Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:32:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBroken Apocalypse - Platformer Shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Broken Apocalypse - Platformer Shooter  (Read 1796 times)
RollingRock
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:00:02 AM »

Broken Apocalypse is a platform shooter game there you'll play as a robot. Killing other robots in a hostile environment. You'll be able to move around in a pre-fixed level filled with enemies and objects. You'll be able to pickup weapons you find among the way for later use. But as you start the game you'll only be equipped with a pistol, a weak firearm but will surely save your head.

Features;
Platformer with a following Camera
Firearms with various functions
Enemies that will hinder the player's progress
Health bar with "Out of Combat" health regeneration (If you haven't taken damage for the 20 last seconds, you'll start regenerate back your health).

• Rickard_TadicRickar as Rickard, Programmer and Leader.
  • Isak, Programmer.
  • RollingRock as Daniel, Graphics Artist.
  • olleekenberg as Olle, Graphics Artist and Co-Leader.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:07:03 AM by RollingRock » Logged
voltaicore
Level 0

Audio engineer who also produces eclectic tunes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:20:53 PM »

If you need an audio engineer or audio producer be sure to message me so we can work something out for Broken Apocalypse

-Keith
PunschrOlle
Level 0

>- Olle Ekenberg -< Graphics designer student

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:09:48 AM »

Hello, Graphics designer Olle here.

The Development on Broken Apocalypse is slowly moving forward! Grin Although we have not come very far we still have some things to show you lovely people:

We actually have a Player design! woo  Big Laff
This horrendous robot is supposed to be the player. I really don't like it and i am not proud. But because i wasted to much time making it and animating it there is no reason to remake it. Well, that's that.

We will keep you updated at least once a week and every week one of us will update you on how its going.
I'll see you in four weeks people.

Olle
Rickard_Tadic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:14:48 AM »

and now it´s time for the programmers update.
This week has been a bit slow for us because we got a big challenge, due we are new programmers.
So what´s the big challenge? well the first we thing we started was our 360 degree crosshair so that the users know the range on the gun. But after a time we figured it out.

public void Update()
        {
            if (Game1.gamePad.ThumbSticks.Right.X != 0 || Game1.gamePad.ThumbSticks.Right.Y != 0)
            {
                angle = Math.Atan2(Game1.gamePad.ThumbSticks.Right.Y, Game1.gamePad.ThumbSticks.Right.X);
            }

position.X = (float)Math.Cos(angle) * 100;
            position.Y = -(float)Math.Sin(angle) * 100;

center = Game1.character.position;
            totalPosition = center + position;
        }

so whats going on here? well the first thing we have to know is the angle on our thumbsticks and we do that with Math.Atan2.
Great we have the angle but what about the position and it doesnt follow the character? well we have get the position by doing cos on x and sin y, multiply that with the range you want and you get the position. Please notice it´s - on sin not + so it doesn´t get opposite position. To get the crosshair to follow the player you have to pick up characters position and ad that to  your position and then u get the totalposition, Great!  Grin Sincerely the Programmers!  Gentleman
isac.svensson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:56:31 AM »

Hello! Isac here! I´ve been working with the map today and the prototype of the map is almost done but we need to do some changes.

The blue tiles is solid blocks and the orange tiles is meant to be the background!

One tile is 32x32!

More updates will come!
RollingRock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »

Yo!
Woohoo! Nearly a month has gone since we started with this gaming project and we've done much since we started.

This tileset turned out to be easier than I thought. If you don't include the first tile in the tileset. Because that was a nightmare to make... not to mention how badly it turned out in the end. The latter tiles were easier to make due to I already had a rough design over how they would look like. That also gave me more flexibility to work on finer tiles than from scratch. All tiles are 32x32 tiles wide and high except the "half-blocks". Those are 32x16 pixels width.

A bullet, ready to use in game. The bullet in the game is 16x16 pixels large.
I would also want to point out how the last two tiles looks like "faces". But believe me, it wasn't really meant to be faces. It just happened to be so in the end. It also gave me a laugh once I found it out. But I decided to leave it unchanged. 
That's all folk from me.   Hand Metal LeftWizard

- Daniel, Graphics Artist.
PunschrOlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 03:05:31 AM »

Graphics designer Olle here.

This week I have worked a lot on the walking animation for the main character. Roll Eyes It has actually started to look great and not as terrible as it originally was. The walking animation is not done yet and will be finished soon.

Me creating the walking cycle.

Trying to rotate a foot

Creating a revolver

Its great writing these posts for you 4 people who actually read these.

Olle
isac.svensson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 05:42:52 AM »

Hello guys. Another update is here, I´ve been doing some changes on the maplayout and it is actually done. Rickard have been working with our enemy positions how they work and he´s been doing some stuff home. The real textures will come when we got the next session.
A small update this time but more will come. Cya!
RollingRock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »

Yo! Another update on the game. Last time we worked on the game, we finished the graphics to one enemy and (most) of all animations to it. Only a moving animation remains. Yaay! One step closer to a finished game.

But what was my thoughts on the enemy during the development process? Well, first it started of as a brainstorm over how the enemy should look like. My co-worker thought of making an enemy with spikes on top. The deeper we went with the brainstorming, suddenly it struck me... what if you made an enemy that looked like a driller, worked like a driller BUT was deadlier than a driller?

I started doing concept arts on how I wanted the enemy to look like until I picked one I liked. It was splendid, matched the theme we were going with the game AND could look cute and deadly at the same time.

After the concept-process was done I and had picked out my favorite, I started with making a rough pixelart in Photoshop. You could also use GIMP or whatever photo editing program you perfer. I would personality use GIMP because I'm a seasoned user to it but because the computer I used didn't have GIMP, I had to go with Photoshop. Similiar features except some minor differences. How big should the drill be? How big should the body of the vechice be? Questions I asked myself in order to question my work. It is good for an artist to question him/herself if the work he/she is doing is keeping his/her standads. It also allows you to develop a stronger bond to your creation. If you allow yourself to build a bond to your creation, you'll be able to build up a game funnier and better for the player than if you would just make a creation just because... meh, I could so why not. You need passion to make a good game.

After I was done with making all thinking and changed some minor stuff on the enemy, I decided to make details like lighting and shading. BAD IDEA!!! I made the misstake that means; I first made the details to later animate the enemy. Don't do it, it only makes your work 10x times harder than it should be. Start with making animations to the creation if it shall have any, then do details to the character. Trust me, just trust me. It will help you in a long run and when you're working with big projects.

If you thought; Why make it so difficult? Why make dozen of concepts on just one sole enemy? Why not use the first picture you draw and make something out of it? Well, you could do that if you're not afraid to be disapointed on the creation, halfway through the process. You see, sometimes the first thought may not be the best, but the following after the first image may be similiar to the first one. Similiar, but not a completely copy of it. One may have a different shape of the body, an other may have a complete different design but with a similiar drill. If you make several concept arts of the creation you wish to make, you'll find out it will be easier to find one you'll like and enjoy to craft to later use in the game. It will also be easier for others in the development-group to say their thought of the creation than if you made one concept art.

My Co-worker Olle also continued his work on making animations to the player-sprite. At the moment the player sprite has taken us most of the time in the project, whole 5 work days. But I can understand him, making a player-sprite is one of the most important sprites in the game. It will be the one the player will mostly see when he/she starts up the game, so it must be good.

Wow, never thought this would be a long update on the game.
Now I say goodbye.  Wizard Hand Metal Right

-Daniel, Graphics Artist.
PunschrOlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:32:47 AM »

Hello

The walking animation is complete and ready to be used ingame:   Durr...?

gotta go fast

The head does not look normal at the moment and might get changed in the future
but right now this is how it is supposed to be. The animation is twelve frames
long and is made up of 6 frames that are played twice in a row. the color of
the legs change every 6 frames to make it look like the legs stay on their side.

- Daniel has started working on enemy number two and is done with enemy number one.

- Rickard has made the character able to walk around ingame and has made an arm that
  can shoot in 360 degrees around the robot.

- Isac has made one level with bright test tiles that we can use to test everything.

very very quick artwork of our character

This was all from me this time. I will send more posts in some weeks, bye!

/ xoxo Olle

Olle
RollingRock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 01:18:42 PM »

This update I will discuss about what we have done the last 2 weeks. I will also inform you about a very important update we had to do with the group-name due to historical events. Lastly I will bring up features that is/will be scrapped in the game and the reasons why.  Cry
Also sorry for not having an update last week.

During these two weeks we have continued our work with the Player. Our walking animation is now complete (Yay!) and our work with the death animation is almost done. Soon the player is done and we can move on.
We have also worked on making an other enemy as I mentioned above. An enemy with a cannon.

Why having shooting enemy you ask? Well, the answer is simple; We wanted something that could be a dangersource for the player. Something that would slow the player down.
I had by the way the freedom to design the enemy and what emotions the enemy would create. I can tell you, it had some big changes from the first concept art to the finished product. Why? Well, I will explain why in just a moment.

First the enemy had some light values and some friendly shapes as body. But it turned out... it looked horrible. Therefore I scrapped the idea of having a "friendly" enemy and instead I stick with the idea of an evil, scary robot. I also had the idea of giving the robot, but then I remembered what pain in the... it is to create moving legs. Also we already had enemy charging at you. So why having a moving shooting enemy? Yes, it would make sense but would it be fun? Or would it just be a pain in the butt to encounter? Therefore I scraped the idea of giving him/her the ability to move or walk. That is why the robot looks like he/she he is "glued" to the ground. In the end, due to lack of knowledge and how time consuming it is to create nice-looking, animated legs, I scrapped the idea of having legs on the enemy.

As I began my concept-art-to-sprite process, I began to think of some couple stuff during the development. Does the robot have to look humanoid? How will I able to build up fear on 32x64 tiles? How will it shoot?
All questions were later answered throughout the development in more or less practical solutions and tons of thinking.
Making a sprite from scratch isn't just about making it look good. It also has to be about what personality it will build up... etc.

Well, before I start to bore you out (as I am myself tired of talking about the same thing now  Tired), I will go on on the next subject I will bring up. The big chance we in the group did to the group-name.

Earlier our group-name was called "WolfPack", but after we searched further into what Wolfpack really means, we went from being amazed on our name, to embarrassed. We would out Wolfpack was releated to something really bad, so we have to do a name-change. After some talking in the group, we decided to rename ourself as "SpiderSquid". So here it is, our new name on the gaming group is now called "SpiderSquid".

Lastly I will bring up some stuff that may not see the light of the finished game. We may not be able to have more than one weapon available to the player due to we just don't have enough time to develop an other weapon. We at SpiderSquid also feels sorry for scrapping this, but we have to. Otherwise we may not be able to finish our game before the deadline (and that would be even more worse than scrapping this feature).

If you have any more questions or opinions, feel free to leave a reply.

Daniel, Graphics Designer   Hand Metal Left Wizard

Rickard_Tadic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 03:43:44 AM »

Hello! its me, Rickard  Grin
well i have not written so much at the moment sorry, so what have i done so far?
well i done some work at the animation stuff, also fixed my crosshair that was a bit off.
that was the important stuff i´ve done. I also did some work at the pistol like put a timer one the bullet Smiley.

well i have much work to do so i have to go now sorry

see you, sincerely Rickard Tadic Gentleman
PunschrOlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 02:49:26 AM »

Hello!

It was a long time since i last wrote here on this blog.
A lot of stuff has happened with the game and for my part a lot of animations have ben created. Here are 3 new ones:

Jump |  death  | hurt

These will fit perfectly into the game and at the moment
only the jump animation is ingame, the other animations
will make it into the game eventually.

The level is complete and Daniel is working on a title screen for the game.

/I will see you later. We only have 1 week left to work on the game
 before we cross our deadline which means i have a lot to do. Bye!

Olle
Rickard_Tadic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 03:16:52 AM »

Hello, it´s me Rickard. Time to make a last update because the game is pretty much done now! Grin
what I wanted to tell about now is my jumping animation programming. So what did I have to do first?
well you have to know if the player is in the air or not.
So i created a bool with the name isGrounded and if isGrounded is false, the animation will start.

if (isGrounded == false)
{
if (side == 1 && animationJumpTimer >= 2) // Right
                   {
                        if (srcRect.X < 288)
                        {
                            srcRect.X += 32;
                            srcRect.Y = 195;
                            animationJumpTimer = 0;
                        }
                    }
}

you also have to make a timer so the animation wont go to fast, just make an int and then + it with 1 every frame

animationJumpTimer += 1;

hm.. you want to know if the player is turned right or left? Well I made an int and made 1 Left and 2 right, and by other programs makes it knows which side it´s.

After that you´re free to make your animation program. which is a sourcerectangle btw!
And make sure you put back your timer to 0 Smiley

sincerely, Rickard Tadic
PunschrOlle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 01:35:45 AM »

Whats up.
Here is a quick link to a Youtube video that shows how the game looks at the moment:

The game is almost completed and we will not work too much on this game anymore as it
is a school project. The game will not be released to the public.

Olle
RollingRock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »

Daniel, Graphics Artist here.

First of all, I'm sorry for lack of updates on the game. It is just we have had both some big, but also some minor changes to the game, so we thought (atleast I thought) we could save it all to the last. Well, not all to the last, just some big changes we have done. So we can explain it better.

First of all, the map has gone through some big changes in a short time. And I mean some BIG changes.
First of all, we replaced the dev textures with the real textures. It is always better to do it as fast as possible unless your map isn't completely done yet. In one way developer textures helped us to count how big the player is compared to the map etc. It also greatly helped us on counting how big the map is and if we should do it bigger or smaller. But in an other way, the developer textures wasn't even done in the first place when we first implented them into the game. We just had no big updates what should be what until we decided on having orange as solid and blue as non-solid.

So in other words, developer-textures are good during the early phrase of the game, but once you're done with the alpha-testing and want to move on with the game, you have to replace the textures. It is now complete.

Another thing we did was to make the map larger while also making it more fun. We discovered early in the game, the map had some serious bugs and it would often crash once you fell into a hole. Not to mention there were a place in the map the player could fall in, only to be stuck there forever. In other words, some serious problems we had to fix.

What we did was first to make the map bigger. During the resizement of the map, I caught an idea. What if we also made some minor design in the map layout. Now this is something I wouldn't reccommened to do unless you've good communication with your developer-group or if the map has some serious map-issues. Anyways, we removed the gap the player could be stuck in, we made a few jumps trickier while adding several more jumps. We also made the "buildings" higher or in other words, the level higher. We made it about 50% bigger in width and about 40% bigger in height. Not entirely sure, but it was a big difference it did. We also added some decoration into the map. A few lamps hanging from the ceiling, a couple pipes against the walls and also an empty room, just for decoration.

An other thing we did was to create a clear route to tell the player where to go. It may have had a clear one before, but because we did some major map overhaul, we also had to think on how to easiest explain to the player where to go. It may seem silly thinking on such a thing when you're developing a small platformer game, but imagine if you're making several levels with different routes. It is always better to think ahead and perpare for the worst than getting the results at the worst moment.

After we made some major map-overhaul to the game, Olle, the other graphics artist made some nice looking death and jumping sprites to the player. Before when the player jumped, it was just using an idle sprite. It may sound okay it was okay, but we wanted it to be more than okay. We wanted the player to look good. Therefore Olle made a jumping animation we implented.

Olle created a  jumping spritesheet that will play everytime the player is jumping and is in the air. He did it by first opening up the idle sprite. Then he brainstormed until he was satisifed with the result.
One thing you should keep in mind when you're making player sprites to the player, is to make the animations quick to respond. You don't what the player to wait until the player does something. Lets say you're making a jumping animation to the player. Then you shouldn't do like it is perparing to jump before jumping. You should instead lay more focus on when the player is landing. There you can add details to the animation. Same goes to an animation that plays when the player takes damage. You don't want it to have a "delay" before playing.
It is a misstake you don't want to do because it can quickly change the gameplay to be more boring or frustrating... in a bad way.

Half way through now... pew.  Tired
Well, let us continue now.

While our map was more or less done and our player have our animations, we still missed one thing. A menu. A menu that will both play and quit the game. A menu that will appear when you pause the game, when you start the program and when you die in the game. You cannot play a game without a menu. You just cannot because without a menu, there is no way of playing the game nor pausing nor exit the game. One way to work around it would be to start the game when you start the program. That means not having something that pauses the game when you open the program. It may be good during early development of the game, but when you're getting near the deadline, you want a way to play and exit the game. Not having one may make you a novice. Well, not make. More likely it shows clearly you're a novice.
First of all we had to make the buttons the menu will use. Once it was done, we programmed so we could see the buttons. Afterward we gave them a function or in other words, made so you could select one and another of the buttons. Both with the controller and with the keyboard. After that was done, we added so you could select and press the button to do something. What we wanted to do was to make so it played the game. But we would've had more time, we could've also made a button for settings and for help. Many developers tend to have many buttons on the menuscreen because it is there the game first starts. Buttons like settings, help, donate (mostly seen in flash games) and also a credit page.

Anyways, after our menu was done, the game was finally ready to be called... believe it or not, finished. After several months and with blood, sweat and tears... the game was finally done. And yes, the game is now finished. If we were a big devgroup, we would probally already release it to a market or something. But because it was our school project, we don't have the allowence to sell the game. And if we were an indle devgroup, we would probally do the same as the big devgroups would do. Launch it to a market and sell it out to the public.

Some last words I have to say before I leave you all, it has been a wonderful trip and a new experience developing my first big game. Also for loyal fans who may have followed us to the end. Thanks.
One thing left, even if you're a graphics artist but have some knowledge in programming, don't be afraid to help the programmers.

Hand Thumbs Up Left Wizard Hand Metal Right Daniel, Graphics Artist.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic