Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:19:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingResistance Wars
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Resistance Wars  (Read 1241 times)
iggynore
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:25:21 AM »

Hi everyone!

my name is Igor and I started to work with games last year.

Last weekend I was at a 48-hour game jam and we created a game that I would like to continue working on, although the rest of the team doesn't. So I created a crowdfunding campaign to gather a little bit of money (I have 0 skills in programming), but that is not really why I'm here. I would like to hear what you think about the game and if the goals I set are realistic (they are at the indiegogo page). You can play the humble ptorotype here.

No need for mercy, please shoot away! And thanks in advance,

- Igor

EDIT: I just switched the main image for one without my brilliant engrish in the title, and corrected the link to the IndieGoGo campaign
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:49:55 AM by iggynore » Logged
Dan 327
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »

The link is broken.
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »

http://www.indiegogo.com/resistance-wars

Haga
Level 0

A miserable little pile of secrets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »

Played it for about five minutes (just by myself though, don't have any local friends), so I can't comment on the gameplay except in generic terms. 

It's generally been my experience that PvP games are very quick to make fun, since a large part of the satisfaction is overcoming the skill and strength of my opponents, so my feedback will be stripped of this component:

+ I see that you're planning on adding more stuff for the tower to do, which will be cool.

+ I like where your game universe is headed, two brothers separated at birth and trained to be sworn enemies.  The gameplay doesn't really match this fantasy for me, though it doesn't have to.  The tower seems like a non-sequitor.

+ Have you considered more of a Wario-ware style approach to the game?  Rapidly shifting the mechanics between a dozen or so simple games?  You could have each mini game tell the story; in one they're separated at birth, in another they compete in lasergun training.  Random ideas aren't helpful, sorry.

+ The controls of the two characters feel responsive.

+ I had a hard time relating the distance between the projectiles and the shields on the tower.  I don't think this will be easy to address.  Perhaps having the projectiles travel along the "floor" might help, but that messes with your tetris barrier thing.

+ I also couldn't tell when the shield from the tower was moving in response to my key commands.
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:56:22 PM »

The game has a nice amount of charm to it that's for sure.  Beer!
I like the art direction. There is a weird sound thing that happens when you complete the area where the games level track plays and the victory music plays at the same time and creates some really weird dissonances.
Much more elaborate graphics for when you fire your gun would make it feel a lot stronger too.

But overall I like the direction. 

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
iggynore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:44 AM »

Thank you very much for your comments!!
+ I like where your game universe is headed, two brothers separated at birth and trained to be sworn enemies.  The gameplay doesn't really match this fantasy for me, though it doesn't have to.  The tower seems like a non-sequitor.

It's because in the original concept, if the tower loses, the players could choose to battle each other, or even during the main ga meplay, they could attack each other and be the sole winners... we didn't have time to do that, tho, but it's still planned for the final version. I hope that if that is in the final version, it would make it clear..?
About the tower being the non-sequitur element, well... it's the element I think gives the story a bit of a fantastic spice Wink

+ Have you considered more of a Wario-ware style approach to the game?  Rapidly shifting the mechanics between a dozen or so simple games?  You could have each mini game tell the story; in one they're separated at birth, in another they compete in lasergun training.  Random ideas aren't helpful, sorry.

Maybe it would be interesting, but I don't want to stray to much from the core gameplay. I'd like to build on top of it instead.

+ I had a hard time relating the distance between the projectiles and the shields on the tower.  I don't think this will be easy to address.  Perhaps having the projectiles travel along the "floor" might help, but that messes with your tetris barrier thing.

What do you mean by traveling along the floor? Like having a shadow that would help show where the projectile is in the space?

+ I also couldn't tell when the shield from the tower was moving in response to my key commands.
Yeah if you mean the tetris wall, there's is definitely something wrong to its commands... I think the wall should be paranted to the ring that is below it, so it moves smoothly, and you can protect yourself better.
iggynore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:36 AM »

The game has a nice amount of charm to it that's for sure.  Beer!
I like the art direction. There is a weird sound thing that happens when you complete the area where the games level track plays and the victory music plays at the same time and creates some really weird dissonances.
Much more elaborate graphics for when you fire your gun would make it feel a lot stronger too.

But overall I like the direction. 
Thanks! Wink
Yeah something is wrong with the sound, it's quite annoying... should be in the first things to fix... on the other hand, it may give a nice psychedelic effect in the long run :p
Oh yeah and I'll definitely put the fire action graphics on the list, there's actually 6 angles for the fire animations that are not yet implemented. If I only knew programming to make these little changes!!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:40 AM »

So I guess the brothers are supposed to co-operate to destroy the tower?  Because I couldn't get the brothers to hurt eachother.
iggynore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »

Well, as it is right now, they can't hit each other, because there's some code still to be done in that regard. But it should be in the final game, that you can choose to fight your brother for your planet's glory and be the sole winner, or team up with him to destroy the tower (and hope he doesn't betray you...).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:31:12 AM by iggynore » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 07:03:32 AM »

I think the game's perspective is a serious issue and you may want to consider adding more graphical ques as to what's going on.  Lines between certian objects, etc.
iggynore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 01:56:57 AM »

I think the game's perspective is a serious issue and you may want to consider adding more graphical ques as to what's going on.  Lines between certian objects, etc.

Yes, I'm planning to do that, but can I have some more concrete suggestions please..? Wink
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:31:31 AM by iggynore » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic