Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 11:18:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534919 times)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6800 on: June 20, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »

anyway, interesting that you think dks3 has the best pvp, seeing as how widely panned it is in the community. what's your reasoning?
I can't speak for the duelists but as far as invading and repelling invasions i've gotten more area pvp in dks3 than bloodbourne and dks2 combined. Plus the weapons are just fairly well balanced, there's no one big "everything" build like in dks2 or pre-dlc dks1.  The environments also are VERY well designed for being able to flank and just straight outplay enemy players, and the accessability of items to lock out healing and the white birch branches + the ring that makes you invisible until you're up close (not to mention the return of what is essentially "second chance" ) gives it the most strategic pvp of the series.

And honestly i didn't think bloodbournes pvp was BAD, it just lacked variety due to the few weapons and builds and the bell summoning system was iffy at best.

-Fuzzy Spider
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6801 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:20 AM »

Regarding PVP, I also think this is the tightest combat has ever been in a PVP sense. Lots of strategies to be employed and it all feels good.

unfortunately tho, the progression is the most linear in a souls game yet and for me this is frustrating. especially because the game has a lot of difficult mandatory boss fights. unlike in the other games, you often can't just try something else if you get stumped on a boss, other than grind levels (which i never do because fuck that). so dks3 is more exhausting for me to play than any other souls game.

100% this. I fell off of dark souls 3 probably quicker than any Souls game because of this. I thought up plenty of cool builds but somehow knowing I'd basically be taking them through the EXACT same path got a little unappealing after three runs.

I really miss the master key.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: June 21, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »

Tho i think the dlc is probably going alleviate the lack of paths a little by giving us more optional areas. It'd be good if the dlc entrances were spread throughout the game rather than just being late game content.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: June 21, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »

What's with the color in darksouls 3? I thought there was only 2 colors (help: white and invader:red)? what are the next in line in the rainbows mean (yellow, blue, etc ...)?

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6804 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:09 AM »

there are plenty of colors even since dks2

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »

but what does they mean, any nomenclature, I'm confused

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6806 on: June 21, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/phantoms

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6807 on: June 21, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gjcfp/psa_phantom_colours_and_what_they_mean/

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: June 21, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »

but what does they mean, any nomenclature, I'm confused

different colors mean different things in different games

In demons souls it was blue for co-op summons and red for invaders, tho they were officially called white and black (ikaruga syndrome lol). in dks1 co-op phantoms are actually white, except if theyre members of the sun covenant (the fabled sunbros) in which case they are yellow. dks3 introduces purple phantoms (aka mad phantoms) who can attack anyone and be attacked by anyone. those phantoms are members of the mound builder covenant. there are also grey phantoms in dks2 which is related to the rat covenant. the rat covenant is a "trap" covenant that exists in 2 different areas and summons unwitting players to the worlds of rat covenant members for them to kill. blue phantoms are also related to a specific covenant. they can sometimes get summoned automatically to help players who are being invaded.

TL;DR its black for pvp and white for co-op. any other colors are tied to covenants.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6809 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »

also dks3 introduced blending of red + the color of your covenant if you invade (like if you invade in the sun covenant you get red + yellow tint, doesn't work for all covenants though).
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6810 on: June 21, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »

Wait what about host of ember?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: June 21, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »

Just a fancy name for the host in a multiplayer game in dks3 (i.e. the person getting invaded or summoning phantoms to their game)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6812 on: June 23, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »

I decided to ignore 5-2 for the time and went farming 4-1 a bit so I could buy tons of spices and herbs, and ventured into 3-2 again. This level and 1-1 are brilliant in the way they wrap I feel, and how they eventually streamline the path to the boss. That BP mindflayer at the narrow stairs feels a bit random - there are time wehre you can just stunlock him painlessly, and the there are other times where he decides to spam soul ray all the fucking time and argh.

Im not sure what to think about the maneaters. They dont "feel" as tough as the bell gargoyles, but I still cant handle them well.

Also I had forgotten to mention that I got SotFS like a week ago and did a quick test run/. Game averages on 45fps, I feel all that post procressing makes it actually look blurrier and worse. I miss my crisp sea waves on Majula. I only went to the first bonfire on the forst of fallen giants. Not sure what to think of the enemy placement so far. The ogre at the bonfire feels a bit more out of place IMO.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6813 on: June 27, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »

I kept dying to the Maneaters and ended up reading how can you cheaply snipe the first of them behind the fog and thats what I did. It was by far more manageable. Cant reach 3-3 boss yet, those Black Phantom Mindflayers are tedious and have gotten killed myself out of my own impatience. Went to 1-3 and opened the gate. From a level design standpoint, I like how open the first and third boletaria levels feel (despite being actually super linear). Also rescued St. Urbain, whom i dont care much about since im not focusing on miracles. I really dont feel like tackling 5-2.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6814 on: June 27, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »

Eek, I'm just becoming aware of how thoroughly spoiled I've been by souls fighting mechanics. I tried picking up a few other swordy combat type games (supposedly really good ones!) and all of them boil down to "mash X to kill things" with almost no strategy or depth. It feels like gaem for babby and I get bored immediately. Dang it, From!!!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: June 27, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »

advice: play some monster hunter
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: June 27, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »

advice: play some monster hunter

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: June 27, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »

but no seriously, the souls series has ruined almost all other action rpgs for me. like, monster hunter is great and it has slow tactical combat and stuff, but it's not the same complete package of mechanics, level design and atmosphere/lore that souls is.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: June 27, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »

I guess that's why the new zelda is full of ruin then

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6819 on: June 27, 2016, 07:11:34 PM »

but souls games are not full of ruins, perhaps decadence. tower of latria and the valley of defilement are certainly shitholers, but but not ruins.

Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic