Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 03:33:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOn the Origin of Block - Need feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: On the Origin of Block - Need feedback  (Read 671 times)
savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »

Howdy all,

I made a game http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-24/?action=preview&uid=15315 for the recent Ludum Dare and I was hoping I could maybe get some feedback here. There's a web link where you can try it out.

I'm pretty set on making this into a full fledged game, but I need some help with a few of the control mechanics, mainly the block combining mechanic.

Most of the comments so far seem to be about this and the rest of the controls sucking. So that's what I want to tackle first. Anyone have any ideas on improvements/ suggestions???

+ I was thinking of making the block combinations happen with the mouse. Like you drag a box over the two blocks you want to combine or something. Thoughts?

Twitter: @Savethejets
QuadrupleA
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »

Hey,

Just played the game - cool concept, would be fun to play it in a more polished form - a few random suggestions:

The E/Q to switch thing is a little unintuitive - I would expect E to take me to the next block to the left, and Q to the right, but looks like the game's got its own internal order, so it feels like you're jumping around to a random block.

Also would be nice to smoothly scroll to the block you're switching to, rather than an instant jump, since combined with the random-order thing I found I was losing track of where I was.

Some sort of magnetic snap effect might help for aligning the pieces, as well as animations ala Tetris or something to clearly show you / give some sense of reward for making a good combo.

Maybe some kind of "pits" in the ground or ways to stabilize some of the blocks when you're making combos.

Kinda liked the keyboard / platformer controls, think I'd prefer that to the mouse myself. Controls felt a little too sensitive though, maybe reduce acceleration / max speed and such.

Anyway cool idea, I think it has potential.

Weapon Hacker - roguelite metroidvania;
Battleship Solitaire - mindless podcast companion
Dan 327
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »

The "hold shift to mate" thing didn't seem to be working for me. I would just bump into them and push them.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic