Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411701 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 19, 2024, 02:06:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallChunkadelic - Seizure Warning!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chunkadelic - Seizure Warning!  (Read 1084 times)
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

Made in collaboration with Noel Berry for the Full Indie 48-hour game jam!

The game was made in just two days, and features nine games in one! Described accurately by John Polson as, "A love letter to retro games," (as if we don't have enough of those *ROLLS EYES*) Chunkadelic was mine and Noel's effort to make as fun, polished, and jam-packed game jam game as we could in a short amount of time.

Sound effects are by Kevin Regamey.
The awesome music (used with permission) is by Rymdkraft, so if you like the tunes, go buy the album on iTunes!

WARNING: If you are prone to seizures, do not play this game, or any of my games, in fact.

PLAY IT AT KONGREGATE
PLAY IT AT CHEVYRAY.COM

I apologize in advance to your retinas.

poe
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »

Enjoyed it. Really confused at the maze money game, but other than that everything felt self-explanatory.
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »

Yeah maze money game is a shout-out to roguelikes. You're the (arguably) @-shaped symbol, and have to collect all the $ to win. The E are like Enemy or Elemental or something, they could stand to look a little more enemy-like I think.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »

Took me a while to figure out the controls in the platformer game where you have to jump over the pipes. I think on-screen instructions (even minimal warioware style ones) would help.

Nice game otherwise though. Cool music and visuals.
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »

Ah, that one seems to be recurring. It's odd, many non-gamers seem to figure it out instantly, I wonder why some people seem to have such a hard time figuring it out.

Anyways, will probably update it as some point with some alternating <- and -> icons to get the idea across. Thanks for the feedback.
TadeuBAS
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:55:13 PM »

I don't think the game needs any explanation, this is a mistake in the flash industry, explain every little detail of the game.

The controls are the keys! try to move yourself, think a little...

brettchalupa
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »

Was this inspired at all by the

? The game has an incredible amount of polish, especially for so many different games packed in. It is border-line over polish, but I totally get that's the style you and Noel were going for. I really enjoyed playing through it, and every time the music came in I just got really excited/pumped.

I totally loved the rolling-boss fight. Reminded me of Mega Man. Grin
ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »

Nah not at all, look at my previous games (Flee Buster, or Noggins), Petri and Martin just slapped a buzzword onto a thing tons of devs already do.

Megaman boss fight is definitely my fav.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 06:12:29 AM »

Pretty fun. It took me a little bit to figure out the pipe jumper too. The only thing I would've changed design-wise for that is to maybe let the first time they hit -> make them move forward a step. it's very counterintuitive to press <- to start going right.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:50:12 AM by paste » Logged

ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 06:13:54 AM »

:O I could've sworn I made it start with the right. Will double check that.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »

As interesting as the style is, I've already played all of these games before and aside from the platformer they don't seem to do anything different from their original (okay, Moon Patrol finally had non-shitty controls).

The platformer part was the only one I couldn't put my finger on what the inspiration for it was. The controls reminded me of various Commodore 64 games, but the level seemed more Mario-like. Is it just a mix between the 'left-right-left-right to run' control scheme and Mario, or is it a reference to some game I don't know?
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »

Just finished it and feeling very happy Smiley

Nice work!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic