Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:34:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDJ Dyllusion: Quest For Funk
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DJ Dyllusion: Quest For Funk  (Read 465 times)
nimbusstev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »

DJ Dyllusion: Quest For Funk is a 2D platformer about a rather unsuccessful radio host named DJ Dyllusion.

Faced with a declining listener base, the higher-ups give him an ultimatum: Ditch the soul-filled funky jams for modern pop music, or shut down the station. Just as Dyll is about to throw in the towel, he receives a gift from one of his dedicated fans - a mysterious "Funk Machine" that instantly turns people into listeners.

With this secret weapon in hand, Dyll sets out on a quest to spread the Funk and save his radio station from the impending doom that is pop music. The Funk Machine only stays charged for a short while though, so you need to convert as many listeners as you can before time runs out.

Gameplay:
The gameplay in Quest For Funk is composed of two different segments: a Twinstick Shooter phase and a 2D Platformer phase. Each individual level has one of each type of segment, so you'll be alternating between the two different stages as you progress through the game.

Stage 1: Twinstick Shooter.
This is the part where Dyll is charging up the Funk Machine. As he is strapped into the machine, the stage plays out in a sort of dream-like state. Backgrounds will be psychedelic patterns that move in a way reminiscent of an MP3 visualizer.

This stage plays like an old arcade game. You move the character with the left stick, and rotate him around with the right stick. Bullets are fired automatically when the right stick is in a non-neutral position, so you can think of this as a sort of 'Bullet-Hell' type of game. Enemies will fly on screen from all directions and you get points for each one you destroy. Your score in Stage 1 will ultimately determine a number of factors in Stage 2.

Stage 2: 2D Platformer.
Once Dyll's Funk Machine is charged, he heads out to convert NPCs into listeners. As this stage progresses, his Funk Meter continuously drains. This is represented by a music bar playing a song. The length of the song (and the amount of Funk that Dyll can use) is determined by your score in Stage 1. Once the song ends, the game is over, so a poor outing in Stage 1 can hurt your chances of finishing Stage 2. Various things in the level can fast-forward or rewind the song as well, so that becomes a major factor in the gameplay.

The ultimate goal of Stage 2 is to find all of the hidden NPCs in the level and use your Funk power on them. Some NPCs will run away, and some may even try to fight back, so you'll have to approach them carefully.

Control Methods:
The game is being developed in Unity using C#, so this gives me the freedom to allow many different input modes. For just about all segments of the game so far, I have 3 input methods working correctly: Controller, Mouse&Keyboard, and Touchscreen. (The touchscreen controls are still a little buggy, but they're in there!)

Quest For Funk - Touchscreen Test on YouTube

Current State of the Game:
Right now, I'm hard at work on the prototype of the first level. I'm working towards a single iteration of a Stage 1 and Stage 2 segment of gameplay for this prototype. Obviously there will be more than just one level, but I want to get a solid and finished single level before moving on. Right now the art is just about finished for Stage 2 of the prototype, but Stage 1 still has a lot of stand-ins. The core gameplay mechanics are nearly finished, so from this point on the bulk of the work comes in level design and polishing artwork.

I will be attending GDC next week, so my goal is to have a playable version of the prototype on-hand to show to anyone that's interested. I'm looking to be on track for that milestone, so I'm fairly proud of the progress I've made so far.

Target Platforms:
I'm creating this primarily as a PC game for Windows. I want to make the game accessible to as many people as possible, but PC is my #1 focus. Ideally, I'd like to release on Steam, Humble Store, GOG, and Desura, but that all depends on how much traction I can build between now and release. The prototype is also functioning on Android right now, so I'd like to release to the Google Play Store and possibly the Ouya as well.

Release Date?
It's still too early to tell, so I don't want to commit to anything just yet. In my mind I'm expecting to release near the end of 2014, but it really depends on a number of factors.

More Info:
I've been keeping up a small development blog at QuestForFunk.com so feel free to check that out for more detailed updates. I'm hoping to release a playable version of the prototype some time in the near future. But in the meantime, I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you might have on the concept. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this!

Official Website and Dev Blog - IndieDB Page - My Twitter Account

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic