Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:47:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318765 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 25, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »

yooo                
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=621457374597965&set=o.488373877841581&type=1

andoyne cosplay

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 26, 2014, 07:31:51 PM »

hey punks im in cleveland but doesnt mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYWLUCxhKdk&feature=youtu.be

this is not how this works
it is fixed now

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 28, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »

Devlog Update N+1

Hello and welcome to this day's edition of the daily devlog update.

I was in Cleveland this weekend at the art museum there for a Van Gogh exhibit and a Japan+Modernism exhibition. The gist of the Van Gogh exhibit was looking at his sets of paintings which are sort of revisions of eachother: one finished painting leads to a new painting of the same thing. So the paintings look the same, but are different slightly.  

http://www.clevelandart.org/events/exhibitions/van-gogh-repetitions

This is an interesting idea for level design or music or whatever really, I wonder how it would work with games. It's not *revising* explicitly, but finishing something that you consider to be releasable, then re-doing it again later , with slight changes, not to make the original better, but to go in a slightly different direction for different effect.

I don't think I'll use this technique a lot in development for the sake of time but having it in mind might help. It's a neat idea for music composition as well with older songs.

The Japan exhibit was nice in looking at how the West influenced Japan in the pre-war period (late 1800s-early 1900s) (and vice-versa) , how Japan looked back into tradition for their art around then...it gets me thinking about games, or the process of creating (for the record I think the word 'create' isn't a good one, it means too many things).

With creating there's a combination of looking back on old games and taking parts of it as the best ideas for design, listening to contemporaries/being influenced by them, or looking forward yourself and trying to ignore the other stuff...finding the right balance is hard. Can be risky.

So that wasn't really a devlog update, but maybe it is because what I do outside of the game influences what I do with the game. So.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 29, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »

Devlog Update 20140429

Jon and I did a podcast yesterday.

We've been finishing up the first two sets of gauntlets too.

I'm working on nature area right now.

This is vague...sorry.

We decided stuff about late-game stuff too, that we think will help make the game end nicely.

play hydlide 2
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1044 on: April 29, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

Very interesting. Van Gogh's paintings individually are nice, but taken together they bounce off of each other - otherwise, I don't think I would really have noticed any differences (i.e. if I visited two different museums from day to day and saw two different versions).

I think there is something to be found in looking into other mediums to learn about building up your skills for your own craft. Taking a central idea or even area and repainting it in different moods and situations could be applied to a lot of game mechanics (random level generation, for example).

Keep on trucking, man!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 30, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »

Yeah, if I did this with ETO levels I would probably Be Dead before finishing the game, but I suppose it might be fun to do on a smaller scale. hm.

The small changes are interesting. I feel like painting and level design work nicely with the repetitions idea because they can take a similar length. music or writing could too, but the noticing the differences is not as fast or easy to discern since those aren't as visual.

DEVLOG UPDATE 20140430

We just finished the uh...can't tell you. sorry.

Let's see. Well, we managed to concretize the idea of the Gauntlet in a variety of ways in final-ish forms. there are some left to make but yes. okay cool.

I still have trouble talking about the game in person...well not really. I just feel like I can't do it really fast, because you can't explain it really fast...you need a few minutes to really explain it or it kinda sounds dumb. Oh well. I'm just not satisfied with giving explanations that don't capture the essence of the game? And speaking is a bad medium for explaining the game, because it's hard to remember everything.

Unrelated I'm really fond of looking at city infrastructure outskirts: construction yard storage spaces, electrical power plants, manufacturing plants, factories, refineries, etc. I like train rides because you pass by a lot of it, and it goes between those and small suburbs, small towns, preserved natural areas, big cities. It's this passive observation activity, contrasted with working and moving around each day, and it's nice to sort of build connections and reminders of how everything is one big broken program (in a good way).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:50:15 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 01, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »

UPDATE 20140501

http://t.co/fJyy0fABXj

I'm sort of lazy to make a real post.

Oh wait, well. I'm eating too many of these Pillsbury All Natural Ingredients Cookies that I baked. There are 12 in a pack and I baked 6 today and have eaten 3.5, this is probably not good. But I try to eat spinach and stuff too to balance it out.

Watched a short documentary about Cleveland and the spread of suburban sprawl. It's interesting how body like and akin to cancer or slow-spreading diseases the rise of poverty/crime/urban decay in the core of cities is, and then how that spreads outwards as cities die, something special to america because people can keep expanding outwards and outwards (isolating themselves from the culture in big cities, I guess it's an opinion how to feel about that...). hm. will try to find the link.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 01, 2014, 06:49:34 PM »

Fancy Text

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 02, 2014, 07:25:07 AM »

bump

I took up painting yesterday. It's fun (And expensive, but I only spent $10 on what should last me a while). I'm painting things in response to areas from Even the Ocean right now. It's nice to be clueless mostly, because I'm pretty happy with whatever happens. Whereas with music, a lot gets thrown away and most of the time I just leave a track as "good enough" b/c I'm never perfectly happy with it

Anyways I'm gong to work on some music today then put together a sampler (like this one from 7 mos ago)

https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/works-in-progress-1-even-the?in=seagaia/sets/even-the-ocean-ost

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 02, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »

New sampler of music. 2.5 minutes of it, sampling 5 songs for your ears.

https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/even-the-ocean-sampler-2?in=seagaia/sets/even-the-ocean-ost

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: May 03, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »

新しいドット絵。どうぞ。

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 04, 2014, 08:46:15 AM »

finally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3oL9r_YLu4&feature=youtu.be

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 04, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »

don't be shy now people say hi this devlog is lonely

play hydlide 2
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1053 on: May 04, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »

Nice work on those text boxes. I still need to try out the motion demo, I might do that tonight.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 05, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »

eheheh

level designed today, worked on some dialogue, fixed up this dialogue box a bit. touched some music.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 06, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »

Ask us questions

ask.fm/kittakaj
ask.fm/eventheocean

------
Hey all, I am working on two blog posts

Failings of Anodyne, and moving onto Even the Ocean
- discusses many perceived failings from myself and players and the causes of them (whether or not they are actually true - more on what "true" means), and the ways Jon and I are looking to avoid such issues, and the problems inherent with avoiding those issues.

The World of Even the Ocean
(similar to http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/14/creating-the-world-of-hyper-light-drifter-on-ps4-and-ps-vita/) : discusses 3 interconnected layers to the game of mechanics, core narrative backbone + auxiliary narrative threads, and audiovisual aesthetics.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:26:56 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 07, 2014, 09:00:18 PM »

updates

today

decided on some stuff for a gauntlet area

worked on a SOUND EFFECT that is important
worked on a SONG THAT IS IMPOTRANT

prorammed ab unch of stuff

gonna
do some stuff
then go to sleep

goodbye

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 08, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »

http://tindeck.com/listen/otcu

piano's placeholder buuut

play hydlide 2
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: May 09, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »

Finally got around to playing the motion demo.
Most of the movement was pretty good and I got into the flow of the platforming for a few areas, but I think the amount of influence that purple energy has on wall-jumping can be a bit too powerful.

I had some issues entering a 1 square wide tunnels because of the horizontal force, and sliding up a wall and landing on a platform no longer worked, instead Aliph slides up, floats in midair and slides down again.

Also is the game going to have Vsync? I had a lot of screen tearing happen while playing.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 09, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »

oshin bux

http://t.co/0gVh0YDyxI

Thanks Jono! I've been thinking of making the inner margin smaller and tuning the extremes just slightly. I believe I've fixed that after the demo version!

I don't notice the tearing anymore ?? How bad was the tearing ? The game is 30 FPS so maybe that has to do with it (60 FPS looks too smoooth...)

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic