Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 04:17:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & Eventsspontaneous game jam edmonton
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: spontaneous game jam edmonton  (Read 2947 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »

OK everyone, you've heard it here first!  Matt, Chevy, and I are hosting a game jam in Edmonton on April 3rd and 4th, at SUB on the U of A campus.

Main thing to note is that we're taking a super casual approach to this jam; no themes or constraints or stuff like that, but I've been assembling a list of the themes/constraints that I find really interesting from the "suggest future compos" thread, just to get the ideas flowing quickly though.  Beer!

...and there isn't actually more info on Matt's site yet.

(the poster is also subject to change, as matt/chevy haven't given the go-ahead yet...I think I've done an ok job on it?  but I'm not a graphic designer, so yeah...Shrug)
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »

This poster is awesome, and I really want to make it to this!
ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 06:00:07 PM »

Poster is nice. Pong is painfully cliche, but I like how you've given it perspective. Keeps the poster simple anyhow.

The one thing that might be a bit confusing for people, if you're posting that around the University, is folks might think that a "Game Jam" is for playing games rather than making them. I know that the rest of the poster text clears that up, but some people really don't read. Cheesy

Maybe a single contact email would've been good too? So people can email to ask questions if they have to.

EDIT: Here, I made a tinyUrl that you can use to link directly to Matt's blog post about the event instead of his website, since his domain doesn't directly lead to any information about the jam.

http://tinyurl.com/GameJamEd

(Maybe make one that's like... GGE or something instead, I dunno)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:07:50 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »

Suddenly I wish I lived in Alberta again.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:29:44 AM »

I know the cliche, but I wanted something very minimalist and iconic; figured the sketchup 3d stuff would at least give it a bit more visual interest.

Yeah, the making/playing thing is why I had the "make games!" text on there, because I was worried about that.

Haven't printed any yet, so I'll definitely make some smaller revisions before I do; comments definitely noted.  Probably the main revision being a way to make "make games!" bigger and more obvious somehow.

About the single contact email, how should we do that?  Just create a new account or something, or just pick one of us?

Also, shit, why do all the cool people leave this province?  Sad
ChevyRay
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »

Bookin' my ticket today. I should be coming in around noon-ish on Thursday, but I'll let you guys know if plans change up. Cheers
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:06:59 AM »

Hey guys are you jammin' right now? Keep us updated, mans...
ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:21:47 AM »

Jam was a success! Two beautyful games were made this weekend. Here's what ours looks like:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic