Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 10:11:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGoing back to basics: 2D Level design, where to start?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Going back to basics: 2D Level design, where to start?  (Read 3041 times)
Majestic XII
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »

Hey guys!

I'm a quite experienced level designer in the world of Source and UDK, but I keep getting flashbacks from earlier times. When games were in 2D and you didn't have to care about that lousy third dimension.

So my plan is to change it up a bit, do something that I don't do anymore; 2D level design. But the question is, where do I go? I'm looking for a fun single- or multiplayer game, genre isn't really important (open for everything basically... but something like Monaco would be great! :D Spy-themed!)

Do you know a cool game that has a level editor, or do you need maps for your game and are willing to let me have a go at it? Let me know!

Cheers mates,
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »

Well, to answer your question, Knytt Stories has a neat little level editor. It's interesting because you can edit any level you want to, even the official levels, so if you're looking for inspiration or ideas I'd suggest doing that.

Also, please introduce yourself here.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »

construct or Game Makers are 2d level editors

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »

...and Game Makers are 2d level editors

Game Maker does not have a 2d level editor. What it has is an abomination. A disease to mankind.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:08:32 PM »

Well, at least it's better than MMF2 where you have to copy/paste everything Big Laff

IQpierce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:58:59 PM »

If you're thinking about top-down 2D games, I think that Torchlight has a great level editor/mod creation tools. It's not strictly 2D of course, but it is in spirit since it's a top-down game.

One guy trying to make some interesting decisions.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

Game Maker does not have a 2d level editor. What it has is an abomination. A disease to mankind.

Rmxp does.
Chronomancer
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »

"tiled" & Ogmo are both good "general purpose" 2D level tile/map editors, they're but not for any particular game.  I am working on something now that is using 1600x1216 sized maps,  composed of a background layer (50 / 38 32x32 tiles), and an additional foreground layer. with transparency, that is 100/76 16x16 sized tiles.  If you're just looking for practice, you can hook me up with a map according to those specs. Thanks!
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:19:16 AM »

Perhaps, but it's a disease to mankind you can pick up and use after 5 minutes of coding, if that.

Also, this thread has some discussion of level design techniques, with examples. You might want to have a look.
mirosurabu
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 03:19:35 PM »

I think OP wants to make levels for finished games (so he can test his levels easily). So, Game Maker, Construct and Ogmo are going out of the window.

Some games that come with level editor:

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (Windows downloadable, not sure it's free, can't remember)
Time Fcuk (free, flash game)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:28:28 PM by Miroslav Malesevic » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »

Spelunky. Or if you want something really basic, try RetroRaider.

ink.inc
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 09:48:32 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot that Spelunky has a level editor. Plus, Derek has the .gmk file available for anyone to copy the shit out of it learn from.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic