Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 01:12:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGeo - Space exploration/drilling business management sim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Geo - Space exploration/drilling business management sim  (Read 5694 times)
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »

RELEASE DATE - 31st January 2017 - Steam

Geo is game about building and expanding an intergalactic mining corporation. Explore uncharted space and discover comets, moons, planets and Gas Giants before heading in and drilling the cash out of them! Expand your Headquarters, build new rooms and facilities in your HQ to increase your drilling stats. Hire unique crew members to aid you in becoming the biggest and best intergalactic mining corporation in the cosmos. Collect hundreds of weird and wonderful items all used to research new facilities and crew members. Discover giant frozen planets, acid filled metalic moons, scortching sandy comets and more, all in the name of profits.

Gather, Explore and Observe!

Features
+ Discover comets, moons, planets, Gas giants and more, all with their own stats and information
+ Dynamic pressure and element system for each drill site requiring careful planning and drilling strategy.
+ hundereds of items to find, fuse and research
+ tons of crew members to unlock, hire and level up
+ loads of rooms and facilities to research and build in your HQ
+ Weird and wonderful secret stuff to find when drilling
+ Full original chill out soundtrack
+ An almost endless amount of discoveries to be made.
+ Colourful and fun like the good old days!

About Windybeard
Windybeard is a one man game development studio, This is my second game (the first being Sweezy Gunner) and it has been a pleasure to develop. I hope you like what you see and any support is greatly appreciated!

Trailer

Screen shots

If you wish to please head over to my Facebook page for regular updates
https://www.facebook.com/Windybeard.games/

Or check me out at
www.windybeard.com

Geo has recently been Greenlit on Steam Greenlight! I will be adding to this blog as much as possible of development from this point until Geo is released on Steam and subsequent platforms. Stay tuned for more infomration
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:05:23 AM by Windybeard » Logged

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »

Here are a few small Gifs of Geo in action. The first is the drilling section of the game in action and the second is showing off some of the hundreds of items obtainable that are used in researching and unlocking new crew members and rooms to add to your headquarters.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:44:36 AM »

I have been working on completing the last of the systems available to the player for example i have just completed an in game league system. There are a total of 12 divisions and 10 ranks per division. You achieve a company score by completing research, hiring crew members, levelling them up and much more. This score determines your position in the current division. If you can make it all the way to the top of your division you can promote to the next division and get a prize in the process. It works nicely and adds more progression into the game.

I have also done alot of graphical work. If you look at the above Gifs you can see some drilling in action. Each "tile" has a value and can be researched if you drill enough, I have designed over 100 so far and have many more to do.

I have also begun work on the achievements, I am aiming for 64 achievements total and these are offered for loads of different things and will be tied into Steam when i upload in the near future. The achievments are located on your stats screen.

I still have lots more work to do on Geo however it is closing in on completion and its a pleasure to make. Thanks for reading. More soon

Babar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »

Wow this looks nice ! This is really impressive that you did all this by yourself. There seems to be so much art and gameplay. Good job !

The game looks fun and full of content. How much of it is procedurally generated?

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »

Thanks Babar

There is an absolute ton of work going into this game and im pleased its noticeable.

Each planet is procedural constructed each time you visit but this is constrained by what can appear on that planet so there are some very rare tile types that can be found and some other rare stuff also.

Also space is procedural, when you start the game you are given a small quadrant of space to explore (the initial quadrant is hand made) after you have drilled 3 comets to the core you can then search for a new quadrant to explore and from then on the quadrants are procedural. This means that each area of space you search is random and what you find in that quadrant is randomly generated, this is however controlled by your stats so starting off the game you wont be finding the hardest and most lucrative drill sites etc. It does mean that people will find different planets and crew members at different points. You may be lucky or unlucky on that front

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »

For quite some time i have had a thought in the back of my head that the actual Headquarters and rooms sizes are not quite right. As the game has developed it began to look a little out of spec with the rest of the game so i decided to double the size of the rooms and the Headquarters and allow the player to scroll up and down. Not only does this give me the chance to add a lot more detail to the rooms and head quarters, it also provides more of a sense of scale later in game when your Head Quarters is a towering sky scraper.

Here is a before and after shot i threw together to demonstrate the differences. I much prefer the bigger, more detailed rooms and HQ. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 06:29:35 AM »

Hey everyone. Sorry about the lack of updates recently however development has progressed well and Geo is steaming toward completion. There are 2 large changes to Geo. I have redesigned the entire Headquarters and room graphics. The HQ has now increased in size and detail as have all the rooms available to add to your HQ. Its visually much more detailed and in keeping with the rest of the games style. (See image below)

I have also completely resigned the research system. Exploring planets unlocks research tiles, completing the research tiles leads to you unlocking new rooms for you to build in your HQ increasing you stats and drilling abilities and giving more space to put you crew members to work. (see image below)

I have also fully completed and implemented 40 drill sites and am in possession of a vast majority of the soundtrack which will be added very soon.

I hope you like the upgrades and additions to Geo and any suggestions appreciated.
 Thank you for your support.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:32:57 AM »

As always Geo development has been powering on, my main challenge at the moment is designing and implementing all the drill sites in the game. There are 4 types of drill site in Geo Comets, Moons, Planets and Gas Giants. As you would imagine comets are smaller than moons which are smaller than planets and so on. Each drill site contains different materials and items to collect as well as other things to find and see. Each site has its own set of statistics such as depth, gravity and elemental damage (Heat, Cold and Acid). At the very centre of these sites a core of pure treasure…… If you can get down that far!

I would like to share some of these drill sites with you. From left to right there are 5 Comets, 3 Moons, 2 Planets and 1 Gas Giant. I am aiming for over 100 drill sites in Geo and I have so far designed over 50.

When you first start Geo you will only be able to find 1 Star drill sites, as you progress through Geo and drill the cores of the drill sites you will gather Core Fragments, you can use these to unlock the ability to uncover 2,3,4 (and so on) star sites.The higher the star rating of the site the harder it is to drill however it will harbour greater reward.

I have also been designing the many crew members available to unlock and hire in Geo. Each crew member brings their own stats to the table so they are important in your success. Can you find them all?

Thanks for reading and I will update further on Geo’s development soon. Much love!

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:14 AM »

Hey everyone. Since my last update I have been designing drills sites non stop. I have now designed over 70 unique drill sites (comets, moons, planets and Gas Giants) . I thought I would share some of these designs with you.

This equates to all level 1,2 and 3 drill sites and I have started level 4. I am aiming for over 100 drill sites for you to find out there in space. Each with its own stuff to find, drill and collect.

Geo testing is going well, lots of bugs to destroy but its getting there, Sound and music is going in and sounding silky smooth. I will post some more information and images soon. Thanks for reading. More soon.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »

Hey everyone, I am still continually drawing new planets and crew members and I thought I would share some of these crew members with you. I have now finished 50 crew members. Each crew member has a little bio explaining who they are are a set of stats to help bolster your drilling potential. here are 9 more crew members for your viewing pleasure. Sweezy Gunner fans may recognised 2 of the new crew members…

I have now also designed over 80 drill sites and am moving in on my target of 100. I am filling Geo with so much stuff its bursting at the seams with planets, crew member, facilities for your HQ and alot more. Im going to upload a gameplay vid soon showing some of the features in real time. Thanks for reading.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 05:19:48 AM »

Art and design looks wonderful. The gameplay sounds like a sort of continuous grind? But seems like it will be fun regardless.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »

Thanks Pixel Noise.
There is an element of grind to the mining mechanics and that is part of the fun. Whilst drilling there are special powerups, secret things to find, weird stuff, cash and much more. Every one of the drill sites is comprised of different minerals and items to collect needed to unlock new crew members and rooms for your head quarters.

Im hoping it will be a fun game (I think it is) and will be stuffed with content. Im trying to take this type of drilling game further than it has been taken before.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 04:08:13 AM »

Hey everyone. I have been very quite around here about Geo however lots has been going on in my world. Geo is now complete and will be released on 31st January 2017 on Steam. If you want to see more please head over to the Geo Steam page for more information and have a watch of the video below of me playing the game and explaining what it is all about.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:21:52 AM by Windybeard » Logged

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

Hi everyone, Anyone know why my vids are not showing up in the posts I make? sorry for the bump for this reason.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic