Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411751 Posts in 69409 Topics- by 58459 Members - Latest Member: hideworks

May 24, 2024, 03:11:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNine Lives - by Scylla Games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Nine Lives - by Scylla Games  (Read 12313 times)
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 03:29:56 AM »

Hmmm, I am using Snow Leopard. I don't suppose there was an error message was there? I am new to macs so I wasn't sure how to properly package an application. I will look into it.
Thanks, I am glad to see someone is trying it.

caou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 03:34:58 AM »

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SFML.framework/Versions/2.0.0/SFML
  Referenced from: /Users/johnsmith/Documents/install files/games/Nine Lives.app/Contents/MacOS/Nine Lives
  Reason: image not found

Hope this helps !

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »

Just added another gamplay video here:

Ah sweet, sound effects.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »

Yeah, they are only temporary at the moment. I have a guy doing the chiptunes mucis and sfx, so expect them to be much better soon.
And thanks for subscribing, let me give you a beer  Beer!

nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »

my subjective impressions:
-player flashing after hit is too long (reduce to 2 seconds at most)
-flashing effect should be faster
-gui can sometimes obstruct view of important things below you, such as holes
-when jumping on snakes, I would make it so that you bounce off more towards the sides
-couldn't find the first key (quit because I'm not sure if there is one or not)

there are plenty good things as well, but the thing that bothers me the most is, why should people bother investing time in your game? what is it's unique point? so far I have seen a cute, well-made generic platformer - do you plan to put any innovative game mechanics later on?  not being harsh, just giving my honest feedback.
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »

my subjective impressions:
-player flashing after hit is too long (reduce to 2 seconds at most)
-flashing effect should be faster
-gui can sometimes obstruct view of important things below you, such as holes
-when jumping on snakes, I would make it so that you bounce off more towards the sides
-couldn't find the first key (quit because I'm not sure if there is one or not)

there are plenty good things as well, but the thing that bothers me the most is, why should people bother investing time in your game? what is it's unique point? so far I have seen a cute, well-made generic platformer - do you plan to put any innovative game mechanics later on?  not being harsh, just giving my honest feedback.

Hey, thanks for the great feedback. I will look into the flashing timing you mention and see if I can improve it.
As for finding the key, I am already putting arrows in the background to guide you around and making a minimap to help with navigations.
As for the last point, after defeating each boss, you get a new ability, such as shooting, clinging to walls and hovering. If you have ever played gargoyle's quest, it is similar to that. It makes the gameplay very different for each world.
Cheers

Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »

Which OSX version do you target? I tried to start the game on snow leopard (10.6.Cool but it just crashed...

I have just uploaded a new version of the mac demo onto indiedb. But it may take a day or two to be authorised.
I'm very sorry about the last one. Several other people said it didnt work.
Hopefully, this new version will work for everyone. :-)

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »

Quote from: Charybdis
Cant rally paint eyelashes in a single pixel though. Hehe
Use your colours! I did a couple of examples to give you an idea. Feel free to use them!

I got up the the third level. Not too bad! A little slow to play, though. Would love a run button, or maybe just walk a little faster in general.

Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 03:25:16 AM »

Hey, that's really good! I like the middle picture best, but she does look a bit evil. hehe

nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »

after defeating each boss, you get a new ability, such as shooting, clinging to walls and hovering.

I see! while this is a step in the right direction in my opinion, here's some things you might want to consider:

-are these abilities unique enough to draw players to your game?

-do these abilities create enough gameplay possibilities for the player? (or are they just gimmicks)

-will you be able to retain player's attention until they get the first couple abilities and things start getting really interesting? (or will players just dismiss your game as a generic platformer and quit before they get to the good stuff?)

If you have ever played gargoyle's quest, it is similar to that. It makes the gameplay very different for each world.

yeah, I loved that game!

but, I'd probably not play it much nowadays, mostly because its unique selling point has been lost.  this is kind of my point, feel free to ignore it since I'm not a good game designer or anything Smiley
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:08:36 PM by nachobeard » Logged
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »

Thanks for more feedback mate.

I think the new abilites, while not unique, do make for fairly varied gameplay. You start out just runnning and jumping, but by the end you are scaling walls, flying and shooting things out of the air. Each world will have a very different feel to it, with different scenery, enemies and mechanics.

Also, I think you've rasied a very interesting point about uniqueness.
I see it as a double edged sword. While it's true that you do need to stand out from the crowd, I'd argue that trying to do something genuinely unique can also work against you. First, lots of people prefer to stick with what they know, so you may possibly be turning a lot of people off, and second, it can be difficult to get unique gameplay just right. Perhaps with a decent sized team and lots of time for testing and iterating it is easier, but for me, working alone, I prefer to spend my time making content and increasing quality, rather than endless cycles of trying out new things.
That last sentence sounds like I am being defensive, but I don't mean it like that. I think it's a serious point. There is a tradeoff between originality and quality. Look at tiny wings. The prototype game it is based on (wavespark) was highly original, but very poor quality, whereas tinywings is the opposite. The developer took great inspiration from an existing game, and polished it until it shined to bring us something wonderful.
Thanks

nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »

Hey man

For sure, I totally understand that we all want to make/play different types of games.
Me, I'd rather play something "different" (whatever that means) even if it's a fundamentally flawed game. Other people prefer to play expertly crafted games, and that's fine.
But I can't help seeing things under my own perspective you know? But whatever! I think I've watched too many Jon Blow talks lately anyway! :p
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:12:38 PM by nachobeard » Logged
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »

Hehe, no problem. Thanks for the insights.
Do you have any links to good indie talks? I need me some of that

nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 04:17:36 AM »

hey

talk on "juiciness" by petri purho (crayon physics)

jon blow lectures (mostly game design, there's like 20 videos in the whole playlist, you might want to space them out)

"being poor is good for games" (or something like that) by petri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwXFOgNVMww

gdc vault 2011 (not so indie but a lot of interesting/useful material)
http://www.gdcvault.com/free/gdc-11

talks can be entertaining and insightful but nothing beats a good book imo!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Game-Design-lenses/dp/0123694965
http://www.amazon.com/Level-Up-Guide-Great-Design/dp/047068867X
http://www.amazon.com/A-Theory-Fun-Game-Design/dp/1932111972
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17460.0
Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »

Hey, thanks mate. What a great resource. That info should be in a sticky thread (if it's not already).
I particulary like the jon blow ones
Cheers,  Toast Left

caou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 10:29:15 AM »

Have you updated the mac demo? I can't find the link anymore...

Charybdis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 01:24:38 AM »

Have you updated the mac demo? I can't find the link anymore...

Yes, I have been having trouble making a stable build for mac. I am getting there so it should be online soon.
Cheers,

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic