Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:27:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMage Battle - Week 1/8 - Day 3
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mage Battle - Week 1/8 - Day 3  (Read 1529 times)
Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:24 AM »

Mage Battle

Overview
Mage Battle is a short game I will be developing over the next two months. It will feature two Wizards, each on opposing ends with the goal to destroy your enemy. This is achieved by summoning creatures to do your bidding. Summoned creates will move out onto the field, and fight anything in their path. Once they have made it across the field they will attack the enemy wizards shields until they are depleted, winning you the game.

There's also another mechanic to manage, scattered out on the field are "Mana Stones" which will be vital for the wizards success. These Mana Stones are collected by summoning a core "Gatherer" unit whose sole purpose is to collect these stones and return them to the Wizard, giving them an increased boost of mana.

Timeline
June 1st - July 31st (61days / ~8.7weeks)

Week 1: Design doc for all summons and their upgrades. ~6 summons total. (10%)
Week 2: Background Assets and a (basic) playable demo. (20%)
Week 3: Archer & Spike Bomb Completed. (30%)
Week 4: Shaman & Spear Serpent Completed. (40%)
Week 5: Phantom Assassin & Wizard Completed. (50%)
Week 6: Overview, Menus & Tutorial. (60%)
Week 7: Finalising all assets. Ready for submission. (70-90%)
Week 8: Submission process. (100%)

Curret Assets:
Manastone Powering Up & Manastone Idle Animations:

Stone Guardian Walk & Stone Guardian Attack Animations:

Current Progress:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:35:44 AM by Swifty » Logged

sunnder
Level 0

Scorch Arena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 04:21:52 AM »

Summoned creates will move out onto the field, and fight anything in their path. Once they have made it across the field they will attack the enemy wizards shields until they are depleted, winning you the game.

So is this similar to a tower defense? In other words, will the Wizard be something that I, as the player, can control and move around with? Or is it just this game's version of my life counter? Is the character in the screenshot the "Wizard" or one of the summoned creatures?

It's kinda hard to imagine the intended gameplay but the idea sounds like it has promise. I'm looking forward to see how it develops. Smiley

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:56:55 AM »

So is this similar to a tower defense? In other words, will the Wizard be something that I, as the player, can control and move around with? Or is it just this game's version of my life counter? Is the character in the screenshot the "Wizard" or one of the summoned creatures?

It's kinda hard to imagine the intended gameplay but the idea sounds like it has promise. I'm looking forward to see how it develops. Smiley
The wizards are essentially static life counters, each at opposite ends. The wizards aren't controlled via movement, they summon the creatures you select.

The character (Stone Guardian) in the screenshot is a summoned creature, its role is a tank and is used to protect your weaker summoned creatures!

Hope that helps Smiley

sunnder
Level 0

Scorch Arena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »

That clears it up a bit! Another question: In the GIF, is the player controlling the Stone Guardian? If so, can the player choose which of his creatures he controls? If not, nevermind.

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »

That clears it up a bit! Another question: In the GIF, is the player controlling the Stone Guardian? If so, can the player choose which of his creatures he controls? If not, nevermind.
Not really Smiley Most of the gameplay will be judging your army composition against theirs and summoning what you think is best, as well as getting out gatherers at the right time to collect the Manastones.

With that said certain summons will require some (mostly small) level of micromanagement. For example if you have archers out on the field you have to give them a rally point, so they stop moving and will start firing. Which you can move (forward) if you want to push your advantage, but than your archers are further out on the field and more vulnerable, etc.

Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »

Week 1 - Day 2

I've completed all design doc for all the summons. If I get time I'll look to adding more. They are:

Gatherer
Stone Guardian
Archer
Spike Bomb
Shaman
Phantom Assassin
Spear Serpent

I have also worked out all of their upgrades, as each summon has two possible upgrades to choose from. In later updates I'll go into more depth for each Summon and their stats & upgrades.

Current Progress:

The above .gif shows the parallax scrolling and the backgrounds I've been working on today.

Screenshot:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:43:51 AM by Swifty » Logged

Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 02:37:38 AM »

Week 1 - Day 3

I unfortunately didn't have a whole lot of time to get work done today, but I managed to get the Gatherer Summon's design completed.

This is at large scale:

It's all been broken up into its parts (head/body/arm) so tomorrow I'll be getting some animations done!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic