Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 08:02:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCoin Crypt - lootmancing roguelike/cardgame, now on Early Access!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Coin Crypt - lootmancing roguelike/cardgame, now on Early Access!  (Read 10446 times)
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »

Awright, set up an official Devlog and Twitter. I guess I ought to move this to the devlog forum as well since that's really more how I want to run this. Any idea who I should get in touch with to do that?

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

wooow , the concept is amazing  Crazy

bug ... When taking loot from chest , and when a battler gets you , it freezes
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:04:30 PM by Whiteclaws » Logged
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »

Very cool. Some suggestions

* Slow down the game just a bit at the coin-holding stage. Having trouble keeping track of what coin does what
* have coins with the same effect have the same color (example: healing - gold, hit - silver, status - green, mixed - other colors)
* combo 3 coins of the same size with different effects / 3 coins with same effect in different sizes
* change chest size according to size of loot
* what does the hat/monocle/etc do?

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »

@Whiteclaws will work on fixing that!

Very cool. Some suggestions...
* Slow down the game just a bit at the coin-holding stage. Having trouble keeping track of what coin does what
The speed the game moves at is something I'm acutely aware of, and I'm still trying to find a nice sweet spot for these first few levels. I do think it's ok if it's a little fast, because once you know what you're doing, slower battles become trivially easy. I need to watch some new players, I think, and see how it works now since I've slowed it down from the original build.

* have coins with the same effect have the same color (example: healing - gold, hit - silver, status - green, mixed - other colors)
You'll notice when selecting and casting coins that there's a colored ring which does just this--red for damage, green for healing, blue for status. I'd rather keep the effect color coding in the sort of meta-level, and give myself more freedom with how the coins look (they still tend to stick to certain rules, with healing coins usually being greenish, and that sort of thing).

* combo 3 coins of the same size with different effects / 3 coins with same effect in different sizes
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this?

* change chest size according to size of loot
Great idea! I implemented this. This will be in next time I update.

* what does the hat/monocle/etc do?
Another upcoming change is that items in the shop now tell you what they actually do. The monocle speeds up the time it takes to draw a new hand; hats boost your casting speed.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 04:08:02 AM »

I mean, if you have Hit 3, Hit 5 and Hit 10 in your hand, they'd combine. Also, for example, Hit 5, Heal 5 and Shield 5.

One idea for a temporary status effect: Snatch (acquires coins after they're used by the enemy)

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

Maybe there should be some floors with an area to trade and manage coins. That'd be a good place i feel for people to thoroughly analyze their coins and give them a chance to understand when they want one over another which'll teach them about the game quicker and such

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »

I mean, if you have Hit 3, Hit 5 and Hit 10 in your hand, they'd combine. Also, for example, Hit 5, Heal 5 and Shield 5.

One idea for a temporary status effect: Snatch (acquires coins after they're used by the enemy)
The fact that coins only stack with their particular type is important to the way the game works, I feel; it forces you to single out specific varieties to build your deck from. Plus, individual types have different rates of growth based on stacking, and reconciling that with mixed types would only get more vague. But it's an interesting idea. I may revisit it down the road if the game feels too saturated with varieties to reasonably focus on specifics.

The snatch idea is keen, though. Putting that on my list!

Maybe there should be some floors with an area to trade and manage coins. That'd be a good place i feel for people to thoroughly analyze their coins and give them a chance to understand when they want one over another which'll teach them about the game quicker and such
I've been posting a bit on the dev log with some new features, including objects and items tailored specifically for this. Most level features will involve some form of coin donation, I think, which gives you an opportunity to optimize your deck (or ignore those opportunities and stick with what you have).

antoniodamala
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »

This game is reaally cool, gonna play it again later to give you a better feedback. I also have been thinking about some coin mechanics but yours is best haha
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »

Wow, just by looking at this/watching the gameplay vid it looks really nice. Gonna try now!

antoniodamala
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »

First thoughts on game: Great. Loved the mechanics so far, the battle is great and having to consider to use coins versus collecting them is intriguing.

Some things i didn't like: you can't avoid battles, everything is too tight to try and do something; when you get to the chest you don't get everything, even though you are in for the coins (what would make sense was if you had a limit of coins to carry overall).

Those three things I think you will address it later but still a reminder: the dungeon is not interesting; lack of buyables and/or good reason to save money;  lack of inventory.

Ideas: Coins that do something to the map, like open up a route, makes the player faster,etc.
RetsamugA
Level 0

indie game developer agumaster-games.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »

really cool game, the gameplay hard to get, but catchy and addictive. Keep like this

world is full of invisible beautiful things
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »

For some reason I love the minimalistic level geometry, but don't like it when it comes to the characters.

Still, looking good!
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »

Those three things I think you will address it later but still a reminder: the dungeon is not interesting; lack of buyables and/or good reason to save money
Yup, this is the thing I'm focusing on most for now. I've added a few new level features (documented @ the game's tumblr) though I'm nervous it still isn't enough decoration over the pretty basic loop of collection and then battling. I'm also trying to not steal directly from the games that inspired this (wouldn't it be cool to have a chest that starts a boulder-chase sequence?? GAH).

Ideas: Coins that do something to the map, like open up a route, makes the player faster,etc
Ideas of this flavor have been kind of floating around, though I never thought of coins that could be used as "keys" (nice one!) I just want to be sure that coins like these don't muddy up the currently-interesting function of permanent, purchaseable item upgrades you get from shops. And that their precise function and interaction with the rest of the game is still clear, with the decreased focus on inventory management.

For some reason I love the minimalistic level geometry, but don't like it when it comes to the characters.
That's a shame! :/ Other have said they liked the characters. Honestly, I don't think there's much about the game that's terribly pretty, but I've been more focused on sticking to a particular style that's easier to work with, so I can put my efforts towards creating more quantity than quality. That's sort of the sacrifice I have to make to create a game like this without a dedicated artist.

I want to put up an update pretty soon with the new overworld stuff pretty soon. Just waiting to get some sound. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:55:12 AM by Banov » Logged

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »

Just updated the game! There's not much new content per se, it's mostly just new features and polishings within what's been there already. There are secret rooms and other level pieces, and it's possible to get at least 2 new coins (so you can get 22/20 (!!!)). A new shop item or two, with descriptions now, and more are reflected on the player's body when equipped.

Next time I do an update like this I want t have world 2 in there as well. There's just a big fat pile of content that needs to come with that to fill up a whole world, so it's not as easy as just leaving on what's done so far with it.

Have fun, keep mancin'!

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »

Updated the game yesterday with World 2! Smiley There's now 40 coins and 15 enemies, about double what was in before. Totally looking for any feedback I can get.

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 12:04:34 AM »

I updated the game again, changing a lot of stuff that made it hard to understand for newcomers. People who have never played the game before, I'm most interested to hear *YOUR* thoughts, if you're out there!

Chuckek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »

Well here I am Smiley After long time of lurking I finally made an account here for this. Looks really fun! But unfortunately I'm getting an error in this version after jumping into the hole so I can't say much yet:

of Other Event: Room Start
for object oLevelGen:

DoSet :: Invalid comparison type
 at gml_Object_oLevelGen_Other_4 (line -1) - <unknown source line>
#################################

The tutorial worked fine, though it crashed at the end as well.
Gear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 02:15:14 AM »

@Chuckek
I got the same problem too.
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 07:22:08 AM »

GAH!  Crazy
Can you re-download and try now?
It has to do with the fact that my developer mode and the public builds load levels differently (which is also why I didn't catch it).

Chuckek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »

Okay, so I played this for a bit (working alright now) and here's what I think:

- first of all, the whole coin mechanic is really cool. At start it's indeed a little hard to tell what coin does what in a battle and I had to read descriptions and waste precious time, but I don't think it will be that much of a problem. All coins are shape- and color-coded nicely enough that after a while you use them instinctively, so good job there. Battles are definitely fun and the whole game already looks good.

- however the whole thing feels a little snowbally. Or rather, if you get in a bad situation it's kinda hard to get back on the track. Mainly when you lose all your damage coins there's not much you can do - no real way to fight anymore, and in chests you find too few damage coins to reciprocate your enemies (IF you even find any).

- further to this contributes the fact that later enemies have few coins with them. That was main issue for me - most of the time, fighting enemies doesn't really pay off. Especially in 2nd world, where foes often have only 2-3 coins. I don't know if that's the intention, but battles aren't profitable when you need to throw several coins to get 1 or 2 (and just maybe, because if you get a bad hand they will just ran out of coins and you wasted precious damage). In such situations you can try and just defend or heal instead of wasting damage, but it isn't really fun and you still use up your coins without getting anything back. In 1st world there are encounters with foes that have ~9 coins and they feel good - you can go at them with all you've got and you still know that there will be a reward. But maybe I'm missing something. Still, it makes the player wanting to avoid the most fun element of the game, since he knows that whatever the result, it will most probably be overall loss for him.

- because of this I also found starting from world 2 rather hard, since battles are harder and less profitable and you don't start with more coins.

- I feel that stacks are a little too powerful for what's essentialy random mechanic. Not only can you play several coins in a single turn, but there is some bonus amplification on top of that. If you get a stack the battles are far easier; if not then you need to throw a lot of coins at tankier foes. And the more coins you have, the harder it gets to get them. I saw something in this thread about deck-building, but I didn't feel it's currently possible - no one wants to give up a chest of coins only for sake of maitaining unity in his bag Tongue And you can't choose drops from enemies anyway.

- as for bugs:
# a bandit got stuck between wall and a chest: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3hkcju9q48hi56/banditstuck.jpg I could still go and fight him though.
# sometimes a direction you're going in gets stuck and your character follows it until you bash arrows on keyboard or something. But it may be just because of minimizing game window.
# edit: oh, I have one more, I just used a stack of 2 stealing coins on gentleman that had only 2 coins left and the game froze. The music is still playing though ...even after i closed it.
# you can also go and give all your coins to one of these statues/whatever-it-is, the game then crashes.

- oooh, I just actually used one of these for the first time, since I thought they need a lot of coins to activate and i never had them. They exchange some of your coins for other? Well then that invalidates some of my earlier points ;p I will need to play some more then.

- I'm also not a huge fan of current lighting. And whole dungeon feels a little too claustrophobic.

Other than that, it is really cool game and I look forward to future updates. I probably forgot ton of things I wanted to say but whatever =p My main grips with it are just some balance issues, but I didn't know how these statues worked, so it may be actually not that bad.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:50:44 AM by Chuckek » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic