Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 03:51:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignExamples of semi- or fully-automated battle systems in RPGs?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Examples of semi- or fully-automated battle systems in RPGs?  (Read 1368 times)
Headless Man
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »

Making a kinda-sorta dungeon drawler with a very simple turn-based battle system and I've come up with something where the player can resolve combat with a single click, but can also optimise how defensive/aggressive the individual members are and what type of attacks they'll use etc. using sliders and checkboxes and so forth.  Directing individual actions won't be possible.
I haven't really played a lot of RPGs and I was hoping people could give some examples of games that operate using similar systems so I can check them out.  I know of FFXII (but I never played it) and I know Phantasy Star IV had autocombat (but I never used it).  Secret of Mana allowed you to set the AI of the computer-controlled character.  I'm looking for something that can potentially make battles breeze by like, say, Orbulon's games in Wario Ware:

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »

If you want it to be that fast, you should check out Half-Minute Hero. It quite possibly has the fastest RPG battles of all time. The battles in there are quite un-strategic, but with some tweaking it might be feasible to make a strategic battle system that fast.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »

Dammit, Sundownkid mentioned it while I was making this post and finding you

of Half-Minute Hero.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »

I used the power of the Time Goddess to go back 30 seconds and steal your post!

Ba-dum-pssh!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »

drakken for snes

ogre battle series (for snes and n64)

ff13 as mentioned

Faison
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05:58 AM »

Lords of Magic Special Edition had an auto battle feature titled "Auto Calculate." I don't know how it worked, but it allowed you to skip the RTS style battling.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »

this sound similar to the Ogre battle series (not tactics ogre) you have no control in battle only in the set up of the squad

like 5:30 in you will see combat

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic