Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 07:49:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWorld Remade
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: World Remade  (Read 7281 times)
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:47 AM »

For some reason I love the environment ZEL Tree

(For some reason because it's very simple, but I think you got the colors right)

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 06:18:23 AM »

SHOOT A TREE

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »

Looking pretty good.
Can't wait to see what you can do with this

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 05:45:20 AM »

I've been thinking about the gameplay lately and decided to use relatively small maps instead of unlimited game world. Now I have pretty good vision about what I'm going to do.

First of all I've improved my map generation a bit.

Here is how it's done.

1. First layer of simplex noise (frequency = 4 )
2. Second layer of simplex noise (frequency = 8 )
3. Third layer of simplex noise (frequency = 14 )
4. Circular gradient added
5. Circular mask added
5. Unreachable areas are cleared out using regular flood fill

All those steps are stored in xml file which makes it extremely easy to modify.

Working on a game Dwarf Block (DevLog)
Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »

This game looks amazing. I'm so jealous.

Loving the pixel art and animation and really impressed by the technical aspects this game shows (proc gen, masking tech)
Can't wait to see more. Going to be following this hard.

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 02:26:05 AM »

Hey this game looks awesome. /genericcomment
I don't think you should change the pixel art style to the smooth one...unless you could have an option to use either!

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 06:23:45 AM »

I like the masking effect - very cool!  What's the control scheme?  The movement makes it looks like a handheld controller, is it also playable with a keyboard/mouse?

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:13 AM »

Here comes the second part of my map generation experimentations.

This time I wanted to generate more linear maps, for side quests. So I took a different approach.

1. The map is divided into smaller squares.
2. Some adjacent squares are connected (without creating a loop).
3. A random position is calculated inside every square.
4. A line is drawn between connected squares.
(At this stage I have basic path ready and I can start image processing)

5. The map is blurred using boxblur. (it makes minimal passable path, thats also saved for later use)
6. The map is blurred even more.
7. Some layers of simplex noise is added.
8. Minimal passable path made at step 5 is added.
9. Unreachable areas are cleared out.
DONE!

Previous pictures are threshold results of the map, actual steps are performed on 2D array of floats.

Hey this game looks awesome. /genericcomment
I don't think you should change the pixel art style to the smooth one...unless you could have an option to use either!
Yeah, I like the idea of adding option to change graphic style. But the fancier graphics will be one of the last thing I'm going to do.

I like the masking effect - very cool!  What's the control scheme?  The movement makes it looks like a handheld controller, is it also playable with a keyboard/mouse?
It's actually keyboard/mouse only right now but controller support should be really easy to add. I haven't made keyboard remapping yet but it's mandatory feature in nowadays game.

Gear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »

Wait, where does step 6 get used?
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »

Wait, where does step 6 get used?

Well step 6 is used as base of step 7. On step 7 two layers of simplex noise are applied to the blurred image. It results more higer noise values near the path (you can see it when you watch image 7 closely).

Those pictures are all thresholded - actual operations are performed on 2D array of floats (similar to grayscale image).

Gear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »

Ah, okay.
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 02:20:29 AM »

New gameplay gif with improved enemy AI:

Now I'm making some experimentations with 3D, let's hope it works.

Will Huxtable
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »

Well, I must say, this certainly looks amazing! The art style looks awesome, and the world generation is rather interesting - the enemy AI seems good too.

I apologize if you have said previously, are you considering greenlighting/otherwise selling this? I for one would buy it.

I'll definitely be checking back here in the future.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »

Looks quite nice so far, the only thing that bothers me is the inconsistency of the outlines. The UI has a colored outline, most stuff in-game has a black outline, the player/healthbars have no outline. Plus some outlines (particularly the rock golem guys) extend diagonally while most others do not. I think one consistent technique would look even better.
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »

Lately I have been busy developing teleportation system for the game. It turned out to be quite difficult:
1. First Player who steps over the teleportation stone activates it.
2. When all players are close to that teleportation stone, message "Press E to teleport." is displayed above each player's head.
3. If someone presses "E", all players are teleported to the new map.

This is where the magic happens, the game server synchronizes teleportation action, generates new map and sends it piece by piece to every player.
It definitely need some optimizations in the future, but I'm happy with the current result so far.

I also like new maps generated with second technique - they are looking pretty interesting when zoomed out.

Well, I must say, this certainly looks amazing! The art style looks awesome, and the world generation is rather interesting - the enemy AI seems good too.

I apologize if you have said previously, are you considering greenlighting/otherwise selling this? I for one would buy it.

I'll definitely be checking back here in the future.
Thank you. At the moment my game is in really early alpha and I have to create a lot more content(gameplay) before it's fully enjoyable. When it's time I'm going to put it to Steam greenlight, but before that I'm going to make a badass trailer Smiley

Looks quite nice so far, the only thing that bothers me is the inconsistency of the outlines. The UI has a colored outline, most stuff in-game has a black outline, the player/healthbars have no outline. Plus some outlines (particularly the rock golem guys) extend diagonally while most others do not. I think one consistent technique would look even better.
You're right. It's not my first priority right now, but I'll fix it.

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 06:13:03 AM »

I haven't made a lot of progress recently. Instead I've been looking for people who could help me later.
I would like to try crowdfunding when the core gameplay is done. It still needs a couple of months of work before I'll get there, but I'm already making preparations.

Here is a picture about ingame night. It's not perfect but I like the colors. (Those plants are emitting light right now)

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 04:47:01 AM »

New items can be equipped!

Savick
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 05:37:09 AM »

A custom mouse cursor and tooltips for the items would look nice, but this already looks super nice!
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 06:44:54 AM »

Yo the black outlines are giving me a headache. Game could look like, 6 trillion times better without them. Animations are gr8, cool automatic masking stuff.

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 04:24:01 AM »

Yo the black outlines are giving me a headache. Game could look like, 6 trillion times better without them. Animations are gr8, cool automatic masking stuff.
Well I considered you might be right. And actually you aren't the first one who says that.
So I did a little experiment and wrote an image preprocessor that turns those black edges into much softer ones.
Here is the result, and I have to say that I like it:

A custom mouse cursor and tooltips for the items would look nice, but this already looks super nice!
Yeah, I'll add those sometimes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic