Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411684 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 09:25:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Island of Eternal Struggle - [Early Access - Turn Based RPG]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Island of Eternal Struggle - [Early Access - Turn Based RPG]  (Read 3045 times)
stevesefchick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »

Hello everyone!

My name is Steve, a developer for Wimbus Studios. We recently released our turn based RPG, The Island of Eternal Struggle, on Steam Early Access and I wanted to start a dedicated DevLog for a number of reasons.

The Island of Eternal Struggle - what even is it?

IES is a turn based RPG, built around a wacky array of job class mechanics, action command based combat, and a weird cast of characters. You'll play as the faceless soldier Ian, the holy woman Faye, the cyborg Faye, and the warrior Bera. Although it sounds like the start of a bad bar joke, as you learn about the tragic backstories of each of the characters, things start getting a little interesting.

The team wanted to make a good RPG but wanted to pour our bizarre sense of humor into it as well. We've been working on the game for over 3 years (we still aren't sure on the original start date. It's complicated.), have been to over a dozen different local gaming expos, and even ran a Kickstarter campaign for the project (which failed, but actually ended up working out for the best). It's been a journey.

The game is being built using Monogame.

So, why Early Access?

Why put a (mostly) linear turn based RPG on Early Access? Valid question. There's a few factors here. Primarily, we wanted to get out of the bubble that we were working within, and begin to share the game with people who were invested in its future. We wanted to get real feedback about what worked, what didn't work, and what others would like to see. We also wanted to push and motivate ourselves, and make this game not just so we hit our own milestones, but so that we don't let down those that play our game. Reach was also important, and the number of folks that we could reach on Early Access is significantly more than just hitting local Philly expos.

How far along is it?

Good question! It depends on what aspect of gameplay you focus on.

At the time of this writing, seven of the locations are available for play, not including the world map. Working, but not really ready yet (bugtesting, additional polish, updated dialogue, etc) are six additional locales. After that, we have about 8-10 locations to create, although we know what they are, and most mechanics have already been designed.

Switching over to mechanics, things are working (not perfect!), although we intent to shift design aspects based on player feedback. 8 of the 24 job classes are available for play right now, and the remaining 16 just need some polish and balancing and we'll toss em in game. The soundtrack is done, but many sound effects still need to be created.

Based on all of this, it's hard to give a percentage.

What's next?

We've got a game to make! Since EA launch is finished, we're recollecting our thoughts and determining our next focus of development. In the meantime, I'm working on hard on continually fixing, polishing, and fancying up the game as well. We have new areas to work on, old areas to improve, and other types of cool stuff to implement.

Thank you for reading! Looking forward to continue the DevLog strong on these forums!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/534240/The_Island_of_Eternal_Struggle/

Steve
Wimbus Studios
stevesefchick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:12:54 PM »

We received our first bug reports on Early Access! First of many, I'm sure.

Issues:
- Innkeeper dialogue oddness
- Not able to save when speaking with the save NPC

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/app/534240/discussions/0/1353742967806507367/

I was able to fix the Innkeeper issue relatively quickly but can't reproduce the save issue for the life of me. I asked the player to try a few things to see if we can get to the bottom of it. I tried removing all of my save files completely, loading a new game and saving from the same NPC and it occurred without error. Very odd. Continuing to look into it tomorrow and maybe through the weekend.

We're also planning our first patch with a few small fixes, likely tomorrow.
stevesefchick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »

New build went live a few minutes ago.

Updates:
- Fixed an issue where Faye was not displaying her "Weak" animation
- Fixed an issue where save files were not displaying the correct name of your location
- Fixed an issue with pausing and resuming music during Innkeeper sequences
- Fixed an issue where certain dialogue forks (including Innkeepers) resulted in weird behavior

Source:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/534240/announcements/detail/1324469570225691578

Next up:
- Lots of admin stuff, getting ready to prepare and post official roadmap
- Working on Steam integrations, like Cloud Saving and Achievements
- Preparing the groundwork for Release 0.2.0, which includes a small camp and the dungeon "The Uncanny Valley"
stevesefchick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:05:01 PM »

Current efforts:
- Working on Cloud Saving! Files are writing successfully to Steam, just having to pull down files is proving to be a little challenging/awkward
- Still putting together an official roadmap
- Getting ready for TooManyGames, a Philadelphia area expo, which is happening 6/23-6/25
stevesefchick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:23:35 PM »

Made some updates to Johnny, the Save Hobo. A few folks had some trouble finding where to save or how to save. So we made him a little more obvious.

Original:

That won't do at all, will it?

With new sprite:

Okay! Now for some animation. Flashy lights will do!

Too consistent....

Too spastic...

Too dark...

Just right!

So now the game shall be littered with save hobos with light up signs! This and a few other enhancements are coming with 0.1.8

stevesefchick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »

Release 0.1.8 went live on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/534240/announcements/detail/2633891887903403255

Updates:
- Cloud Saving enabled!
- Save Hobo updates!
- Lotsa SFX!
- Few bugs and random stuff!
Pages: [1]