Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 02:14:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDRYPOINT (open source)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: DRYPOINT (open source)  (Read 48793 times)
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2009, 09:13:33 AM »

Oh yea 3rd level is not done, I will complete it over the next week. I will also make multiple paths . like multiple dors

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »

What's the second height meter for? It just constantly moves up.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2009, 03:06:34 PM »

It will be a timer eventually. I decided to just leave it there for now Smiley

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »

Is diagonal jumps being longer a bug? Using them, its possible to finish the first level without using ij jumps. Also I am pretty sure It's possible to do the first level in under 45 seconds.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »

Yea it s means to be like that, so you can jump around a pillar in a single jump Smiley

XXIIVV

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »

You can jump around a pillar with a single jump without moving diagonally. I Have done programming myself and the real reason is that hes too lazy to make it work properly. (It is pretty annoying to fix it, but mostly just take a long time. And it could depend on the way the engine works.)
Flame
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »

Sorry for not posting about the game since I found a awesome glitch.
But, this glitch was for the last upload that you made for the new world that's in fall.

I haven't tried the glitch with the new download since I haven't had time to play it.

Well, basically you can jump infinity times and can go to the second level easily.

You do it by constantly jumping in the beginning or right after you die and then tap the backwards button and you will jump in the air.
I think it works like that since that's what I did and it worked.

Edit: Well, I played the new version and the glitch was gone. But, the game didn't really felt as fun as the first time I played the game with the huge level set up. It feels like the game is way too hard and not enough jumping higher and higher and instead just defeating a challenging area that you need some luck to beat it.

I think you should go back to the first level design and the size of the level and make more levels from there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:36:58 PM by Flame » Logged
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2009, 12:43:28 AM »

The diagonal jumping is deliberate, right? If so, neat. If not- jumping while pressing forward and left or right results in longer jumps.

I just played a newer version today- it feels more complete now. I'm gradually getting used to the ij jump finally. I made it to level 3, and was very excited to arrive in a new area. I'm not sure how to progress beyond the part with a series of ij jumps followed by what looks like a long jump around a pillar.

I have a couple of thoughts:
  • Sound will really help! Maybe some less standard cues would help make the jumping feel solid. For instance, perhaps it would be neat to have sound feedback for standing on solid ground versus over a drop.
  • A bit of camera squish on landing might feel nice.
  • What is the reason for the bunny hopping? I find it gets in the way during a few types of jumps. If this is deliberate, rather than something you plan to remove, I'd be curious to hear why you chose to leave it in.

I think it's extremely rad how I jump and miss the jump and fall all the way to the start and close the game and never play it again.
Yeah, it does take a certain acceptance of that idea... I don't know if the deliberate frustration is a positive or a negative thing, actually. My own enjoyment of the game seems to be mostly about getting better at the game, enjoying the esthetic, and exploring new areas. I wonder if it would be as fun if it were more forgiving? Maybe it would be, maybe it wouldn't.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2009, 12:13:21 PM »

Last release for a little while. This is my first game and doing it gave me idea for other projects which I want to try Smiley .
I am so thankful for all your support ! Thanks for your time to play my silly game and to give me feedback :D

See you around the forum :D

Here's the release for PC & MAC 9mb.

Bremze - you should add a way to restart the level after finishing it.
> Done Smiley Once you have completed the level, going back into the door will bring you to the beginning of the last area.

allen - I don't like that new jump mechanic. Too frustrating, I can't even get past the intro screen.
> I understand it's really frustrating, but it's a getting-used-to. I still have trouble with diagonal long jumps myself.

mkokekskmkokek - What's the second height meter for? It just constantly moves up.
> It's a timer, and also the height at which you should be at that time, but it does nothing for now.

Flame - Well, basically you can jump infinity times and can go to the second level easily.
> Fixed haha, CHEATAR !!!

Flame - It feels like the game is way too hard and not enough jumping higher and higher and instead just defeating a challenging area that you need some luck to beat it.
> Yea I agree, while it's a concern I have had since I redid the first level, I think I will work this way in another release or a different game. It's my first game and my first time really working on game design patterns. Sorry I couldn't fix this on this release

mkokekskmkokek - I Have done programming myself and the real reason is that hes too lazy to make it work properly.
> Haha, ACtually I made a circumference map for jump limitations, but it was fucking up the air control, so I removed it and found out diagonal jump was a cool mechanic. You need to use it to go through the 3rd level. Smiley Lazy pfft. !

Sparky - What is the reason for the bunny hopping?
> Diagonal bunny hopping will get you around 25% faster

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:16:30 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »

I still can't get past the what is now second level.

I still love it though. More than I love my lungs I think.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »

Haha thanks, here' I made you a small video to show you how to go through this part.

XXIIVV

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »

I think my question drowned in the sea of awesomeness  Wizard
So here goes again: How do you create the levels? Hard-coded, separate tool, or? 

Great work, I like the visual style of the game a lot!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »

The level design has really improved a lot since the earlier releases. The music works pretty nicely. I would love to see this with some sound effects too.

In terms of feedback, I have only a few suggestions, all of them minor.

The first is that I suspect a lot of people will be scared off by the trick jumps and the brutality of restarting so frequently. I'm idly wondering how the game might be made less intimidating to that audience, so here's an idea (not a suggestion, just an idea- this would result in a pretty different, potentially worse game). Arrange the world in such a way that there's a large hub world which is open rather than linear, with different areas available to people of different skill levels. That way people of any skill level can still explore and enjoy the world, and once they learn the different jumps they will gain access to new areas.

My second piece of feedback is that I felt the visuals were sort of mysterious, and somehow both intimidating and tranquil. I love this about the game. I like the music well enough, but it didn't quite match the impression the visuals gave me- I was imagining something a bit more melancholy and ambient would work (but that's likely just personal taste).

Great job, thank you so much for making this. I look forward to seeing future projects from you.
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »

I never knew that I like first person platforming so much, I'll have to try Mirrors Edge because of this game. :D

As I said earlier, I love the visual style and the level design, something in my subconsciousness adores the symmetry and I have always had a soft spot for low-res textures. I really liked that the game was challenging but fair. If you screw up, it was your fault not the rng's, thats one of the reasons why I can't get into most rogue-likes.

Looking forward to your future projects. I spent quite a lot of time on this game that you consider silly, a game you'll call 'proper' will probably eat all my time away. Crazy
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »

Finally made it through!

Awesome game, as I've said many times before!
Hope to see more like it in the future!

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2009, 01:24:50 AM »

I had played every build up to now, so I only died about 3 times on the final build, all on this jump in the third level:
(side view)
Code:
OOO     O: block
SOE     S: start
OOO     E: end
Jump around a pillar starting with a block over my head.

EDIT: here a picture:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3334/dry1.jpg
And I realized that that level has ground below, so that makes 0 deaths.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:40:01 AM by mokesmoe » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2009, 05:45:40 AM »

Hey, you folks are good! I can't beat the intro screen. To be honest, I'm actually surprised it's possible. After falling into the water a bunch, I took "this is a hard game" as truth, and left.

The first is that I suspect a lot of people will be scared off by the trick jumps and the brutality of restarting so frequently...

I'm not usually so blunt with my feedback, but whilst it looks wonderful, it's too difficult for me to progress further. Moreso, I have no real want to - just going to get harder, right?

On a more positive note, presentation is top notch! And your website is fantastic, in a subtle way.
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »

If you can beat the tutorial, you can beat the game. All the jumps are just variations of the tutorial ones.

The game is not that hard I swear! If you are having trouble with the tutorial, its probably the ij jump.
Check one of the two videos posted on this thread.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2009, 06:32:16 AM »

Hey the game is really great.  I love the colors and style to it.  The one thing that would be nice for you to add is a way to quit out of the game.  Maybe there is one but I dont know it but you need to have the escape key either quit or pause and give you an option to quit.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2009, 07:42:06 AM »

*Really* love the aesthetics of this, the music and style, especially the trees. Might well prove too hard for me though. I was getting genuinely frustrated at the first area, eventually managed to do it and the awesomeness of the second area made up for it. Haven't got past that yet though. The crazy jumps aren't really hard, just very tough to pull off consistently. Will play more in a bit.

Oh yeah and I found the way the music restarts when you die a bit jarring. Started to ruin the atmosphere after a while.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic