Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 04:11:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting小さな王国 ~ A Small Kingdom ~ Tiny RPG (WIP 2.0)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 小さな王国 ~ A Small Kingdom ~ Tiny RPG (WIP 2.0)  (Read 2267 times)
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:27:56 AM »

Hi guys!
I'm developing this small RPG. I don't have great things in mind. Just you, a sword, the monsters, a little village, a less little world, and a bunch of experience points.

In this demo you can access only the forest south of the village, but I plan the make the world entirely explorable right from the start of the game (altough strong monster could make you think twice about that).

DOWNLOAD

I'd like to know if there's something wrong in the gameplay, if you think that something is broken or there are major annoyance that could keep people form playing.

Oh, and, uhm, don't mind the Zelda Overworld theme, gonna change that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:30:42 AM by MegaLeon » Logged

*blog - *tweet - *leon
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »

no way i'm letting you get the quiet treatment

aight aight so the graphixxx are super cute that is a great part

let's start with a first problem, that problem is the movement, when you move you have to press the arrow each time you want to move a square, could you do like uh, hold an arrow to move like you press once and it goes once in that direction but if you hold it half a second later it starts going in that direction as long as you hold it

the combat is my biggest issue, the problem is that it's not fun, it's kinda slow and there is little player involvement

so either just make it lots faster or try to add in some fun stuff in it, like different "particle" effects when fighting, different monster noises, and maybe a way to run away gatdamn

but make it at least a bit faster

also why is every enemy at least just a bit faster, is that intended? like your character attacks at every 1.1 seconds, but enemies attack at 2x a second(slimes), 3x a second (snakes), 1x a second (wolves), that's kind of a bit annoying

sometimes you are stuck in 1-width-corridors that's kinda cruel too, especially since enemies respawn

also here is what i think is a bug

killed by a tree??! no there is a snake in there WHOA! is that intented? even if it is not it's kinda cool actually they have nice camouflage

anyways yeah obviously it's not all bad the game has great potential for fun, i just hope you intend to play a lot on the "things to discover" part because it can easily fall into a repetitive grind

but yeah

make combat, movement faster

and keep making game
undertech
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »

I don't get colorkeying in Win7 x64. Black boxes around everything.
Akonyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »

I killed the big monster and saved the town yay! he almost got me though.

As The Monster King said, enemies in trees is weird (I had a few dogs who stood there, though they were obviously easier to see)

the other issues that he mentioned are huge. Having to press the key every time you want to move is bad. Either have a toggle key that makes it go as you hold it instead of pressing, or just have it make you run on hold instead of press.

Combat is also very slow. If there is no user interaction, there's no reason to have it go that slowly, you could double the swing speed of the player/enemies to make it go quicker, or maybe add in some actual combat.

Stylistically it's very nice, although I'm not sure I agree with using lowercase letters when you're using such small fonts, uppercase letters are often easier to read (unless you explicitly want the lowercase letters).

Also, on the sides of your town, your boundaries aren't completely defined. If you go diagonal into the trees at some points, you're able to go into the trees and explore
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »

let's start with a first problem, that problem is the movement, when you move you have to press the arrow each time you want to move a square, could you do like uh, hold an arrow to move like you press once and it goes once in that direction but if you hold it half a second later it starts going in that direction as long as you hold it
Yeah, that was in the to-do list. Checking it as soon as possible.

the combat is my biggest issue, the problem is that it's not fun, it's kinda slow and there is little player involvement

Combat is also very slow. If there is no user interaction, there's no reason to have it go that slowly, you could double the swing speed of the player/enemies to make it go quicker, or maybe add in some actual combat.
Mhhm... a speed-up key would be appreciated?

also why is every enemy at least just a bit faster, is that intended? like your character attacks at every 1.1 seconds, but enemies attack at 2x a second(slimes), 3x a second (snakes), 1x a second (wolves), that's kind of a bit annoying
Yup, that was intended in order to differentiate the enemies. There are weaker ones who attacks often, stronger ones who attacks slowly and so on... oh, by the way, player's attack speed raises a little when you level up.

As The Monster King said, enemies in trees is weird (I had a few dogs who stood there, though they were obviously easier to see)
Whoops, that was a bug with collisions. Solved!

I don't get colorkeying in Win7 x64. Black boxes around everything.
That may be a problem with surfaces. I'll insert a key to disable them.

*blog - *tweet - *leon
BinaryMind
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »

Graphics seem to be getting more and more retro these days. I love it!

Problems: I like the font and it matches the rest of the game, but dialog is little hard to read. Is it bolded?

There needs to be more going on in the combat. That was probably the plan, but adding the ability to use magics or run would be a great start.
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:17 AM »

I updated the game, adding hold movement, speeding up (hold Shift) and fixing collisions bug.
About the font, I mad it myself, as I wasn't be able to find a good font per such a small resolution. I though it was readable  Undecided

*blog - *tweet - *leon
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic