Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411682 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 05:08:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMOOSE14's Dev Log
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MOOSE14's Dev Log  (Read 370 times)
MOOSE14
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:37:43 AM »

I'm new to TIG Source but I've been around game development for several years now. I released a tiny iOS game made in Flash about 4 years ago and have since then learned Game Maker and produced several prototypes of 2D games. Once I get past the exciting early build of the game to the part where the game goes past proof-of-concept I have trouble seeing the game as something worth completing.

I eventually get to a point where the game seems like it could only every be a toy and not something that I would want to spend hours playing.

So I'm here to share a few of the prototypes I've made and the general idea behind them to get some feedback. I'd like to pick one of these and try to press on into the content-building phase of development and see where that takes me. I'll also probably share some about myself along the way...

Here are 4 prototypes from very early concept up to weeks of spare-time development. Let me know what you think of the ideas! Happy to be here and I look forward to learning a lot!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:40:14 AM by MOOSE14 » Logged
MOOSE14
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »

I threw this together after watching the latest Alien movie. The idea is something like the game "Sir, You are Being Hunted" but top-down 2D and with all darkness except what your flashlight sees. My initial thought is there would be 4 enemies searching for you and you have to navigate around a procedurally generated map to find traps and construct weapons to eventually defeat the 4 enemies. The environment would be fairly bare and the development focus would be on making the enemies very smart so that the player has to think. There would be a sound aspect to the game where everything you do makes a sound, louder sounds can be hear from farther and if the enemy hears a sound, he'll come looking for you.

The prototype I've built is nothing more than a simple lighting engine I built one afternoon and is the most bare of my four prototypes.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:14:50 AM by MOOSE14 » Logged
MOOSE14
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »

This is one I started to try a project at a smaller scale. This is a turn-based heist game where you have to use your abilities to kill or sneak past guards and get to the loot. I would probably turn it into a real time game since I think the turn-based aspect didn't feel right.

The player is black and the guards are blue (red when alerted). The guards can see the red squares. The blue square around the player is the indicator of the sound the player has made walking or whistling and the distance the sound has traveled.

Towards the beginning you see the player go invisible to stay out of sight as the enemies walk right past him. Later, at the top left, he uses teleport to move through the wall past and then again to kill the guard. Finally on the last guard he is whistling to attract the guards attention before teleporting again behind him and grabbing the loot.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:22:28 AM by MOOSE14 » Logged
MOOSE14
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »

This is a bullet-hell shooter/platformer. Player is dodging constant incoming fire from the enemies while killing as many enemies as possible to retrieve the loot they drop and upgrade his weapons. Weapons would have randomized aspects (a la Diablo and Borderlands) and levels would conclude with hug bosses like in many bullet-hell shooters.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:32:42 AM by MOOSE14 » Logged
MOOSE14
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »

Finally this is a real-time strategy with two unique features. The player only controls 3 tanks in his army, but each of the tanks can be upgraded and customized with the loot dropped from enemies and purchased from scrap. Each part on the tank can be moved on a grid to maximize it's usefulness (shields and armor along the edge of the tank, etc).

Pressing numbers 1, 2, or 3 selects the corresponding tank for quick switching and rapid issuing of orders.

While I've spent more time on this project than any of the others, to get this to a finished state would probably take way more time than I want to spend right now.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:39:13 AM by MOOSE14 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic