Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411714 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:16:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 907499 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: June 19, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »

didnt the game get a lot of flak for not being "horror" enough?

i really don't care about that so maybe i'll pick it up in the steam sale going on atm

I am finding lately that most reviews seem to be overly jaded and I seem to have a lot of fun with games that are supposedly not so good.

honestly a game getting massive hype and great reviews is sort of a turnoff for me these days because there's an 80% chance that it's going to be AAA blockbuster fodder that i know i won't enjoy #truehipster
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: June 19, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »

btw i bought goat simulator

kill me pls
JWK5
« Reply #6942 on: June 19, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »

didnt the game get a lot of flak for not being "horror" enough?
It's actually kind of weird, it seems to get flak for not being "horror" enough, not being "action" enough, not being "Resident Evil" enough. Then there is the story is awful, the gameplay is awful, the blah blah blah is awful. It feels like people were just picking things at random to be mad about. Honestly, I can't remember a Resident Evil game that had good story, it has always been cheesy pseduo-action movie fare. About the only thing I agree with is the on-disc DLC crap, but then I bought it so far after the fact it doesn't really matter (that is, all the DLC came with it).

Apparently it is a bit Frankenstein-ish with the campaigns, with some being more "horror" than others, some being more "action" than others, etc. Leon's mission reeks of RE2 atmosphere-wise but gameplay-wise is a pretty fun rush the way it just swarms you with zombies and then sends cars crashing and trains zipping at you out of nowhere.

i really don't care about that so maybe i'll pick it up in the steam sale going on atm
You could do worse. If for nothing else than just to witness the sheer absurd craziness of it all it is worth it.

honestly a game getting massive hype and great reviews is sort of a turnoff for me these days because there's an 80% chance that it's going to be AAA blockbuster fodder that i know i won't enjoy #truehipster
Yeah, that is the the other problem I have. They say a game is crap and it turns out to be great, they say it is great and it turns out to be crap. I basically take the advice of reviewers in the same manner I take the advice of the weather forecast on the news: there's a 75% chance it will be the complete opposite (to be fair, the weather in WA is pretty bipolar).
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6943 on: June 19, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »

btw i bought goat simulator

kill me pls

I did too.
Too cheap to pass up, really...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: June 19, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »

RE5 was prime example of such mentality, although it may have something to do with the fact that its should be played only with a person you trust
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6945 on: June 19, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »

Sometimes some game are good if you forgot which franchise they belong to. Maybe you are having a blast because reputation lowered expectations.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: June 19, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »

Rip banjo nuts & bolts, one of the most misunderstood games ever.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: June 19, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »

don't worry xbox360 emulation has begun (and way more advence than the first xbox)

JWK5
« Reply #6948 on: June 19, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »

Sometimes some game are good if you forgot which franchise they belong to. Maybe you are having a blast because reputation lowered expectations.
I actually bought it before I read the reviews, I got it with RE5 as a package deal.

I don't care too much about franchises these days, I think my curiosity has overtaken what little semblance of fandom I had left that wasn't ruined by disillusionment that had set in with the onset of the "DLC era". I just buy games these days to try them more than I do to really play them through. If they hook me that's awesome and if they don't then that is okay, it was worth trying. It's like food, even when it tastes horrible you still have a possibly funny experience to relay.

We started on Ōkami tho I'm not the one playing. Second time I'm watching someone play this game without playing myself. :p At least I TRIED a few movements this time, tho. I don't think I touched the controller at all last time.
Okami is awesome if you can get through the eternity of backstory and dialog it traps you into during the very beginning of the game. I think the game's initial drag is what pushes most people away, once you break away from that and the game cuts you lose it really reminds me of exploring Hyrule Field in LoZ: Ocarina of Time, where you just kind of hit that Zen auto-pilot state and soak everything in as you dig for clues and things of interest.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:43:33 PM by JWK5 » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: June 19, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »

tbh i found okami kinda... bland i guess? the artwork and setting and etc are undisputably amazing but the actual gameplay is just meh. it's mega handholdy (even moreso than skyward sword probably), combat is kinda awkward and everything seems so unnecessarily drawn out.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: June 19, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »

I thought Okamiden was really handholdy. Okami proper though... I remember it being really handholdy up to a point and then going in the complete opposite direction.

Anyway been playing XIIZeal and Devil Children: Black Book a lot.

*REALLY* enjoying XIIZeal so far. I almost feel like the main game's the score attack you unlock by doing arcade mode though. You can freely suicide in score attack mode which means you have access to more bombs which means, uh, you can do scoring stuff with the black hole bombs you can't really do in arcade mode because I don't think you get extends. Kinda wish I got the 360 version with G-Stream now, though, although that's a bit pricey and I really prefer keyboard over gamepad for whatever reason.

Devil Children's basically Atlus trying to make an SMT game for kids, but they did this by just... making the protagonists children and the demons really cute, and not changing a whole lot else in terms of themes so like... there's this cute, childlike whimsy to everything and then the story's just straight up about genocide and the end of the world. It's like the last few episodes of the original Digimon series where everything got way fucked up out of nowhere.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: June 19, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »

tbh i found okami kinda... bland i guess? the artwork and setting and etc are undisputably amazing but the actual gameplay is just meh. it's mega handholdy (even moreso than skyward sword probably), combat is kinda awkward and everything seems so unnecessarily drawn out.

How long are you into teh game, because the beginning is horrible, in fact when you think the game end it picks up greatly!

jiitype
« Reply #6952 on: June 20, 2015, 03:41:31 AM »

I played Okami HD for 16 hours, it was fun and interesting but I agree that it started to feel a bit bland. I'll probably go back to it some day.

but daayumm it looks good in HD
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: June 20, 2015, 01:34:55 PM »

games bought during steam sale:

Goat Simulator: like saints row 4 except bad and filled with dank maymay humor. crap.

Pillars of Eternity: Only played a bit of this. Game seems very good for what it is but seems to adhere to infinity engine conventions too slavishly in order to please old fans. idk

Westerado Double Barreled: expanded version of the already good flash game. pretty much 2d way of the samurai in a wild west setting.

Starpoint Gemini 2: Good light 3D space trading game with a minimum of flight sim crap. nice.

Convoy: the devs bill this as "FTL meets mad max". talk about honest marketing lol. not as polished as its inspiration but pretty good. combat is squad based and i don't really have the hang of it yet. the map is more open than FTL but as a result ur often just cruising around waiting for stuff to happen.

Salt: Decent open world survival game with a focus on boats and sailing. Nice atmosphere despite simple graphics. I hope the shitty character models change tho. Has minecraft style crafting but is not too tedious.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6954 on: June 20, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but Legend of Grimrock 2 is amazing. I've cleared Shipwreck Beach, Twigroot Forest, and most of Forgotten River (I think), and I'm just starting to explore Sleet Island. Special attacks make combat more interesting than it was in the first game (not that it was bad, but the second one is definitely better). The scenery is gorgeous. Small puzzles are plentiful and varied, and really satisfying to figure out. I really wish there were more adventure games like this.

JWK5
« Reply #6955 on: June 20, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »

Way of the Samurai 4 is both utterly terrible and thoroughly entertaining.

It makes me cringe with characters with names like "Melinda Megamelons" and the highly uncomfortable sexual deviancy of the "Night Crawling" missions, the combat is all over the place, and virtually every part of the game is clunky as hell...

...and yet I am enjoying the game. It hits that weird point of doing just enough right that the wrong almost seems endearing, like the Tenchu games or Blood Will Tell. I think if the production values were higher I'd probably abhor the game, but the sheer chunkiness of it all turns it into a deformed puppy you can't help but love.

There are a lot of neat ideas at play that really need to be pushed by game developers, I'd like to see the way the game works merged with the time-hopping and branching timelines of Radiant Historia, with Bushido Blade's combat instead of the chaotic mash-fest that's already there.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: June 20, 2015, 08:51:05 PM »

6 1/2 hours into Twilight Princess Gamecube version. I got to the Arbiter's Grounds in the Wii version before I quit because I hated flailing my arm around years and years ago. This is my first time revisiting it. It's a lot better than I remember, probably mostly because of the controls.

If only I didn't have to deal with that in Skyward Sword.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: June 21, 2015, 03:04:59 AM »

way of the samurai 4 IS pretty cringey but 1 and 3 are cool, even if 3 has nonexistent production values
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6958 on: June 21, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »

Mostly just revisiting Lenna's Inception, while disemboweling my external HDD.

Steam Sale spoils so far include:

-Awesomenauts
-BlazBlue: Continnum Shift EXTEND
-Bloody Trapland
-Hand of Fate
-Hero Generations
-King Arthur's Gold
-MG Rising: Revengance
-Out There Somewhere
-Pixel Boy and the Ever-Expanding Dungeon
-Steamworld Dig
-Team Indie
-TERA (to be fair, is free-to-play, not sure if open-world Dark Soulsy game or not)
-Uplink
-The Witcher 2
-You Don't Know Jack EVERYTHING EVER
-Y's Origin

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6959 on: June 21, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »

i'm excited to check out the talos principle soon. i've been itching for a first person puzzler and i love jonas kryzates so it should be great

Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic