into making some 4D game, be it shooter or puzzle. That idea, however, could be also merged with next one:
} Some "Kula World"-esque platfromer would be neat – I already started one very long time ago, but given up due to lack of experience and resources. Now, when I got better tools and few more-or-less released games, such works could restarted into serious project.
} Since I already got my VM and compiler for it into workable state, some CoreWars-like game could also be done now. It’s quite easy, yet there are one little problem: there are quite too much fans of such entertainments.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:23:44 PM by Society » Logged

Society
Level 0

बाहरी व्यक्ति

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »

...Hm, it’s only me, or AuthenticKaizen wasn’t really interested in my answers) ?

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

He's a busy guy, and gave you a very useful introductory post from himself to the thread, give it time (Y)

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »

I already explained it.
i thought in terms of usability it would be nice to have somekind of ingame tutorial that shows that briefly.

...How ‘bout some button to quickly open 'readme' file)) ?
opened and read it. i still think a tutorial would be better. Wink

you can check out these sites which offer free sounds and music:
Thanks, I would. Some specific recommendations for artists/tracks, may be ?
unfortunately not cause i havent used the sites for myself but saw them mentioned in the readme files of some freeware games instead.

Hm, they all was from on grunge set… Well, may be you are right, I will overlook it again.
that would be nice.

in general...
Well, let’s see:
} I still can’t leave plan of mixing up indeas from Flow and Finite Height into some TRPG, preferable with randomly-generated stages. Already got about 3 variants of realization, but only 1 seems doable with my current resources. Well, looks like that Flow would donate not only mechanics, but also it’s graphics style (partially, of course) to that project...
} Being fan of hyperdimensional theories, I’m going to continue MonoDrome-styled experiments into making some 4D game, be it shooter or puzzle. That idea, however, could be also merged with next one:
} Some "Kula World"-esque platfromer would be neat – I already started one very long time ago, but given up due to lack of experience and resources. Now, when I got better tools and few more-or-less released games, such works could restarted into serious project.
} Since I already got my VM and compiler for it into workable state, some CoreWars-like game could also be done now. It’s quite easy, yet there are one little problem: there are quite too much fans of such entertainments.
1.)that sounds interesting.
2.)since you mentioned 4d games i recently found this 4d puzzle game
3.)kula world...nice. consider to check out cubosphere and screwball
4.)seems like a very tight niche game...

Society
Level 0

बाहरी व्यक्ति

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 01:40:57 AM »

i thought in terms of usability it would be nice to have somekind of ingame tutorial that shows that briefly.
OK, I would add some illustrated instruction set to sequel.

opened and read it. i still think a tutorial would be better.
*Slightly inclines her head*
Fulfilling player’s wishes should be priority for every casual developer. I'm not one of 'em, indeed, but still would try to follow corresponding rules.

that would be nice.
Well, experimented a bit with font sets... There would be few different GUI styles in sequel, I guess.

1.)that sounds interesting.
I actually heard from people that making strategy games is one of my most developed skills, so it should have priority).

2.)since you mentioned 4d games i recently found this 4d puzzle game
Hmm, 2D sprite in hyperdimensional game) ? Well, looks quite interesting, yet they should’ve, IMHO, make more informative visualization of neighbor spaces. Tempted to see some playable demo...

3.)kula world...nice. consider to check out cubosphere and screwball
I’m very curious why SCEE still didn’t sued authors of that 'screwball' for selling their concept.

4.)seems like a very tight niche game...
Already send some relatively recent attempts to remade that concepts with more idiot-friendly attitude, like programming AI for air fights in .NET languages, so may be it would gain some success, but you are right indeed... People tendы to hate games where they should do really much by themselves.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic