Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 02, 2024, 11:44:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Chef - Serve as a chef's hand by day and hunt monsters by night
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Chef - Serve as a chef's hand by day and hunt monsters by night  (Read 1806 times)
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2018, 04:00:04 AM »

Dungeon Chef
Welcome to the devlog for our game, Dungeon Chef. I've been working on it for a couple of months now, and I think I'm in a position where some interesting progress is going to begin to take shape.

Story.
The town has been hit with a ferocious storm, setting the denizens of the oft-passed through hamlet back years in terms of development. Hit hard is the inn, where a conniving kitchen hand hatches a plan to survive through the chaos.

Goals.
- Numerous zones to explore, with more difficult prey, or predator the further you push in, or down through the undergrowth of the Wilds, the untamed landscape surrounding the town.
- The town will rebuild after the frightful storm as you play, including the inn.
- Rewarding platformer combat, focusing on bringing back the best cut of meat you can find in the wilds.
- Blend in as a non-descript towns-person by day, living through the terror of the recent storm, but by night make underhanded deals with the cuts of peculiar meat you procure from the Wilds.

Media.

Updates.
23/04/18 - Update 1:Movement polish and inklings of combat. Read here!
   26/04/18 - Update 1.1 (I guess Tongue): More movement. Read here!
   30/04/18 - Update 1.2 Movement is good, going back to the sprite. Read here!
  05/05/18 - Update 1.3: Hitboxes! Some art! A new editor. Read here!

Full disclosure: my last username was rbargholz, I changed the username to create a fresh start for myself.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:44:49 PM by takadai » Logged

Dungeon Chef - Play as a towns-person by day and help your town recover from a storm, fight monsters by night!
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:32:38 AM »

Update 1: Movement polish and inklings of combat.

Got some good progress going at the moment, apart from boring stuff like making sure the player doesn't stick to the roof when jumping and understanding the finer points of collision detection, I've got some tight feeling controls, with dashing, jumping and movement feeling responsive.

As an inaugural update, it's not juicy with details or beautiful animations, but I'm building a toy straight off, and I want to have good foundations to start off with.

Seen below is an enemy I've been working on for some time, a baby Forest Ent. One of the first foes players might come across when they start their forays into the Wilds.

Forest Ents have some tricks up their sleeves to deceive unwary travellers or merchants...

And for combat - I've built a system whereby you have to sheathe/unsheathe whatever weapon you have equipped in order to use it, which creates some interesting mid-air transitions:

The weapon above falls into the Foil weapon type. More weapon types are to be expected. I'm envisaging Axes, Chains and Hooks to exist somewhere down the line.

Also in the future I'm planning more flashy unsheathe animations, but as stated above - this is a toy at the moment. It's got to feel nice.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:16:19 PM by takadai » Logged

Dungeon Chef - Play as a towns-person by day and help your town recover from a storm, fight monsters by night!
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »

Update 1.1 (I guess Tongue): More movement
More of a mini-update. I've got Foil transitions for all current states, so at any point, the player can sheathe/unsheathe their weapon to get a quick drop on a mob in the Wilds.

Next up, attacks and hitbox shenanigans.  Smiley Thanks for following the development of Dungeon Chef.

takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:30:09 PM »

Update 1.2: Movement is good, going back to the sprite.
So movement is good, it feels nice, there are two types of dash, depending on how long you hold the button down for (now on gamepads as well as M+KB)!

If you just tap the dash button, you do a "traditional" air dash (as traditional as air dashes can be  Cheesy)

But if you're intent on a big dash, notice the hang at the end? That allows you to just reach the spot you wanted to land, making a super satisfying landing right on the edge of some big gaps.

And now for the sprite, I'm always tweaking and revising sprites, but before I go into more spritework, I want a good base to work with for the main character. He's grown real legs! Ta-da...
New work on the left, old sprite on the right. I'm gonna start working on bringing all current animations up to speed with the left-hand sprite til the next update, so it could be up to a week away. I'll put this WIP left-hand side new sprite up on the top post too.

EDIT: This used to be the case, but I've reverted to old style with the more stylised legs.

Thanks for following the development of Dungeon Chef.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:31:11 AM by takadai » Logged

GoodyPundit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 06:37:06 AM »

Wow, this looks good takadai!  Grin
Can't wait for the "chef" feature to blend in  Grin

Join the Discord channel : https://discord.gg/fXqHbQQvnc
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »

Wow, this looks good takadai!  Grin
Can't wait for the "chef" feature to blend in  Grin

Thanks so much! Please look forward to more updates.  Smiley The current aim for me is to create a vertical slice of the game containing the main gameplay loop of go out into the Wilds, kill a monster, take the cut of meat and return to the Inn where it can be sold to your accomplice as "steak". The townspeople are used to beef or chicken, but life is hard at the moment after the storm.

GoodyPundit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 03:18:43 AM »

With the features you just mentioned, it'll be quite unique game for sure  Wink

Join the Discord channel : https://discord.gg/fXqHbQQvnc
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 11:42:12 PM »

Update 1.3: Hitboxes! Some art! A new editor.
Howdy folks. Back at ya with another snippet of development for Dungeon Chef. Hitboxes are in the game! I'm currently building the system that the hitboxes interact with, a Mob Index. My plan for the mob index is - when the level loads, the Mob Index is filled with the list of mobs that inhabit that level, registering their id, a UUID generated when the mob spawns, and its corresponding hit bool. When the hitbox overlaps a Mob, the hitbox checks the Mob Index to see the Mob it "tagged", and then set that Mob's hit bool to true. Then callbacks work on the Mob class to say what happens when it registers itself as being hit.

I've been doing bug fixes and adding new variables, tweaking old ones. I also moved from Pyxel Edit to Aseprite, because Pyxel Edit has had awful memory leak issues which make it very hard to get any pixel work done at all. From the gif above, you can see some tiles! I've been working on some flavour. None of these are set in stone of course, but I like how the forest ground tile worked out. Tell me what you think!

Thanks for following the development of Dungeon Chef.  Smiley

R3d
Level 0

TWAT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »

Int'resting  Smiley
I shall definitely follow this project, since I'll start my next year when I'm finish with my current job

oh, hi there
takadai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »

Int'resting  Smiley
I shall definitely follow this project, since I'll start my next year when I'm finish with my current job

Please follow the development of Dungeon Chef and look forward to more updates! I'm working on it every day.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic