Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:02:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1324038 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1220 on: December 04, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »

Lol, nah, placed blocks are singular, but free pickupable blocks can be multiples. Although I love the idea of making blocks stronger by reinforcing them.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 04, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »

Update: Did some "busy work" today, I changed the styles of bp.io and moonman.io. Now they match, yay!
They're looking pretty neat! Good job!

Update: Item pick-ups are now handled by the physics engine, by using box2d sensors to determine if moonman collides with them. Did other item updates, for instance you can now drop items and blocks from the inventory into the world. Items in the world also have a count, so if you walk over a potion for instance, it may actually be 5 potions, or if you see a coin it might be 10 coins. I think I did this mainly for blocks, where you might want to get rid of 99 dirt blocks - but I don't want to flood the world with 99 separate objects.

Moving tomorrow, no more coding for a while! Smiley

Hey, just for curiosity: why are you moving?
I think 99 blocks is too much. The maximum amount of blocks that can be thrown in the world should be less. Or you could make something like a counter that shows how much blocks are there, or a visual signal. (the stack of items change their color).

Although I love the idea of making blocks stronger by reinforcing them.

Cool idea! It should be on the game. Another thing that NEEDS to be in the game are:

No, but, seriously, if MM doesn't have houselags, it will MISERABLY fail.  Hand Thumbs Down Right Lips Sealed

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1222 on: December 11, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »

Mostly moved now .. feels like I haven't coded in forever ever. 10 carloads and 1 truckload, I didn't realise we had so much stuff. Shocked

Happymonster sent me this sweet mm HD concept, which I blogged about.

@tcng:

We're moving to get closer to my wife's workplace to reduce her commute (from 2hrs a day down to 40 mins or so). I work from home so can be anywhere.

I never said 99 was the max. Tongue Actually its uncapped atm. My mantra of simplicity is being violated here, so maybe I'll just remove the count.

Re: house legs, lol, I can't even comprehend how this mechanic would work. Considering the ground is not very flat, how does the machine react to slopes, different heights, etc. I can code it all with the physics engine so it behaves physically accurate, but this may not be fun at all as most of the time it would get stuck, etc. Furthermore how do the controls work? If the user is creating this he would also need to specify the how the pistons work and synchronise, and how that links up to the user input. In all honestly, I'm looking forward to having simple machines, but large moving articulated buildings .... I'm not so sure that's within my capabilities to achieve within my time frame. :|

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1223 on: December 12, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »

Haha! Glad you liked it! Smiley

The move sounds painful with so many carloads.. was it all the geek toys? Wink
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:16 AM »

@tcng:
I never said 99 was the max. Tongue Actually its uncapped atm. My mantra of simplicity is being violated here, so maybe I'll just remove the count.

Oh, I thought you said 99 was the max. Sorry.  Embarrassed

Considering the ground is not very flat, how does the machine react to slopes, different heights, etc. I can code it all with the physics engine so it behaves physically accurate, but this may not be fun at all as most of the time it would get stuck, etc.

Well, it could just pass through obstacles on the ground, or you could jump above them.

Furthermore how do the controls work?

What kind of controls? To controls the house legs?

If the user is creating this he would also need to specify the how the pistons work and synchronise, and how that links up to the user input. In all honestly, I'm looking forward to having simple machines, but large moving articulated buildings .... I'm not so sure that's within my capabilities to achieve within my time frame. :|

Your game is pointed on building machines, right? So, I think it needs to has a very robust machine building system, so you could build amazing giant machines. Yeah, but make a system like that would take a looong time probably.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1225 on: December 12, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »

Ha, nah I only have a laptop and a mac mini, oh, and the 2 monitors, and 2 big speakers, desk, printer, 4 guitars, my amp, 3 bikes, a big tv, xbox, ... hmm, so much .. But we've also just got lots of other stuff, like crockery and cups and whatever. I don't understand why we need to have 8 of everything (cups, plates, bowls, ...) when there are only two of us that live here. But my logic cannot win in this situation. Wink

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1226 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »

@tcnd

What kind of controls? To controls the house legs?

Yeah. Assuming you can make any kind of thing, how does he specify how the keyboard maps to the control of the machine. For instance, for the house-legs machine it makes sense that pressing right arrow would cause the machine to move right, right? But to do this the player would have to set up a walk right action for the machine, and specify how the different parts need to operate in order to get moving. This isn't impossible, and actually with a scripting language could probably be fairly simple, but I'm still so unsure about what this complex feature would contribute to the gameplay? This game isn't Little Big Planet, so it won't ever have such complex parts and machines, but otoh it's more than a rogue-like, so it will have construction of dynamic things at some level.

Your game is pointed on building machines, right?

Well I always had a few points in mind when I started MM, and making a rogue-like minecraft-like ascii-style platformer was the original goal. Since then, things like water, multiplayer, and machines have crept into the goal, and I'd like to have all, which means that each facet won't be as deep as I would have liked. I would say that machines (of the sort that you build and ride) are less important to me than a number of other features. But I know you love house-legs, so I might have a play around at some point and see what I can do.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 12, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »

Your game is pointed on building machines, right?

Well I always had a few points in mind when I started MM, and making a rogue-like minecraft-like ascii-style platformer was the original goal. Since then, things like water, multiplayer, and machines have crept into the goal, and I'd like to have all, which means that each facet won't be as deep as I would have liked. I would say that machines (of the sort that you build and ride) are less important to me than a number of other features. But I know you love house-legs, so I might have a play around at some point and see what I can do.

Oh...ok, so MM will not have the complex machines I imagined. But it will be easily moddable, right?
If it is so, I could create a machines mod (despite the fact that I would have to learn a new programming languange).
But if you could make house legs... oh man... MM would be my favorite game FOREVER!

P.S: Ok, maybe not my favorite game. Maybe the second:  Cave Story, MM, Minecraft, VVVVVV, Super meat boy... (insert a HUGE list of indie, zelda and metroid games here).

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1228 on: December 13, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »

Hah, yeh, I can imagine an awesome game with programmable machines, large lumbering building mechs, etc. Maybe that will be my next game.. Wink

Update: Mockup time! There's much more info on screen this time, and it's based on ascii roguelikes. (I've been playing Brogue a little Smiley) I'm just stuffing around, trying to figure out what moonman might be..

In this mockup:
  • The Grid! I wanted everything to be aligned to the same grid. This needs more thought for how the fonts will be aligned.
  • "sequu" is the character name, and "moonman" is the race. Each saved world will store the created characters.
  • HP/MP. I wanted a simple hit point system, but those pluses would probably be better off as hearts or plain blocks.
  • Player Inventory (toggleable). Typically diablo/minecraft-style.
  • Other inventories, shops, etc will appear next to the player inventory.
  • Tooltips: Hovering over things will show a description in the bottom right. Things have poperties, like (+1 enchantment), which get showed here. Properties of blocks get shown here too, e.g., "slippery", "burning", ...
  • Time in top right

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1229 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »

I like it. When do you expect to have it fully implemented in the game?

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1230 on: December 13, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

The UI and renderer improvements will probably be a couple of months away I think. Plenty of time to discuss it more! Tongue

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1231 on: December 18, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »

• "sequu" is the character name, and "moonman" is the race. Each saved world will store the created characters.

Does that mean there will be other playable races or just that critters we interact with will have their race displayed the same way?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1232 on: December 18, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »

There will be a number of playable races, each coming from a different moon on this multi-mooned planet.

Update: As a side note, I'm doing research into how subsystems can communicate via events, and how these can be organised nicely and eventually transmitted optimally over the network. It's a bit of a sidetrack from my 0.3 goal, but I've got to think about it at some stage..

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1233 on: December 19, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »

Update: I won't be getting the 0.3 release out before xmas, probably not for a few weeks. So busy with everything and stuffs!

But here's a video of the latest build, in slowmo, with some cool music under construction.

Merry xmas, see you in 2013.

Gentleman

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 20, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »

Happy holidays to you too, toe bro!

Nice video.
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 20, 2012, 06:36:20 AM »

Cool video, but:
Merry xmas, see you in 2013.
Gentleman
This means... no devlogs... for 11 days? I think I can't survive that.  Crazy

But, the world ends tomorrow, so... don't makes difference.  Shrug

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 20, 2012, 06:53:06 AM »

When you have completed Moonman to your satisfaction, you could look to LittleBigPlanet 2 for inspiration on the complex machine front. Moonman 2 maybe? In any case I like the scope of the game as it is now.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 21, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »

I want space to be available. Maybe other planets too?

Tongue

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1238 on: December 21, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »

There will be 100 billion stars to explore, each with 100 billion unique planets, each with 100 billion moons.

BlinkBlink
Hand Knife RightHand Knife RightHand Knife RightHand Knife RightHand Knife Right

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1239 on: December 21, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »

Haven't looked at this project in a while, oh my ghawd its looking fantastic.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic