Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411570 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:08:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTight Horizon - Sky Spelling Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tight Horizon - Sky Spelling Game  (Read 1624 times)
Stane
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:51 AM »

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

I'd like to share with you a little game I cobbled up together while experimenting with this excellent mouse gesture recognition engine for Flash.

Tight horizons is an exercise in acrobatic flight. Press SHIFT to spell letters. Press UP for throttle. Right and Left arrows are used for steering. I tried to use Palm OS Graffiti, but I had to modify most of the strokes, so they could be performed by a biplane. Press H for hints. The word list is actually snatched from Scribblenauts. I don't know what half of these words mean.

Platform Flash

Click here to play
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:36:23 PM by Stane » Logged
FiaStarta
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:02:55 AM »

link is bad, and no flash loads using the right link anyway(?)
Stane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »

Silly me... borked BBcode... fixed now.
Eraser
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »

Interesting, but far from being polished enough.. game doesn't tell you how to play within itself, and the letter recognition is quite bad unless you use hints to find out how you decided the letters should be formed, and even then the engine often refuses to recognize my letters  Droop
Stane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »

Thanks for trying it out.

Hints are there for a reason. How long did you play it?

There is only a limited set of figures you could do with an "airplane", therefore I had to pick distinct form for each letter.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:20:58 AM by Stane » Logged
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 01:46:54 AM »

I really like the concept, I don't believe I've ever seen a sky writing game before.  I think this could be a lot of fun with some improvement to the letter recognition system.  With these sorts of things I find that it's really important to have the letter writing aspect feel natural; sometimes I would attempt to write a "C" and it would look just like a perfect "C" though it didn't recognize it. 

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 03:11:41 PM »

Very cool concept but you should widen the range of drawings it excepts.
Stane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »

Well the main problem with recognition is not the recognition engine. The gesture recognition engine is very robust and versatile. It's not a problem to add more patterns, perhaps several patterns for each letter. Problem is there is not so many distinct maneuvers that can be done with such controls :-/

I'll probably reuse the engine for some new game. But for this one I'm really not sure what to do.

Bit of practice is really all that is needed to get the hang of what the game expects. It worked for people that hang with it for some time. Then again if game is not engaging enough to keep you playing it for more then couple of minutes, that is obviously a problem.

Thanks for trying it out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic