Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 05:55:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJam: Midwest 2010 [Keynote by Alec, theme "proverbs"]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: TIGJam: Midwest 2010 [Keynote by Alec, theme "proverbs"]  (Read 9051 times)
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

TIGJam Midwest
June 4th-6th in Des Moines, Iowa

A game jam where videogames will be created around the theme "proverbs"
Registration is FREE and open to all creatives - programmers, hackers, designers, artists, musicians

RSVP at http://tigjammidwest.eventbrite.com

Friday, 7pm at Foundry Coworking
Keynote by Alec Holowka

Friday, 8pm - Sunday, 3pm at Foundry Coworking
Unity tutorial by Evan Balster
Making videogames

Sunday, 3pm - 8pm at Impromptu Studio
Presentation to the public

Participants will form teams, choose a specific proverb from a culture of their choice, and develop a game based on it.  There could be games based on Chinese Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Christian proverbs, or more obscure cultures or religions. You can start here for ideas: http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Chinese_Proverb/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:47:12 AM by godatplay » Logged

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »

Alec and myself were talking about the possibility of driving down there, but I think he'll probably be going whether or not we drive it....  Gentleman
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »

I've got me eye on this one:

"If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow."

...And am super pumped for this jam!

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »

I know, I'm pumped too!  Not sure what I'm going to pick yet, though...

@godatplay
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »

Got a poster up.

More news:
  • Free Venom energy drinks
  • Barring some catastrophy, free catered food all weekend
  • In progress: drink specials next door at Des Moines Social Club

@godatplay
x70x
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »

Ok, so I just signed up to do this thing and I am SUPER PUMPED that something like this is happening in Iowa. I just graduated from the University of Dubuque with a degree in Computer Graphics and Interactive Media. I was just hoping that someone could explain a little bit more to me how this whole thing works. I'm pretty sure that my graphic art skills will be useful, but how does the whole process work? If you want to see the kind of stuff that I do you could check out my portfolio at www.tylerowen.info. Basically, what should I expect? Can't wait to meet some other people interested in making indie games! I will be driving down from Dubuque for sure.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »

I got time off work for this, so I am officially free to come now. I've wanted to attend the last couple events you guys held, but it never ended up working out. It's pretty cool that the first one I get to come to looks to be the biggest yet... I am zetta excited for this!
The state sponsorship thing went through as planned, right? Lately I have been happily thanking my friends for "unwittingly supporting independent game development".

Should I assume that I will be able to find people to work with on the day of the event, or is it acceptable to try forming teams beforehand? I want to use this as an opportunity to see how well I work when I'm not on my own. The only experience I have had developing a game as part of a group was when I was on the Egoboo devteam, and that was a little different, since we were expanding an existing game, not creating a new one from scratch.

I'll be interested in hearing that Unity talk... although I'm much more comfortable with 2D than 3D.
Oh, and who will be catering the food?

...By the way, in case you don't remember me, I'm that one guy who visited the Intuition office in Ames back in December. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:32:19 AM by Machine Saint » Logged

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »

What to expect:
People will show up at Foundry and be milling around, we'll probably try to set up a whiteboard with skills, and someone will get up and make a very informal "hey welcome" about 7pm. Then Alec will give his talk, there will be a Q&A until the 1-hour mark.  Then Evan will give his Unity tutorial.

After that, people will announce their proverbs, brainstorm game ideas, and then get into teams.  It'll be pretty informal, in the past Greg has taken notes on a whiteboard of people's ideas and everyone just kinda decided what to do collectively.  Or maybe it'll turn into a caucus, I don't know. Tongue

From then on, it's pretty much do whatever you want.  Go home for the early-birds or get to work (most will choose the latter).

Then come back (if you left at all) the next morning/whenever people get up, and keep going.

Continue until Sunday at around 2:30pm, when we migrate to Impromptu.  Deliver a build, we'll start presenting, and those who want to last-minute crunch can for the next hour or two.  Hang out there until whenever; we'll officially be there until 8pm.

Food:
Fong's Pizza
La Mie pastries
Gateway Market/South Union sandwiches
Flying Mango BBQ
Mars Cafe sandwiches
Fruit/veggies/snacks
JessieMadeThis ice cream

The biggest thing you can do to be prepared is to have your development environment set up and ready to go before you come.  Make sure you bring all the equipment you need to be productive; software, brushed up on skills, external HD of assets/code if needed, drawing tablet, art supplies, (musical) keyboard, etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:04:09 PM by godatplay » Logged

@godatplay
x70x
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »

Thanks for the run down. Sounds like a great time. So am I to understand then that we can prepare some random graphics/music/code before hand? If so then I will start working on some ideas now.

And thanks for providing such a cool opportunity for people in this area.
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »

Preparing stuff specifically for the event is dangerous, since who knows what will be used or what wouldn't.  But it's up to you certainly.

I was mainly referring to low-level things, like code libraries/pieces, photos, raw drawings/illustrations, etc.  Stuff you could take and hack apart and reassemble come jam time.

Since we're talking proverbs, low-level character assets might be a good thing to work on.

This is roughly the 7th game jam we've had, actually.  We usually try to plan the time in our Google group (http://groups.google.com/group/igdf/).

@godatplay
x70x
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »

Ok, well in that case I am just collecting some of my favorite proverbs and some ideas to go along with them.
Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »

Should Alec and I register? I'm not a programmer, hacker, designer, artist or musician.... I'll probably just be chilling out and doing photography.
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »

Yeah, that'd be a good idea, just in case I forget when I add everything up when ordering the food.  The goal of the RSVP is to make sure everyone on there gets food.  Thanks!

@godatplay
Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »

Aight I put two tickets under my name, Chrissy Chubala, for Alec and myself  Beer!
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »

I'm excited to hang out with everyone.  It's a huge weekend for me (parents 40th anniversary and freaking 60th birthdays.  no joke) so I can only make it Friday.  I'll be there as early as I can muster and jam all day.  Join me anyone?

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »

fucrate has coined it Earlyjam '010.  EARLYJAM WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD

@godatplay
Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 02:01:05 AM »

Hark, a TIGJam Midwest Photo Album approaches!

Let the inviting warmth of Ted Martens' fireplace draw you in:

tresch
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »

Weeeeee!

I didn't really follow the theme on account of the fact that I was merely going for the personal challenge of writing a game on a platform that I'd never touched before... in 48 hours.

I mostly succeeded! I have video proof!

This was immensely rewarding for me and has me really pumped up for game development and working on Android, in general. Also, I'm really loving the growing community of Iowa developers. I look forward to seeing more of you guys, more often, in the future!
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 11:11:13 PM »

rock on tresch! This looks great. I love the idea of creating the controls wherever you want on the screen.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 11:14:35 PM »

I started something I have had in mind for a while: Infinite Blank.

I cheated and found a swiss proverb for it: A good spectator also creates.

It's an online platformer where people create and explore a 2D world, which can grow arbitrarily in all directions.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic