Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 10:11:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450362 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4800 on: October 14, 2015, 05:02:54 AM »

Think it's great that you guys are keeping the last region to yourselves. Gives us all the opportunity to find something that we don't know anything about which is always a good thing in a game.

the problem is that im SO STOKED about the stuff going on in this region that its extremely hard to keep it locked up Ninja. no exaggeration that this region is next-level in quite a few ways.... and then we have an arguably even CRAZIER region after that which will also be kept secret! but as you say, i think the resulting player experience of being able to see these for the first time in-game, in context, with the right setup and music and vibe, will be totally worth not spoiling.

my apologies if the devlog gets boring as a result though
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:11:55 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: October 14, 2015, 01:13:08 PM »

Wait, I thought you were doing the final region? Are you adding more?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4802 on: October 14, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »

ah, easy to misunderstand! the region we are currently working on is the last region that the player will encounter, hence "the final region". But there is one more region for us to make after this one. We did them in this order for some technical reasons, as the other region will have some important visuals-heavy set-pieces, so we want to use this region as practice before getting there.

so yes, even more content! we are content crazy!

TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4803 on: October 14, 2015, 09:46:36 PM »

Looking at the devlog, I can't find a time they're not adding more..

The more I think about how much stuff there is in this, the more I'm amazed.. and the more I wanna play it!!

Take your time, though, it's clearly paying off.

- - - -
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4804 on: October 14, 2015, 10:06:06 PM »

The more I think about how much stuff there is in this, the more I'm amazed.. and the more I wanna play it!!

Actually I'm kind of shocked they somehow nailed the regions and such down enough to be working on the final ones :p

Man, what will my TIGSource browsing be without a Rain World devlog to look forward to...

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: October 14, 2015, 11:34:24 PM »

Actually I'm kind of shocked they somehow nailed the regions and such down enough to be working on the final ones :p

Man, what will my TIGSource browsing be without a Rain World devlog to look forward to...

Adding to that, who will win next year's Best/Fav Devlog awards???

But to answer your point: start your own devlog! :D Grin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:44:41 PM by Chris Early » Logged

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4806 on: October 15, 2015, 03:37:43 AM »

oh dont worry, we'll be here for a while yet im afraid  Cry

RainWorldIsAwesome
Level 0

Rain

View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: October 15, 2015, 06:28:24 AM »

Hey, speaking of pups. are there going to be more ways to defend the pups and or more ways to defend yourself and or make the pups a bit smarter since there is alot more to be worried about with the daddy long legs and these velociraptor birds. Maybe even have pups growth in stages where if they're fed well enough they gradually grow up with you becoming more independent, and or be able to defend themselves a bit better or follow you to the best of their ability.

As for long or short game i vote for long game.

Felius Limax
Venator Lacertae
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: October 15, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »

Update 488
Save states are coming together! It remembers what den you're in, what swarm rooms are depleted, and now also a bunch of stuff concerning the critters. Health state is saved, as well as den position. Just now I managed to write to and from text methods for the social memory. I spawned a jet fish in the horrible dry landscape of Suburban region, and pulled it with me to the den. When spawning on the next cycle, it still remembered it was angry with me!

This social memory doesn't have all that much use so far, which is mostly because I have yet to write some little engine that can recognize social events. A negative social event would be throwing a rock at a critter, a positive one might be feeding it or saving its life from a predator. Having the AI understand what's what will take some code that isn't in yet - for example it should be negative for you to throw a rock towards a critter unless you are hitting (or clearly aiming for) a vulture that is currently swooping down on it, in which case it should be positive. The jet fish get angry when you carry them which is very easy for the code to recognize, which is why that is in there already.

This code is nothing I'm too worried about though - it will be a day or so of work and will then be generally applicable on all creatures. What I was worried about was the saving of the social memories, and now that hurdle is cleared.

We don't yet know to what extent we want to work with this stuff, as it will probably only be noticeable to very advanced players. It would be a lot of fun though to slowly build up a friendship or an antagonistic relationship with some creature you often come by - that would be exactly the kind of emergent narrative we want to embrace!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: October 15, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »

Discrimination of target for social occurrence is a hard problem that isn't solve in real life, it's call awkward moment. So instead of clear cut judgement, maybe you should have a certainty factor? something that look at a series of events to create confidence. For example when the vulture swoop in and the rock hit it while close is a 50% confidence, it might put the critter into a state of looking for more evidence before deciding if friend or foe. That's like any animations ever, where the hero meet someone, save him and the person goes to hide to observe at a distance, verifyiong if friend or foe and the hero does calming movement to show he's safe, and the the person slowly crawl toward the hero, before being happy he is noit a foe. If you pull situation like that in this game, and the player recognize it, you will be a gaming hero when player will notice, be sure to put a scene like that in a trailer.

plauk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4810 on: October 15, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »

It would be a lot of fun though to slowly build up a friendship or an antagonistic relationship with some creature you often come by - that would be exactly the kind of emergent narrative we want to embrace!

Yep yep yep!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4811 on: October 15, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »

From Del: "backgrounds and things.... soon to contain cats and lizards! @RainWorldGame #wip #gameart"

https://twitter.com/miimows/status/654835748164603904

This WIP is *spot on* Chimney Canopy! And i know that room, its CC_A08! Even specific tile work is there! Speaking as the person who made that room, i could not be happier. Tears of Joy

Since Joar and I are busy with... well, everything... we've asked her to just go wild for a bit and spend some time getting style ideas down, trying out concepts, etc. Considering this is her first proper attempt and its already awesome, im pretty dang excited to see how things develop from here. Ill post a follow up when she finishes it, ofc.

Saijin_Naib
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: October 15, 2015, 10:39:02 PM »

The social memory concept sounds absolutely phenomenal.

Will the engine allow for inter-creature/inter-species events outside of what SlugCat causes?

I'd love to see the ecosystem come alive with infighting, etc.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: October 16, 2015, 05:19:13 AM »

WOW. That concept art is straight outta the game. Amazing.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: October 16, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »

Yeah. So stoked.  Who, Me?

In other news, after messing with the save states for a bit I will be diving back into some  Wizardlast region secret stuff Wizard so I'm sorry to say you'll have to look forward to some more devlog silence. It's all for you though, when you're actually playing we want to have stuff in there you weren't prepared for that can send your jaw to the floor. Thanks for your patience!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4815 on: October 16, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »

Yeah. So stoked.  Who, Me?

In other news, after messing with the save states for a bit I will be diving back into some  Wizardlast region secret stuff Wizard so I'm sorry to say you'll have to look forward to some more devlog silence. It's all for you though, when you're actually playing we want to have stuff in there you weren't prepared for that can send your jaw to the floor. Thanks for your patience!
See, this is when having the alpha helps lessen the pain of devlog silence Tongue

No, but seriously, keeping stuff secret is great. I can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: October 20, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »

Update 489

A secret creature is implemented! This one is specific for the last region, and I'd like it to not reach you guys before you're actually playing (and playing and playing and playing, until you get to that area), so you have something to be excited for! The only thing I will say is that it is certainly among the more visually complex creatures of the game so far. Took me about 4 days all in all, and feels like a cool investment.
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: October 20, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »

Something I would like to suggest. So, I have been playing, and maybe it is just me, but I kinda liked the low fps/jerkiness of the early alpha, (or at least I think I would, based on the footage I have seen). This may not be everyone, but the slugcat's movement doesn't feel very animal, if you know what I mean. I tested this theory out with an fps limiter, and while visually it wasn't a huge improvement, it felt better somehow. Maybe you know what I am talking about. Or maybe those little visual details, like it scrambling to get up a ledge to a platform, (in that slugcat life video I think). It lasted less than a second, but it is little details like that I am talking about. All of this is freaking amazing, don't get me wrong, but remember the little details too... Speaking of which, what about the shelters? I remember that alpha video with the pups, where it was those huge industrial doors. Someone earlier brought this up, saying how the current one looks like it was specifically designed for the slugcat. Maybe have some big ones, with little nooks and crannies inside to sleep in?

TL:DR where are all those things from the alpha videos?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4818 on: October 20, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »

i know i keep cryptically hyping things and its probably annoying, but O M G the stuff joar has got going on right now is *unreal*

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: October 20, 2015, 05:16:20 PM »

switch to unreal engine confirmed

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic