Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 03:19:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMusical game (and by musical I mean the stage play kind)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Musical game (and by musical I mean the stage play kind)  (Read 1754 times)
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »

Once in a while, people make games that show that you can make something fun by using a bizarre framing device. Like Space Channel 5. So I wonder if a musical and a game can be combined in a fun way.

I haven't thought about it too much, so see if you can come up with any ideas on how to combine the two in an amusing way.

My ideas so far:
  • Play music during loading screens as if they were scene changes
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:34:59 PM »

I always thought a rail shooter or 2D shmup (or any other game with forced scrolling/movement) which was designed so that the entire level design synchronizes perfectly to the background music would be cool (and I don't mean a shitty Audiosurf-esque algorithm kind of thing either, I mean that the music and level are designed/chosen specifically to complement each other). Imagine a bullet hell game where the level followed the structure of

, for example (build ups, climaxes, pauses, etc. and all). You could even put in theater nods with the graphics, e.g. show a bunch of people pushing the boss character into the play area (or have a person be revealed underneath every enemy the player destroys), put curtain transitions and shuffling noises between levels, etc. (

had a sort of theater aesthetic going on, though it wasn't styled like a musical.)

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »

YES.

YES.

Another Space Channel 5 fan? Seriously, I'll help you out on this--if it was possible with Game Maker.

I was thinking a cooking game, but it's based around rhythm. Each stage is a different food. You get better jobs as the game goes on.
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »

See Level 2. Shame about the music.
Christopher Fibich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »

I was just thinking about this today... Although I really don't know how it would work gameplay wise.

Twitter: @Fib_Pixelmonium
Indie Tower Defense Game: https://www.sugarsnappgames.com/whitevaledefender
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »

Well... there is Rhapsody, the "musical RPG". But that game just has cutscenes that happen to be musicals. There's nothing really intertwined with the actual gameplay.

Also, I believe Paper Mario had battles that took place on stage as if they were a play, and the player was rated on how skilled they were by audience applause. I think an RPG that took the theater aesthetic even further, into more aspects of the game, would be interesting, and have the potential for comedy.

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

Well... there is Rhapsody, the "musical RPG". But that game just has cutscenes that happen to be musicals. There's nothing really intertwined with the actual gameplay.

Also, I believe Paper Mario had battles that took place on stage as if they were a play, and the player was rated on how skilled they were by audience applause. I think an RPG that took the theater aesthetic even further, into more aspects of the game, would be interesting, and have the potential for comedy.
I think I want more of an action game, so that I can events going on without the player's input and have it go with the music. However, I'm not sure what to do about the gameplay. I want to stay away from quick time events.
iffi
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:45:30 PM »

Imagine a bullet hell game where the level followed the structure of

, for example (build ups, climaxes, pauses, etc. and all).
The Touhou stages (especially in later games) tend to sync a lot with the BGM, though not to the extent that you describe. I like it because at times it helps me remember what enemies are coming next.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »

My current best idea for how the gameplay work is this:

The player can move around and interact with items. The player has to infer from the dialogue and music what they are supposed to do (it should be made somewhat obvious). If they fail to do that action soon enough, then based on how badly it affects the play, the player's "health bar" (not really pertaining to health or anything in particular) would decrease. If the run out of health, the scene stops, otherwise they get to keep going.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »

I always thought a rail shooter or 2D shmup (or any other game with forced scrolling/movement) which was designed so that the entire level design synchronizes perfectly to the background music would be cool (and I don't mean a shitty Audiosurf-esque algorithm kind of thing either, I mean that the music and level are designed/chosen specifically to complement each other)
Well guess what, the project I'm currently sort of working (meaning work is proceeding very slowly) is exactly that. It's a sidescrolling rail shooter (not shmup) set in the wild west with an Ennio Morricon style soundtrack, with levels designed according to the structure of the music. Each level is tied to one (non-looping) piece of music.

It's meant to be my homage to the Spaghetti Western genre of film and the level design technique is inspired by the prominent use of music in these movies. Though the problem sort of is that, the game being an homage and all, I want to use REAL spaghetti western music and manipulated stills of real spaghetti westerns for some of the graphics (I'm aiming for  a collage style). But I'm not keen on causing controversy or even getting into legal trouble due to the inevitable copyright infringement that comes with that idea.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »

In all honesty, CA, unless you plan on selling your work commercially, you probably won't need to worry much about legal troubles; a company might send a cease and desist letter if the game gets big enough, but you can worry about that if the situation arrives.

On the topic here, I believe Pathologic incorporated a theatrical aspect; the game begins as the player observes a stage occupied by the major players in the story, and there are regular intermissions and chapters.

I'd look to see how other games use musical themes- Zelda and Final Fantasy both come to mind. There's a pretty brilliant blog here about the use of leitmotifs in FFVI that you should definitely look up.

If you were wanting to integrate it more effectively with the gameplay, Portal 2 is also a fantastic example. Each element in a testing chamber has its own musical part, and they layer on top of each other as they are used in a subtle but effective manner.
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »

I always thought a rail shooter or 2D shmup (or any other game with forced scrolling/movement) which was designed so that the entire level design synchronizes perfectly to the background music would be cool

I bought bit.trip runner because of the way the level synchronized with the music. More games should do this.

tesselode, I assume you already thought of this, but the most literal translation of "like a musical, but as a game" would be like a Harmonix game. Are the Rock Band accessories (drum, guitars, microphone) easy to use from other games? A "My Fair Lady" edition of Rock Band would be kind of awesome...

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »

There was this KnP game where the setting was theatre and you had to do things. It was frontpaged a few months ago.
It was simplistic but funny.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic