Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 07:45:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGM programmer found for retro lite Roguelike (Screens)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: GM programmer found for retro lite Roguelike (Screens)  (Read 8424 times)
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »

Game maker has been proven to be a good tool for games, but it still doesn't feel as awesome as "real" programming does, when done right, at least for me. Also, I somewhat agree that you creating the game yourself would be the best idea. I mean, GM is designed to let people without the time/energy to learn a fully fledged programming language only learn things needed for making games, and fast. Also, I made games in it when I was around 14 (albeit not the greatest ones Smiley ) but I found it to be pretty easy overall back then.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »

I don't see why one should code under game maker instead of learning REAL C++, and code for real...

Would you learn to juggle fifty blades in order to strike but a single blow?

No.  In the time it takes you to master that skill all of your enemies will have fled.

Ninja Hand Knife Right

tweet tweet @j_younger
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »

I don't see why one should code under game maker instead of learning REAL C++, and code for real using a simple media library like SFML...

Now i just want an answer of Prez. I'm like to make a roguelike, as long as the work is not one sided(not so bad arts)

I wanted to reply to this, but then I realised it must be someone trolling for fun...

☠️
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »

Well, I found a programmer as excited to explore this idea as I am and little by little things are beginning to take shape. We're both dedicated to bringing as fun, unique and stylized a game as we can to as wide an audience as possible. Any questions?

Thanks for your support!
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 11:38:19 PM »

I don't see why one should code under game maker instead of learning REAL C++, and code for real...

Would you learn to juggle fifty blades in order to strike but a single blow?

No.  In the time it takes you to master that skill all of your enemies will have fled.

Ninja Hand Knife Right

But think of how much you could charge to let people see that feat! haha

Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »

I don't see why one should code under game maker instead of learning REAL C++, and code for real using a simple media library like SFML...

Well then why dont you go and learn REAL assembly :|...
I understand what you mean about Game Maker, as I use Java and it is a bit depressing to see some kids pulling out a game just like yours with no skills or experience but what you have to realize is that MANY people here a brilliant game designers and focus on making deep, interesting, fun games and do not want to be coders, and want to focus on gameplay.

Game Maker is not killing software because those kids making those stupid little games get washed away and those guys using Game Maker to pump out excellent games would have made a brilliant game no matter what language they used, its just the time frame would be different, they dont want to worry about building a framework, they want to worry about how to make their game fun, and whichever path someone chooses is good for them, dont ride someone just because they dont use REAL C++.

Btw the screenshots look really nice, good luck on your project!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:14:46 PM by Swattkidd » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic