Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 02:20:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProbability 0 FLASH is BACK!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Probability 0 FLASH is BACK!  (Read 26154 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »

When I get home

I will see

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »

a shame, it feels much better to me

+1

This really is better! :3

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »

I'm getting max fps, and it feels much smoother to me too.

The faster enemies actually helps early on because you need to wait less for them and you don't get stuck at the top of the screen as much. (I haven't played a full game on the fast version but I assume the speed would make it harder with enemies other than spiders and blobs.)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2011, 06:33:19 AM »

I should mention: It feels smoother to me as well, but in a way that I'm not even sure is 100% better.

It's... smoother, but it just seems different,
as opposed to improved.

~

Probably a bad idea to speed up the enemies :p People have enough trouble early on as it is!

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2011, 06:45:51 AM »

Probably a bad idea to speed up the enemies :p People have enough trouble early on as it is!

Agreed :3

But I really do think smoother is better. The other version just feels laggy. I mean, I can understand it's a crap load of work to change all this stuff now xD but I'm sure it's for the better! ^^

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »

Laggy? Really? :/ seems a bit like the wrong word to describe it but maybe not

I'm not on my home computer, but this school computer is more than good enough to handle the smoothness vs non-smoothness comparison.

At the moment the bottom line is: I see a difference, but it's barely there and it affects next to nothing. I could change the whole thing to 60 FPS, but it's not worth the work or the performance hit. I'm not say "it needs to be able to run on netbooks", but I use my netbook to gauge exactly how much lag is really being introduced by making the change. It's quite a bit, even though that's probably because of the not-so-great hardware.

I watch pixels and their movement is slightly jerkier in the 35 FPS version. They both have distinct feels and there are certain motion qualities that the low-FPS version has which I actually prefer (it's kind of weird even to me).

Yes, I could change this to variable-step framerate and add an option to the menu somewhere, but I simply do not believe it's worth it. I'd have to change so many numbers and add tons of multiply-by-time-passed operations. Whether or not it's because of bad code practice is irrelevant at this point.

Feel free to try to convince me that I've made the wrong decision by choosing to leave it as it is, but please don't point out how smooth it is >:( I understand that it is smoother in 60 FPS.

Fin.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:04:31 AM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »

Leave in the current hacked together version as an option and call it 'fast mode'.

I wasn't trying saying the faster enemies were easier, just that it had it's benefits.

Also, do you take tf2 item bribes? I noticed you don't have a crit-a-cola.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »

If it was that easy, I would. :/

It's an entirely separate project folder with edited files which contain altered values.

And yeah, I know xD Fair enough.

Nah, not... really x3 been a while since I've played it much. Also I did have one at some point; I probably crafted it away.

Curseman
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »

Both versions work fine for me.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »

Cool.

~

Mini-hiatus. I'm working on P0 whenever I feel like it, and I'm also working on Starseed Pilgrim and a couple little game making competitions which are running end-to-end. This is going to be fun.

Things which I am thinking about:

Currently, difficulty increases as depth increases.
+ I'd like to add different blockgen patterns.
+ It'd be cool to add different blocks
+ and maybe a few more rare enemies
+ and maybe some harmless entities (like the plants I added fairly late on to P0 original flavour)

I'm thinking about adding a sort of difficulty increase when you reach a certain level, as well. 10?
+ Occasionally, pickups (never the EXP-UPs, I guess) will be replaced by STATE CHANGES. These would be like the temporary late-game effects that happened in P0 original flavour. I'd like to keep these strange events in, but I'm not sure when to do them or how to indicate that they've started. This is one of my thoughts on them.

~

Also, I need to increase the ability screen's clarity. Right now it's probably tough for someone new to figure out that ability buying even exists.

Should add scoring.

Should add level indicator, and also one for unspent points.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2011, 08:10:34 AM »

UPDATE.

1. ORTOSLONAUT! mode added (beta flavour)

2. Movement has been made 15% more free to express itself. On the x-axis, anyway.

3. After you die, PRESS ESC TO GO BACK TO THE MAIN MENU (what a glorious innovation!)

4. Is that it? I think that's it.

in case you're lazy you can play it here
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:27:50 AM by Droqen » Logged

Curseman
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »

Did you rework the Mario Boots power in some way?  It feels much more useful to me than it used to.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »

Movement feels nice. I still think you should be able to leave the menu with space.

On the topic of extra modes: Bullet hell mode:
Only shooty enemies. (maybe special ones too?)
Lots of them.
Few blocks
Infinite stars
Infinite jumps
All star directions
1 hit point.

It would be neat to have a built-in mode where you can turn on/off your own custom loadouts, with extra stuff you cant get normally, (like infinite jumps, or multistomp) and custom level/monster spawning parameters.

Maybe it would only let you use abilities/monsters you've gotten/killed in the main game. (with stomp unlocking multistomp etc.)
ortoslon
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »

on ortoslonaut mode (keywords: streamlined, visceral, score-driven):

rename it to Arcade mode because i'm too obscure. you can leave "ortoslonaut" in the pause screen though, no one reads these anyway

make the background purple or crimson instead of blue
alter the music slightly
spawn a little less enemies

now that i've played it a little (and reached ~300m), i like the small quiver. but with such a small quiver, large star powerups don't make sense. remove them. with only two types of powerups left (1 health, 2 stars), the queue doesn't make sense. remove it. make two types of bubbles look different. give score for taking redundant bubbles (bonus for star bubble at full quiver, larger bonus for heart bubble at full health)

make the explosions damage everything, not just walls

relax the level generator a little

EDIT: also, where are my uppercuts and larger punches?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:30:20 AM by ortoslon » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

uppercuts?

also, the punch you are getting should be pretty big o: it just doesn't have fancy effect.

ortoslon
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »

uppercuts?
they were on my wishlist

also, the punch you are getting should be pretty big o: it just doesn't have fancy effect.
but are they twice as strong as stars? (was on the list too)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »

Yup. Double damage.

also, I see it now o: adding.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »

Sad

I think the hitbox for the smoke enemy is a bit small, because my stars miss them when they look like they should hit, and they don't seem to dodge or move erratically. I not sure though, for obvious reasons.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2011, 05:01:09 AM »

>:

Yeah, the smoke/ghost enemies are basically engineered to be jackasses. It's really terrible when you get them in an egg, too D:

Late response to Vanguard: I don't think so o: Do you mean changed from P0, or changed from previous versions of P0Flash?

Curseman
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »

The original, I hadn't messed with it very much in P0Flash.  I just tried otroslonaut mode, and it seemed much better than I remembered.  I used to frequently get hit after jumping on a guy, but this time it wasn't a big issue.  Maybe I never gave the ability enough of a chance before?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic