Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411678 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 08:54:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesigning small games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Designing small games  (Read 3288 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »

This is a thing I have thought about a lot lately and would like to hear about what kind of methods other people use to design small scale, quickly finishable game concepts. Since my current project is rather slowly advancing, sometimes it feels like it would be nice to take little break and develop small game just for a change. However, for me coming up these small manageable ideas seems hard to come by and most of my ideas/starting designs tend to be rather big (not a classic MMORPG but ones which would need probably several months to do).

This has led me to ponder some tips or hints how to harness one's creative force to come up small, easily doable games, whether they are little arcades or "art games" (please no term debate in this topic Smiley) So far I have heard about "Post-it" designingfrom Lost Garden's Danc where game design should be fit in one post-it note. Other than that I have though about is simply limiting most areas of game development (like no detailed graphics, only couple of levels etc...), but it s still rather broad concept and hearing about some practical examples would be interesting Smiley

Thoughs? Smiley

laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:06:50 AM »

I'm currently working on a small game. I decided to do it on a whim because I really wanted to get something out. 

Such games should ideally feature technically rich gameplay.  "Easy to learn, hard to master."  Having simple but deep mechanics allows you to utilize the small amount of content you've generated to the fullest extent.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »

This has led me to ponder some tips or hints how to harness one's creative force to come up small, easily doable games, whether they are little arcades or "art games"
That's pretty easy actually (for me anyway). Have a game with tons of different mechanics in mind? Try to reduce it to the bare essentials. Wanna make a game with 50 levels? Settle for 10 instead.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »

Oh, I almost forgot I made this topic. Sorry for Laserdracula to not responding!
I think you are right but the question I had was how to design small games and I think that tip, though true, doesn't exactly answer to my question. But still, I find it true and interesting so thanks Smiley

@C.A. Sinclair
Yes, I think you are right and I have figured it out and using it in my current a bit larger oneman project. The problem I think I have is how to set the "starting rules" or "first step" for my designing process to enable me to come up something which is doable in small scale. I think the question is rather intangible and vague though. The question would be more how to limit myself so that I can channel the innovation into small scale and create a small concept and if there is any methods people use for this.

For additional example would be that if I approached the design as "it would be cool if player could do that and that..." the design tends to get bigger and bigger. In some cases you could only strip content off until it is small. However, I think that with some designs that might take it's fascination away. Let's say a story driven epic rpg could be an good etreme example :D Iäm more after how to set my mind into designing inherently small game not a stripped down one.

Again, I'm now starting to think the question posed is rather intangible, useless or even a bit mindless but it still intrigues me.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »

I was looking at old Game & Watch and tiger electronic games. then I was thinking up stories that I wanted to portray and breaking it down into something simple that would work in one the form of a game and watch.

my idea was Greek mythology based mini games.
- charon ferrying the dead across.
- a satyr must catch grapes dropped by Dionysus.

stuff like that.

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 04:47:26 AM »

When designing a game I like to pick a theme. The theme will always be simple, for example 'escape' or 'speed' or 'balance'.

The theme will inform every design decision you make, from the game mechanics to visual design. If some element does not support or reinforce the theme, cut it from your game.

Its not always easy to follow this principle, but a theme will focus and unify the design. Its a technique suggested by Jesse Schell (author of 'The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses') that has worked very well for me.

(Note: have a look at the Experimental Gameplay Project for some more theme ideas)

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »

Come up with a single thing that you want to say or try, and then think of how to do it. Now take away anything that does not directly contribute to that core idea. It's pretty simple, really, provided your core idea is strong (that is, original).

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:32:32 PM »

Try to reduce the game down to an easily testable prototype.  (Yes, I know, I recommend prototypes for everything.)  Something that you can write in a couple of days, and see if it's fun.  If so, you can figure out how much you want to expand on it, but if you can make something that you actually enjoy playing (without hand-wavy excuses like "oh, but this part will be much different later and will be fun THEN") then you have an excellent core seed for a small project.

You can always grow things after you have established that they are fun.  And hey, if it turns out to not be as much fun as you thought, you only wasted a couple of days. Tongue

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:46:24 AM »

I like to think of a board game you could sit down and play for a bit.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »

Thanks guys. Smiley The Game & Watch idea was rather interesting and I should definitely give it a chance Smiley
Should also try theme advice and prototyping though I have been aware of those already but probably haven't really exploited them properly. With prototyping I still kinda struggle with coming up interesting mechanic to prototype, I guess the school and my main project is draining my creative energy or something eg. having somekind of block which should be shattered first  Concerned

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic