Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:40:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSteam Greenlight announced
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33
Print
Author Topic: Steam Greenlight announced  (Read 58000 times)
jack_norton
Level 0

Better be independent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: December 08, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »

Primordia was probably the fastest Grennlit game ever (2 weeks I think). Shows how easily the people at Valve can misjudge a game. Especially crazy considering Dave has SEVEN games already there...!  Roll Eyes

Deviator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 12, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »

I'm reading this thread and for some reason no one is sharing their experience with greenlight.
Are there no people who at least tried to push/register game on Greenlight?

I mean if you listed at least on greenlight that should bring you some traffic to your main website isn't it?

So anyone?
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: December 12, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »

Some have, read again (or farther).

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: December 12, 2012, 09:19:03 AM »

Considering re-doing the artwork on the XOP games (or one of them, anyway) and submitting them to Greenlight.  Worth the time/effort?

The improvements would be make everything 32-bit instead of 8-bit paletted and remove/replace some of the backgrounds, or make everything into a vector art style.

For those that haven't seen it :

http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xop/index.html
http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xopblack/index.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:26:19 AM by Udderdude » Logged
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 12, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »

I'm reading this thread and for some reason no one is sharing their experience with greenlight.

I mean if you listed at least on greenlight that should bring you some traffic to your main website isn't it?

So anyone?

Not sure - they don't allow direct links to most websites , so I can't tell for Anodyne.

Greenlight has mostly been useless on its own. A hundred or so unique views but no one comments on anything (I mean neither do I when browsing through). We've been "55% to the top 100" in the past two months, and more or less it will stay that way until we do more marketing things, since we're relatively new to the Steam scene and don't have a huge fanbase:

1. Release the game and get press - I'm assuming this will happen, our very short demo got a lot of positive press. May help the greenlight effort a little bit.
2. Release the game and get LPs by large LP'rs. Not sure how likely, but this will more or less make or break you.
3. Run a kickstarter for some hardware we need for mobile ports and then get some fans/press from that.

If those 3 don't work, then from the Greenlight perspective we're screwed (unless somehow the game is popular among people and takes off via word of mouth, but I wouldn't bet on that) - nothing will ever bump you up and it's been consistently shown that the only Greenlit titles are those in the top 10, or those that have been rising very quickly (e.g. Primordia).

play hydlide 2
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: December 12, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »

So anyone?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92983309

Traffic to the mainsite, or other sites have not increased at all. We link them to those sites, but there is minimal clicking.
We now just repost the news from the mainsite to the announcements portion of the greenlight page.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: December 12, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »

Considering re-doing the artwork on the XOP games (or one of them, anyway) and submitting them to Greenlight.  Worth the time/effort?
I would start with renaming your games first.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Deviator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 13, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »

Traffic to the mainsite, or other sites have not increased at all.
That's a bummer, considering you have 150 comments and how many more people have not commented at all but know about existence of your game.  Undecided

Run a kickstarter
Kickstarter requires US citizenship btw
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: December 13, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »

Or english now. Some say if you find an US or Uk address you can point too and you can use an US or UK bank account, it's ok.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: December 15, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »

Anyone experience how (action) puzzle games are doing on steam?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: May 07, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »

Fucking exclusive secret meetings happening.
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/EnriqueDryere/20130507/191870/Main_Points_from_Valves_Greenlight_Developer_Chat_5713.php

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 07, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »

I don't think it's exclusive, that group has always existed (You just need to ask to join or join yourself, that's what I did). I only heard of the talk through word of mouth.

play hydlide 2
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 07, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »

It's exclusive to people with Greenlight submissions. If you paid the $100 fee you can join unrestricted. If you got into Greenlight prior to the fee you should send a message to Alden or TomB and they'll send you an invitation to join.
Tom_CrunchingKoalas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: May 07, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »

Don't know if the meeting was exclusive or not, but just in case it was, I've posted a filtered chat transcript from the meeting, so anyone can read it:

Improving Steam Greenlight: Valve meets indie devs in an online meeting

May it serve you well.

Cheers,
Tom - Crunching Koalas

Personal Twitter:@tom_tomaszewski  Team Twitter:@crunchingkoalas
Our Blog
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #634 on: May 07, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

I'm furious.
I'm getting better treatment from Sony.

Tom_CrunchingKoalas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: May 07, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »

I'm furious.

Yeah, the meeting was hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

So, you're developing for Sony, eh? Wink

------
Tom

Our Blog
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »

Didn't they send an email around to all registered greenlight devs well in advance, telling us to join the group so we could get into the chat?

Or did that only go to a subset?

(Check spam filter?)
Tom_CrunchingKoalas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: May 07, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »

Didn't they send an email around to all registered greenlight devs well in advance, telling us to join the group so we could get into the chat?

Or did that only go to a subset?

(Check spam filter?)

Dunno, we got it  Roll Eyes. Anyway, as you can see- the meeting wasn't worth it.

Tom

Our Blog
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #638 on: May 07, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »

I'm furious.
did they finally accept the game?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ant
« Reply #639 on: May 08, 2013, 02:43:29 AM »

I don't think it's exclusive, that group has always existed (You just need to ask to join or join yourself, that's what I did). I only heard of the talk through word of mouth.

Do the Steam dudes talk to people in that group's discussion page or is it just Greenlighters chatting?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic