Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:33:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPros/Cons of Non-Aesthetic player game object customization.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pros/Cons of Non-Aesthetic player game object customization.  (Read 1440 times)
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »

First, what I mean by Non-Aesthetic player game object customization is when a player customizes something in a fashion that actually has an effect on gameplay/game mechanics.

This could be as simple as letting choosing branching level-ups (BoDVII, Fallout), or as complex as letting them design their own machinery and mechanics (Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft). However I am more concerned about complete creation of things (such as designing a new sword, ranging from controlling its length to its metal construction: I am not planning something like this, I am curious what ideas get made by the TIGS hivemind), but these questions apply to all types of customization.

1.) What are the Pros/Cons for allowing a player to forge their own path?
2.) Does non-aesthetic customization have any value for gameplay over just having a more varied selection?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:02:46 PM by tergem » Logged

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »

Pros:
- cool

Cons:
- hard to execute it right, maybe even execute it at all (depends on the type of upgrades/customizations)
- balancing issues
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »

i liked how you could customize units in sid meier's alpha centauri, was the best part of that game

i don't think balance is *that* much of a problem if you make each aspect of a customizable object have a type of "cost" or other limits

for instance, the classes in final fantasy tactics are customizable in that you can equip them with skills and abilities they learned while playing other classes, but only a couple of them, not all of them (ff5 and ffx-2 did variations of this)

zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »

You asked whether customization / creation can add value. I think games like x-plane derive their primary value from this.

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
Moczan
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 04:22:24 AM »

I always loved games with a lot of customization. From simple thing like class system in RPGs to robot building in Armored Core. I'm a big fan of customization, so if your game has a lot of stuff and stats to play with, it can even have a lot of grind and it won't bore me at all.
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

One game I think does a great job with this is Shadowrun one the XBOX360.  The different magic and tech abilities can be combined in different ways to facilitate many different play styles/strategies.  One of the hard things about designing a game like this (which shadowrun did particularly well) is designing levels that provide many opportunities for each of the likely strategies a player might employ.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »

there's a shadowrun game for the xbox? i must be missing a lot. the only ones i knew about were the ones for snes and genesis

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »

It's very different from the old RPGs; it's a team based FPS.  But still very good IMO!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic