Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:20:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)simple pixel art knight
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: simple pixel art knight  (Read 3018 times)
rrc
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2021, 10:24:46 PM »

Hi how are things?
You see, I wanted to show you some of the sprites that I'm using for my new video game, what do you think?
The truth is that I am new to this so I am open to criticism

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 06:13:55 AM »

There are some nice things going on here. I like the color choices. The main thing I'd change would be to have every sprite use the same pixel size. There's a pretty wild mix of resolutions going on here, which causes all kinds of artifacting and clashing. Those seams that are showing up in the wall near the character in the first picture wouldn't happen the same way if everything was drawn to a fixed-resolution canvas at 1x before being scaled up for presentation. (There might still be a gap there, but the fix would be more obvious - it'd either be 1 full pixel or not be there are all.)

A more minor point on the character sprite: The line right near the waist where tunic meets legplates has a boundary of two colors that are extremely similar. I think it would read better if the dark gray and dark maroon had more contrast between each other, either with some sort of boundary line or just choosing different color values that are more different in brightness.

Keep practicing! This is a good start. If you're writing a game with these graphics, it might be fun to start a devlog. Also, we'd love to see you introduce yourself in the dedicated thread for it!

yet-another-painter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:00:14 AM »

I would suggest to work on tileset too.
It seems like you just started with pixel art.

1. The quality. I see that most of the patter is kinda random. I suggest you just draw outline, and another (inner row) with some rocks. Some ellipse or round shapes should do the trick.

2. There are visible seams on (empty pixel). Seems like you do not use any autotile software. I suggest you look into TileSetter, PyxelEdit or at least Tiled (this on is free). The process I usually go is to make a mockup image with tileset and lay down a small map. Then I draw the actual tiles and see how the drawing goes together.

And last thing. Seem that there is no contrast between character and the world. I would suggest trying drawin  the asset with predefined palette. Or to do the trick with white outline for the character.

Some course on pixel art would not hurt too. I can suggest you one if you want. But again it is paid one.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic