Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 02:09:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Restart - Space TBS Adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Restart - Space TBS Adventure  (Read 552 times)
DigitalCantina
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »

Hey everyone,

This is the devblog for my first game Project Restart. Its a space Turn Based Strategy with a few bits of Oregon Trail style adventure. I'm fairly early in development, currently I have the high level flow of the game mapped out as well as an excel sheet listing resources and actors.

The Game

Project Restart sets you out as a fleet of ships tasked with finding new planets to colonize. The game starts you select the difficulty and then a map and asks you to select your first destination. You will be hoping from system to system trying to find a habitable planet. When the fleet arrives at its destination, you will either be presented with an event card ie: Oregon Trail - "your fleets food producer has blown its ion core. -resources"
OR the fleet will randomly run into enemy fleets. This starts the battle section of the game, which is further down. If you win the battle section you are taken back to the event screen and are given the option to repair the fleet, flagship, scan the planet in system (if there is one) and send scouts ahead to add choices to your next destination. Once you pick your next destination, the next round begins. This continues till either the player finds a habitable planet or they run out of resources.

The Battle Room
The goal of this section is to destroy the enemy players flagship. If you destroy the enemy squadrons, you receive supplies but the battle doesn't end till the flagship is destroyed. The player also has a flee option that is usable once every x time and has the downside of not being able to pick your destination. The battle field consists of a tiled board with X,Y,Z coordinates in space where the actors will move and fight.

The Actors:
     Citizen Fleet
     Flagship and its ships
     Enemy fleet and its ships

Before the battle starts the player sets his turn roster of his ships he got at the start of the game. Next the player has the option of placing his actors on the board within a range. In order to create fighters, the player must draw from the citizen fleet for resources. Each of the 3 types of Ship costs different resources and has different attributes.

Ship Types:
     Scout - Fast, Low Health, Low Damage, Low Cost, Long Range
     Fighter - Med, Med Health, Med Damage, Med Cost, Med Range
     Bomber - Slow, High Health, High Damage, High Cost, Short Range

Once the player sets his actors on the board the player starts the battle and his first squad of ships turn begins. Each turn, the player has the option of moving a zip in any direction but  within its "speed limit" of tile moves. The player can also activate that ship types special ability as well as skipping its turn. Once the players turn is over the enemy fleets turn begins. After the AIs turn is over, the next squad in the players roster is up and this continues until the enemy and player ships are within firing range of each other. If either the enemy or players squadrons are in range of the flagship, they have the option of dealing damage to end the battle. If the enemies flagship is destroyed the player wins a large sum of resources. If the player loses, the game ends.

I dont have any art yet as I feel its more important to get the game playable and fun as quickly as possible and worry about the art when it matters. If anyone has any questions or crtits please feel free to let me know, Im open for improvements.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:50:47 PM by DigitalCantina » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic