Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411597 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 11:49:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWorst Robot
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Worst Robot  (Read 6924 times)
dillomatic
Level 0

i'm the worst at what i do best!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »

worst robot is a game about jumping, and not touching spikes.
worst robot is not a game about innovation.
worst robot is a game about being belittled.
worst robot is a game about knowing what it truly is like being the worst.
worst robot is my first game with more than 2 hours invested. consider this my first of many failures.

this will be my first project with over 10 levels, and with over 2 hours put in. it is a basic platformer. there are no frills. this is the game that you notice in lots of pictures but no one talks about, because theres not much to say.

i am 3 hours in, as of this post. all graphics/definitely music are still being worked on.

in fact, if a musician wants to throw me a few songs, i would be very, very grateful.

the plot is this:
here

the current build as of this post is:
right here

the updated, current build for the entire game is:
overyonder
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:38:19 PM by dillomatic » Logged

i am great.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:47:21 PM »

Ehh well I got stuck at the room with "now you missed the crate" or maybe it ended there?

Despite it being bad in almost every way it had a certain charm to it, I especially like the expression on the robot's face.

But how can he be the worst robot ever made? He was able to walk and jump, very many robots are not.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:55:30 PM »

The platform movement object creates a more solid platform engine, and is super easy to understand in mmf2

Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »

Ehh well I got stuck at the room with "now you missed the crate" or maybe it ended there?

Yep, this happened to me also. I found the game strangely intriguing. Maybe because I always wanted to see how I'd be insulted next. So at the end do you get to blow all the other "good" robots away because your so pissed that they've been trashing you the whole time? That would be awesome.

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
yesfish
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »

lol robot poison.

There's something morbidly entertaining about playing a game with the klik platform movement, AND VERY AGGRIVATING TOO. I had fun.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:22:01 AM »

thank you everyone! yes, that little build ended on that one. i'm glad you guys were interested.

the ending will be a surprise, sir! although quite a bit of work for me.

the platform movement object had a tendency of getting the active object stuck. or is that just me?

i am great.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »

the platform movement object had a tendency of getting the active object stuck. or is that just me?

What do you mean stuck?
I havn't had a problem so far.

pgil
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »

I like how the storyline begins. I'd like to play as an underdog robot.

I don't know anything about Multimedia Fusion, except that everyone who uses it hates it.
Sorry.

I like the belittling message walls though. Whoever wrote those... I want to kick his ass.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »

What do you mean stuck?
I havn't had a problem so far.

for some reason, whenever i touch walls using platform objects, it gets glitchy and stuck what advantage does is have over obstacles?

I like how the storyline begins. I'd like to play as an underdog robot.

I don't know anything about Multimedia Fusion, except that everyone who uses it hates it.
Sorry.

I like the belittling message walls though. Whoever wrote those... I want to kick his ass.

i'm glad you like the story! honestly, i like MMF2. i'm an painter, not a programmer. its easy enough to use while still being flexible. i'm just blatantly not taking advantage of what its capable of. i'd love to work with a real programmer, but i've only ever been contacted twice, and both people just ceased communication with me...

anyways, devlog news. i have a musician now and he's pretty amazing. i've spent the last 2 days at my girlfriends house so i haven't done any actual work, but i'm itching to get going!

thanks for the kind words

i am great.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »

build 2:

download here

i have a musician! an amazing one! wait around at the title screen or a crate, the music is great. i'm trying to figure out a way to have the music not loop on death... i have an idea, i'll implement it later. thinking outloud. bah!

updated graphics as well, still need to finish the bricks

also:

-any thoughts on the font? should i go for something else or do you like it?
-how are the animations? fluid or no?
-enemies: yes or no? keep it as a game about jumping, or add some bad things to kill/avoid?
-should i put in a system of points to keep track of the box number? or just let you keep on going through?

feedback please!

EDIT:
nuild3

same questions apply, but this build has bug fixes, and some cut scenes, and some new little thing when the levels start. try this instead, its a bit better. better music too.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:03:22 PM by dillomatic » Logged

i am great.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:59 PM »

I like the music. There's a part I simply cannot get past, and I'm not sure if it's me being bad at platformers or poor level design. (It's the area just past the pit where you automatically fall and die.)

dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »

I like the music. There's a part I simply cannot get past, and I'm not sure if it's me being bad at platformers or poor level design. (It's the area just past the pit where you automatically fall and die.)

which level is that? i'm able to beat all of the levels, so they are beatable, but i am re-pacing it right now, to put more easy, level-curving stuff in the beginning

i am great.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:05:47 AM »

Uh...do they have names or something? It's the one where you have to jump over two sets of  spikes, but there are spike walls floating in midair in between them. I can't seem to make the second jump without hitting my head on the spike wall above.

Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »

Uh...do they have names or something? It's the one where you have to jump over two sets of  spikes, but there are spike walls floating in midair in between them. I can't seem to make the second jump without hitting my head on the spike wall above.

Yeah, that one was kinda difficult for me at the beginning. There is a certain way to go about it and it is passable.

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 08:38:14 PM »

hello, everybody!

this now has 3 cut-scene/not-game-play-related-moments now! they are the most horrible thing. jesus christ, bothersome.

there are now 7 levels, the music is in correctly, there are two rather large bugs:
pressing down in the first and the second cutscene fucks them up

i'm way to fried from setting them up to continue to try and fix them. if any mmf2 wizards want to give me a shout, take a look at the source file and tell me what to do, i'd be grateful

pacing is a little better, i think? i tried to make it a tad easier. i still have at least 5 more levels to make before i start the polishing process which will be god knows how long.

for now, the questions up there still apply, i would love some feedback. please?

download: here

i am great.
Kevin
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »

Maybe I have a thing for crummy robots. Maybe I'm a masochist and the text turns me on. Who knows. Either way, I don't hate this. I don't hate this at all.

I noticed  couple of things that you probably already know about, so ignore this if I'm covering old ground. One, my head went through the ceiling a couple of times. Two, some of the spikes in the final(?) room didn't hurt me when I touched them.

Here's a picture of both things happening at once:

Also, the jump sound effect occasionally seems to play multiple times simultaneously. It's louder from time to time, anyway.

You asked in an earlier post is the animations were fluid. They're fluid enough, but right now the robot just bends his knees as he moves forward. This seems like a pretty decent walk cycle example.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »

Maybe I have a thing for crummy robots. Maybe I'm a masochist and the text turns me on. Who knows. Either way, I don't hate this. I don't hate this at all.

I noticed  couple of things that you probably already know about, so ignore this if I'm covering old ground. One, my head went through the ceiling a couple of times. Two, some of the spikes in the final(?) room didn't hurt me when I touched them.

Here's a picture of both things happening at once:

Also, the jump sound effect occasionally seems to play multiple times simultaneously. It's louder from time to time, anyway.

You asked in an earlier post is the animations were fluid. They're fluid enough, but right now the robot just bends his knees as he moves forward. This seems like a pretty decent walk cycle example.

ah! i just realized, i put the fake spikes in the last room in that build instead of the real ones. good call. no idea about the bricks not working... i'll look into that. thanks!

yeah, the jump thing, i have no idea. the problem i had was that playing a sample when shift was pressed only played it once,if you held down the key. now i have it on playing if the jump animation is played, but that results in some doubling up. i'm not sure how to go about it! i'll figure something out.

and jesus, that link is amazing. veeery helpful. if i have time to work on this tomorrow i think i'll actually redo the walk cycle.

thank you!

i am great.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 11:37:47 PM »

new animations, fixed cutscenes, better handling of music, more levels, new cutscene type thing, credits added

download here

i am great.
Kevin
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »

The gold text keeps making me smile. "Try not to trip, you son of a bitch". Classic.

Anyway, the animation if much nicer, but you might consider some upper body movement, like swinging arms, having his head bob up and down, that kind of thing. I get stuck in the downward sloping bricks. at one point, I was able to get my head stuck in a wall, slide along underneath it, and continue sliding until I hit a horizontal wall. Which was actually pretty awesome. Also, sometimes if you stand on the very edge of a block, the animation will start and then just loop until you move. I had to play with the sound off, so I can't really give any feedback on that.

I'm glad this is coming along.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »

this thread has been in limbo as i haven't had a computer for a few weeks

regardless, i go off to college in a week or so, taking only my mac, so progress on this entire project will be halted quite a bit. i do intend to finish it, but only being able to develop through parallels will hinder me quite a bit.

also means that outside of this, game development is over for me unless i find a programmer. i can't find a mmf2 equivalent for mac Sad

i am great.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic