Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 10:04:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYou call that a game? I call that torture!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: You call that a game? I call that torture!  (Read 9235 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 03:21:18 AM »

Yet Nethack can be pretty damn brutal. I think I have had just as much success with Nethack as I have had with ADOM.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »

Yeah, games have gotten easier, but there are still some painful gems out there.  A lot of them have easy modes, except those are fairly meaningless because you need to play the higher difficulties to unlock stuff (and in Contra 4's case, you can't even win the game on easy).  F-Zero GX is like that; the requirements for getting all those extra tracks and pilots are insane.  I can't even win the story mode!  And thanks to it's scoring system, the Megaman Zero series kept things interesting too; over 80% would get you new moves, and they sounded cool, so I trained until I got them, repeating levels again and again until I had that one good run.  The fact that time was part of the system didn't help either.

A friend of mine showed me a video of I Wanna Be the Guy on YouTube a little while ago; it really is unfair with all those hidden traps and whatnot, I can't believe that some of you guys are playing it without your monocles popping off and shattering due to the sheer futility of it all.

Gentleman
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »

Yeah, I beat IWBTG. It was really hard, but definitely quite manageable after some practice.

I think FLaiL was harder, and more fun, really. The inertia is hard to get used to, but once you have it down you have a lot of fun. I beat that too.

Bonesaw is the other super hard freeware platformer I've played. The difficulty curve was a bit arbitrary, considering. The main path through the game is rather easy, if you're not trying to get all the pucks, but then you hit a brick wall when you reach the space levels, and the last boss is especially hard. Still, it's probably in the top three favorite freeware games of mine (with La Mulana and Cave Story).
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »

I think what I like about these painful games is that once you've gotten good at one, the skills are fairly transferable throughout the genre, and these games are sooooooo satisfying to win (or even just to win a level/boss).  I almost never played action games before I got good at Zero 3 (rts, fps, and those great old adventure games were my thing), and as soon as I mastered that game, I really got into the action genre in general (2d and 3d).  I guess it all comes back to quick reflexes and quick thinking, plus some great high-stakes moments that you just don't get in other genres, eg. incredibly intense boss fights.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 10:39:04 PM »

oh god i started trying to play La Mulana..

Cry

its too hard....
ImaginaryThomas
Level 1

Reor, Creo, Incito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 03:31:47 AM »

I just picked up bangaio spirits for the DS and it's a little bit of hell in this regard.

I had to special order a copy because no one's stocking it but they have a midnight launch for Madden (the same game you play every year) 09  Angry

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 04:02:30 AM »

Anyone here ever played Gun Valkyrie for the (original) Xbox? I think THAT game was hard. Well, it's not directly hard, but you really have to master the controls if you want to get anyhwere and they can be a bitch to master.

I still can't believe I beat that game (Although with the girl, I think if you play the guy it's even harder).
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 05:15:55 AM »

oh god i started trying to play La Mulana..

Cry

its too hard....
La Mulana actually isn't all that hard once you get the hold of it. Except hell temple. Hell temple is hell.
godsavant
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »

Anyone here ever played Gun Valkyrie for the (original) Xbox? I think THAT game was hard. Well, it's not directly hard, but you really have to master the controls if you want to get anyhwere and they can be a bitch to master.

I still can't believe I beat that game (Although with the girl, I think if you play the guy it's even harder).

To all gamers: "Play Gun Valkyrie before you even think of complaining about the wonky camera in Ninja Gaiden 2..."
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

i can beat knytt stories.

Cool

jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:12 AM »

Good call, it's a gem if ever there was one. It's one of those titles you glaze over when looking at the racks at your local game store (Like God hand, check that one out too). I got it used at EB for $10!

Definitely, definitely get God Hand. The game actually punishes you for doing well. But it hurts so good.

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:37 AM »

I just picked up bangaio spirits for the DS and it's a little bit of hell in this regard.

I had to special order a copy because no one's stocking it but they have a midnight launch for Madden (the same game you play every year) 09  Angry
Bangai-O Spirits is one of my top 5 DS games.
Go out and buy it now, everyone.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2008, 05:36:45 AM »

Final Fight. I could always get through the first few stages, and then it would just become impossible for me to progress without dying.

The original Super Mario Brothers. Some of the jumps you're expected to make in that game are just sadistic, and I could never get used to the excessive inertia of your character. Also, I freakin' hated those turtles that sat on the clouds and threw spiky balls at you. (I'm intentionally not factoring in the level-skipping cheats, since that's not really playing through the whole game.)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic